The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
My suggestion of Reid for Baker and our first was a little tongue in cheek.
Also after last weekend I wouldn't be worried about them taking Baker to the PSD, as it now looks more than likely that West Coasts first PSD pick will come after our own. We are also protected because the is no way Baker would screw us like that.

Enough. The media are having a field day. Martin, then Baker and Shai, and now Daniel.
Anything to be done must be done behind closed doors and will only include those who are out of contract, while anyone one chasing Dan and Shai should leave the place with the firm impression that to pursue the matter would be a matter left to Balmy to take care of.

So Baker, Graham and and possibly Martin. Can see these going. Compensation to be sorted, with hopefully our poor judgement last year over big Ivan, not repeating itself.

Last edited:

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
My suggestion of Reid for Baker and our first was a little tongue in cheek.
Also after last weekend I wouldn't be worried about them taking Baker to the PSD, as it now looks more than likely that West Coasts first PSD pick will come after our own. We are also protected because the is no way Baker would screw us like that.

Enough. The media are having a field day. Martin, then Baker and Shai, and now Daniel.
Anything to be done must be done behind closed doors and will only include those who are out of contract, while anyone one chasing Dan and Shai should leave the place with the firm impression that to pursue the matter would be a matter left to Balmy to take care of.

So Baker, Graham and and possibly Martin. Can see these going. Compensation to be sorted, with hopefully our poor judgement last year over big Ivan, not repeating itself.

Why was it poor judgement over Ivan? If we had kept him he would be playing in the VFL as Nank is our No. 1 ruck. The trade of Soldo was beneficial to both us and to him.

Reactions: 11 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Why was it poor judgement over Ivan? If we had kept him he would be playing in the VFL as Nank is our No. 1 ruck. The trade of Soldo was beneficial to both us and to him.
The final price was far too low. We should have fought for their first to be involved. When that became unavailable we should have insisted on a second future 2nd.
With our injuries this year he would certainly have not been playing VFL.

If Baker does elect to move home this year then their 1 st, not ours, should be involved. May be Broady also?

Last edited:

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
The final price was far too low. We should have fought for their first to be involved. When that became unavailable we should have insisted on a second future 2nd.

If Baker does elect to move home this year then their 1 st, not ours, should be involved. May be Broady also?
A second string vfa playing ruck doofus doesn't get traded for a first rounder.
Not Grundy. Not Nank.
No way would we pay something like that.
Which is the best test to see if its reasonable.

Port wanted Ivan, needed Ivan. Were completed by Ivan. But Not a first rounder.
Let it go man

Reactions: 5 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
A second string vfa playing ruck doofus doesn't get traded for a first rounder.
Not Grundy. Not Nank.
No way would we pay something like that.
Which is the best test to see if its reasonable.

Port wanted Ivan, needed Ivan. Were completed by Ivan. But Not a first rounder.
Let it go man
I think we underestimate his importance to Port Adelaide, who now have the best midfield in the competition, completed as it is now, by Ivy. On their way to a flag.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

What 1st? They didn't have 1. They'd traded their 1st in 2023 to North as part of the JHF trade, and they traded their 1st in 2024 immediately as soon as the trade period started to Freo and we got 1 of those 2nds as part of the deal. The other 2nd they got from Freo was traded to Geelong and became Pick 32.

We got 41 (which became Fawcett), 49 (which we swapped for 50) - so not much change there, plus a 4th from Port so somewhere around 65 I guess which we'll use the points to help us up the draft ladder.

A 1st was never an option so not sure why you are banging on that drum.

Reactions: 1 user

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
What 1st? They didn't have 1. They'd traded their 1st in 2023 to North as part of the JHF trade, and they traded their 1st in 2024 immediately as soon as the trade period started to Freo and we got 1 of those 2nds as part of the deal. The other 2nd they got from Freo was traded to Geelong and became Pick 32.

We got 41 (which became Fawcett), 49 (which we swapped for 50) - so not much change there, plus a 4th from Port so somewhere around 65 I guess which we'll use the points to help us up the draft ladder.

A 1st was never an option so not sure why you are banging on that drum.
They traded their first to Freo and a second, before they got down to us. No one was holding a gun to their head, but they knew we would not push too hard because we never do. Ivy was contracted.
And the around 65 you refer to is pretty much worthless.
Managers love us because we always look
after players which is a ✅ but includes giving in to demands for a trade
by contracted players we should keep like Ivan.
Once the club took a view that it wished to keep him that should have been the end of the matter unless the buyer upped the offer and we couldn’t say no.
But no we let him go for peanuts and then had to go out and look for a replacement.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Second year in a row Soldo asked for a trade. Pointless to force someone who doesn't want to be there to stay n play mainly magoos footy. Keep everyone happy by getting as much as you can for him before he walks out the door for nothing and a big *smile* you.

