The Blair "Which?" Project | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Blair "Which?" Project

Smoking Aces

Batten Down The Hatches
Sep 21, 2007
He helped win us a premiership in 2020 and would have been part of that partnership again.
Losing Nank should that occur, would further emphasise why his contract was extended to the end of 24.
Chol helped us win a premiership in 2020 although both didn’t actually play in the Grand Final.

The_General

It's been a very hard working from home
Staff member
May 4, 2004
Still in firm disagreement.

It cost 10s of millions each year and to go in and sacrifice the coverage we had for Nank, already the victim of a very tough season 23., was a huge mistake.
Leaving for this year the possibility that Port could trade for him, or try and get him via the PSD. (Fat chance).

Further he is an intelligent young man.

If someone had gone to the the trouble of explaining why such a course was necessary, I think he would have understood and accepted that reasoning. An increase in his salary might also have helped soften the blow.
We didn't sacrifice the coverage we had for nank. We have ruckman in reserve.

I'm unsure what you're claiming has cost us 10s of millions, but nothing re: Soldo cost us that much.

Please, read the interview. Before season 23 was over, he had made his mind to leave to further enhance his career. He was going. We either had to capitalise on the fact he had 12 months left and use it as leverage for the trade. Or, we could wait 12 months until he was out of contact and.....try convince him to stay as second fiddle to Nank?

Never going to happen.

Reactions: 3 users

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
We didn't sacrifice the coverage we had for nank. We have ruckman in reserve.

I'm unsure what you're claiming has cost us 10s of millions, but nothing re: Soldo cost us that much.

Please, read the interview. Before season 23 was over, he had made his mind to leave to further enhance his career. He was going. We either had to capitalise on the fact he had 12 months left and use it as leverage for the trade. Or, we could wait 12 months until he was out of contact and.....try convince him to stay as second fiddle to Nank?

Never going to happen.
He was going but he wasn't leaving by the PSD. He wasn't up to Free Agency. Does that not raise the possibility that we were still in a position to benefit from a trade. Port should have been even more "excited" about that possibility 12 months on.

Little Ziggyadee

Tiger Legend
Dec 30, 2021
Has Clarke left??
What an absolute howler not to notice Songilo (who was playing in our 2nds).
And to compound it we had 5 picks that draft and we still missed him.
And we used 2 on Sony & Banks.
I'm sick of tired of them missing kids who are playing in our jumper.
This isn't new. I remember Adelaide took John Klug from our 2's.
it's time this club started looking at the quality kids playing in the suburbs in Melbourne instead of always looking beyond.

Reactions: 2 users

bigwow

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2003
Melbourne
Interesting to think that come the start of the season 2025 the RFC may well be lesser another 4 Premiership Players.

Grimes - Retired

Martin Retired

Baker - Traded

Graham- Traded

Even if those 4 heroes and greats retire or move on the club still needs to cut ties with the likes of Dow and Hugo.

Even when you're refurbishing you still need to put the rubbish out.

I'm getting a retirement vibe from the great #4.
Prestia?

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
He was going but he wasn't leaving by the PSD. He wasn't up to Free Agency. Does that not raise the possibility that we were still in a position to benefit from a trade. Port should have been even more "excited" about that possibility 12 months on.
No, when a player is out of contract, the destination club has the leverage. Always has. Always will.
Your language is all wrong. We did benefit from a trade. We received picks back. If he went into this year with no contract, we'd have gotten less this year.
You're also not thinking about Port. Remember that this is Hinkley's last contract. They'll hand the team to their coach in waiting in 25.
They're giving Hinkley every chance to win a flag this year, while Dixon etc are still around. If they didn't get Soldo, they'd have gone somewhere else.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertime2

Our cup runneth over!
Mar 22, 2008
Soldo was a perfect fit for Port. We got fairly compensated.
Its a long season as #1 Ruck lets see how Soldo goes over the full season.
Hopefully for Port he stands tall with no injuries.
Nankervis helped us to 3 flags so far. You cant deny a guy who wants a fulltime position as #1 Ruck.