Reactions: 5 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
I think we underestimate his importance to Port Adelaide, who now have the best midfield in the competition, completed as it is now, by Ivy. On their way to a flag.
No I'm not. Valued Ivan highly and saw the benefit he brings, especially compared to the makeshift rucks that Port used last year.
But trades arent driven by preventing other teams getting better. Otherwise no trade gets done. Deledio to giants made them a better side. We traded and Giants traded because we both got value.
And we got great value for a bloke we were playing in the twos

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Second year in a row Soldo asked for a trade. Pointless to force someone who doesn't want to be there to stay n play mainly magoos footy. Keep everyone happy by getting as much as you can for him before he walks out the door for nothing and a big *smile* you.
Yep. At best he wouldve played 5-10 games for us this year. Like Naismith. In the 2s waiting for Nank.
He's not playing forward.
So he'd then walk at the end of the year for nothing.
And everyone has a bad taste in the mouth.

Reactions: 4 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
That’s what contracts are for. And every time we allow a contracted player to leave (without getting good compensation - read in this case draft pick compensation) then we make it easier for the next contracted player to make the same request.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
That’s what contracts are for. And every time we allow a contracted player to leave (without getting good compensation - read in this case draft pick compensation) then we make it easier for the next contracted player to make the same request.

So when we held him over a barrel and refused to trade him last year, then he would leave this year, I don't think he would have been a FA, but even trading this year we'd have got what? Probably 1 3rd as "compensation" for him. No doubt you would then complain about that yoo.

Sometimes a trade is fair to all 3 parties, we aren't the Dodo and Essendon. This one was IMO fair for all 3 parties, a good deal for Port (who if you look over the trade thread on BF last year, you had Port fans complaining they overpaid and some ridiculous statements that Sweet could do the same as Soldo), a good deal for Ivy as he moves from playing 2's footy to being the primary ruck (we were unlikely to play both he and Nank in the same team, they are both more comfortable floating back and being the free man in defence rather than resting forward), and it was ultimately fair compensation for us.

You seem to want to screw every team at the trade table which simply isn't realistic and isn't what good clubs do.

Reactions: 6 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
No I'm not. Valued Ivan highly and saw the benefit he brings, especially compared to the makeshift rucks that Port used last year.
But trades arent driven by preventing other teams getting better. Otherwise no trade gets done. Deledio to giants made them a better side. We traded and Giants traded because we both got value.
And we got great value for a bloke we were playing in the twos
I agree with the u tickle me and I’l tickle u part but this year we needed Ivan.
Premiership ruck, talls leaving and only Nank left to face bigger opponents over a long year.

Club first. The decision to let Ivan go in these circumstances was reckless and the further decision to see him to go off for not much more than a future 2nd (of uncertain value) to a club who was obviously going to benefit significantly, was straight out of a Christmas movie.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
So when we held him over a barrel and refused to trade him last year, then he would leave this year, I don't think he would have been a FA, but even trading this year we'd have got what? Probably 1 3rd as "compensation" for him. No doubt you would then complain about that yoo.

Sometimes a trade is fair to all 3 parties, we aren't the Dodo and Essendon. This one was IMO fair for all 3 parties, a good deal for Port (who if you look over the trade thread on BF last year, you had Port fans complaining they overpaid and some ridiculous statements that Sweet could do the same as Soldo), a good deal for Ivy as he moves from playing 2's footy to being the primary ruck (we were unlikely to play both he and Nank in the same team, they are both more comfortable floating back and being the free man in defence rather than resting forward), and it was ultimately fair compensation for us.

You seem to want to screw every team at the trade table which simply isn't realistic and isn't what good clubs do.
What nonsense. You seem to love putting
general description opinion about when the case is that u are doing so on no evidence.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Contracts are like bog paper, push to hard n ya get *smile* on your hand.

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
Contracts are like bog paper, push to hard n ya get *smile* on your hand.
OK but when we have one and we wish to see it honoured I don’t know maybe because we have built seasons plans around the player being available.
then maybe we could pull back and actually ask the player to do what he signed up for.1

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
What nonsense. You seem to love putting
general description opinion about when the case is that u are doing so on no evidence.

Its not nonsense. If we'd have hung onto him, he wouldn't have played many games, much like Naismith isn't and we would then lose all power by trading a guy at the end of 2024 who is then out of contract compared to when he was in contract last year.

Tell me what other non playing rucks go for on the open market? Jordan Sweet went for Pick 50 last, Nank went for a pick in the 30's. I'd hazard a guess that an out of contract Ivan would get us a pick around 40, you may disagree but the market sets the price. Not you or I.

We traded him last year for Freos 2nd in 2024, Pick 41 and Ports 4th in 2024 (I'll ignore the swap of 49 for 50) which is much better than 1 pick around 40, so not sure what you are getting at that it was a poor deal.

Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
But why?
Keep Soldo to play in the vfl?
IS that what we want as club?

Or do we trade and get a 2nd round pick?
Cos if we kept him this year he becomes uncontracted and walks for free.

And we arrange a backup ruck - Naismith - love him, a better footballer than Soldo.
Cheaper.
And we give Samson more opportunity.
The trade is much better for us as a club.
But because it didnt ream Port you're not happy.

Reactions: 10 users