Reactions: 1 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Melbourne got pick 46 and Sydney's 2024 second-rounder for Brodie Grundy, arguably the second-best ruckman of his generation. In the same trade period we got picks 41, 49, Fremantle's 2024 second-rounder, and Port's 2024 fourth-rounder, for Ivan Soldo and pick 50.

We got the best deal we possibly could, for essentially a reserves player.

Reactions: 12 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
kind of seeing it as a flush-out year ..

we are armed with draft picks that will undoubtedly increase come the end of the season - ladder position, retirements, trades..

some of it we can control, some of it we can't ..

what does Bruce Lee say? ..."be like water.."

momentai

Tiger Legend
Jul 24, 2004
Melb
General and others. I agree we did receive some benefit, but don’t agree that it was
adequate.
It was a poor deal which also broke up plans to have a back up for Nank and was one we shouldn’t have to have made.

According to your approach we would have to agree to try and trade a contracted player whenever such a request is made.? Rioli Bolton…

Ed and Collingwood ignored the contract Collingwood had with Treloar and pounded away at Treloar until he left.
Extreme example but that is where we finish up.

Last edited:

Jason King

Forever the GOAT
Jul 19, 2007
Adelaide, South Australia
Has Clarke left??
What an absolute howler not to notice Songilo (who was playing in our 2nds).
And to compound it we had 5 picks that draft and we still missed him.
And we used 2 on Sony & Banks.
I'm sick of tired of them missing kids who are playing in our jumper.
This isn't new. I remember Adelaide took John Klug from our 2's.
it's time this club started looking at the quality kids playing in the suburbs in Melbourne instead of always looking beyond.

Klug was my old mans fave player.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
General and others. I agree we did receive some benefit, but don’t agree that it was
adequate.
It was a poor deal which also broke up plans to have a back up for Nank and was one we shouldn’t have to have made.

According to your approach we would have to agree to try and trade a contracted player whenever such a request is made.? Rioli Bolton…

Ed and Collingwood ignored the contract Collingwood had with Treloar and pounded away at Treloar until he left.
Trelol, Grundypants, ( someone else? ) n it won them a flag n now they've got salary cap room to chase a couple of key players and refresh their list.
It's a funny thing about contracts, clubs can push n shove even burn players and everyone shrugs their shoulders n moves on. But heaven help the *smile* player that feels the need for a career change / improvement or to go back home. Nothing but low life self centered traitors.

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
So the argument for not trading Soldo is that we needed a backup for Nank.
And the irony is that this is the one spot where we have great backup. Naismith a real footballer who in fab form in the vfl. Easily a better footballer thank Soldo and an equal as a ruck... Ryan as an improving ruck forward also in good form and getting opportunity to grow.

The club effectively replaced Soldo as backup through a free acquisition and got draft picks.

Reactions: 6 users

Tass

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 3, 2005
Good grief. There are a lot of people with short memories and dismissive of recent history. Offloading players en masse for the sake of stockpiling picks DOES NOT WORK. This leaves you anchored to the bottom and with a fractured culture that needs to be rebuilt. No thanks. How have the stockpiling of early picks gone for GCS or GWS??? A premiership is built through a combination of key elements that does not exclusively involve selling your current stars for the sake of an early pick that may end up not working out.

Reactions: 6 users

The_General

Staff member
May 4, 2004
adequate.

That's not what I said.
We didn't trade Soldo the year before....because we wanted him and had leverage to keep him. This year, coming into his last year of a contract, we didn't have as much leverage if we kept him.

I'm beginning to question if you're reading things properly.
Naismith....Sampson.....back-ups to Nank.....

Too tired to continue this conversation.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
adequate.

1 - Can you show us the value of rucks (in trade value of previous trade periods) of players that weren't number 1 rucks at their current club. Show us how we were not compensated adequately.

2 - The point you make about "broke up plans to have a back up for Nank" is incorrect. As General has said we have Naismith (who we got for free) and Samson on our list. How many rucks do you expect to be on our list outside of the Cat B's?