The Coach | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Coach

RFC not KFC

Tiger Superstar
May 2, 2003
I often find myself thinking about Spud as coach of the RFC and how he came to be here. Why would a proud club with a history of success (stress history) appoint a full back who played with a club with that couldn't spell success, let alone taste taste it, to lead them out of the dark ages? Have a look at has coached premiership teams recently- Matthews, Malthouse, Sheedy, Blight, Parkin, Walls, Pagan. Apart from Pagan (who played in a Grand Final) the one thing they all have in common is that they PLAYED in PREMIERSHIPS.

I bet Frawley wouldn't hire a footballer with no knowledge of potatoes to run his Spud farm - so why did we take a footballer with no understanding of success?

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Why is it so, you ask?

As has been stated on this forum many times before, for anybody who wants to hear it, because nobody else wanted to coach us at the time, basically.

Why? Because of our track record with sacking coaches.

That about sums it up I reckon.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Maybe the track record of sacking coaches is something to do with our inability to choose the right one in the first place.

Despite our track record I suspect there would be quite a queue putting their hand up if the position became available.

We mightn't have been first choice for coaches when we got Danny, but remember there were a lot of positions up for grabs at other teams that year too.

If a person is too wimpy to coach Richmond in case they'll be sacked, I doubt they have the right character for the job anyway.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
rosy3 said:
We mightn't have been first choice for coaches when we got Danny, but remember there were a lot of positions up for grabs at other teams that year too.

And so we would have been the last choice at the time because ...

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
What's your point MC?

Maybe prospective coaches might see that we've made great efforts to create some stability and sensibility on the off field departmant.

Do you think we have to keep every coach full term in future despite how the club is travelling, just because a couple have been sacked or retired prematurely in the past?

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Bartlett didn't get a new contract after 4 years.
Jeans resigned because of ill health.
Northey left when we didn't offer him an extension on his contract when he still had a year to go.
Walls sacked.
Gieschen sacked.
Frawley ?

The Eagles have won 2 grandfinals made the finals for TEN YEARS IN A ROW and have had 5 coaches in the time frame as the above coaches.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
rosy3 said:
What's your point MC?

Maybe prospective coaches might see that we've made great efforts to create some stability and sensibility on the off field departmant.

Do you think we have to keep every coach full term in future despite how the club is travelling, just because a couple have been sacked or retired prematurely in the past?

I was only answering RFC not KFC's query Rosy.

I agree that prospective coaches would view the changes recently made as a step in the right direction.

But why have we been able to make those changes? Because we finally stopped sacking coaches and accepted that the Club as a whole has been stuffed for the past two decades. It has not just been the coach's fault that we have been unsuccessful for so long. But that didn't stop us from making that the solution to all our problems.

If things are obviously not going as they should, with any coach, then (as I have said before), the right people should make the right decision at the right time. I do not have a problem with that.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
rosy3 said:
Maybe the track record of sacking coaches is something to do with our inability to choose the right one in the first place.

Spot on Rosy.

Just as the coach must take responsibility for the performance of the players the board must take responsibility for the performance of the coach.

IMHO to build a successful club you must appoint the right people at the top and the rest will take care of itself. For too long Richmond has been run by ametures, has-beens and people who are just plain incompetant.

Just look at Collingwood once Eddie took over. Everything just came together. He appointed Swan and Malthouse and consequently Malthouse cleaned out the list and started rebuilding. Greg Swan turned their finances around in 12 months and now they rival the crows and WC as the richest clubs in the league.

Hopefully Miller, Casey and Campbell will appoint the right man to succeed Frawley and if they do you'll find on-field matters will quickly take care of themselves.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
TigerFurious said:
Just as the coach must take responsibility for the performance of the players the board must take responsibility for the performance of the coach.

IMHO to build a successful club you must appoint the right people at the top and the rest will take care of itself. For too long Richmond has been run by ametures, has-beens and people who are just plain incompetant.

Hopefully Miller, Casey and Campbell will appoint the right man to succeed Frawley and if they do you'll find on-field matters will quickly take care of themselves.

Yes TF, but first you have to accept that there are problems within the Club. By continually making the coach the scapegoat, everybody else, including the administration, got off scott free. Only when we stopped making the coach the scapegoat did we set about to make the necessary changes within the Club.

Hence, we now have Miller and Campbell at the Club.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Exactly MC24, Malthouse has had nothing but 100% support and stability for 3 and a half years, something not afforded to Frawley.

Mind you, Collingwood still haven't won a premiership.

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
When Judge was appointed to replace Malthouse as coach of the Eagles, there was a unaminous vote of approval by everyone.
He had coached East Fremantle to a premiership had taken Hawthorn to the finals a couple of times.
Two years later they have a rethink, sack judge and give Worsfold the job, the rest is history.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
Dean3 said:
Exactly MC24, Malthouse has had nothing but 100% support and stability for 3 and a half years, something not afforded to Frawley.

:eek: What are you trying to do Dean, de-stabilise Collingwood? Can I help? ;D

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
TigerFurious said:
rosy3 said:

Spot on Rosy.

Just look at Collingwood once Eddie took over. Everything just came together. He appointed Swan and Malthouse and consequently Malthouse cleaned out the list and started rebuilding. Greg Swan turned their finances around in 12 months and now they rival the crows and WC as the richest clubs in the league.

we finally got our football department in order THIS year.was malthouse successful straight away NO!.
if we want to be up there we have to spend the money to get the cream.you cant expect to be succesful on a shoe string budget.
spend some extra cash on some spotters so we dont leave no stone unturned come draft day.

antigravity

I'm a llama!
Mar 29, 2003
From the top of my head, hasn't all our recent presidents and head honcho's been business men moreso than business men that love the game of football and more to the point, the Richmond Football Club?

I think what makes Eddie McGuire such a great president, is not only does he have the nouse, intelligence and know how to run a business, but he also loves Aussie Rules, and the Collingwood Football Club.

Too many times, presidents of football clubs don't understand football enough, and concentrate too much on the financial side of things, with the success of the club on the football field only being relevant due to the rise in ticket, merchandise and membership sales that comes with it.

This is where Eddie differs. He actually cares emotionally about the Pies and how they go on the footy field.

I just get the feeling that the people that have been running this club for the past 10-20 years have done so out of their own interests (to advertise themselves for future business ventures etc) moreso than the club's.

Brayshaw was a perfect example of this. How long was he at the club before something better popped up?

Dave

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
If you pay peanuts you will get a monkey. Thats why we got Frawley. If we offered the right sort of money, no potential coach would give a rats about our track record.

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
diggler said:
If you pay peanuts you will get a monkey. Thats why we got Frawley. If we offered the right sort of money, no potential coach would give a rats about our track record.

So, like Blight, they would be coaching us for all the right reasons hey Diggler?

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Dean3 said:

When has frawley not enjoyed 100% support?

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
TigerFurious said:

The kind of support I mean is of having additional support in the coaching department, with Wayne Brittain and someone like a Greg Miller around the Club.

He has only had that sort of support this season.

The support from the Board means very little really if he is not being supported in the way that most coaches are nowadays, with the myriad of coaching staff surrounding the Coach.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
TigerFurious said:

From 2000 - 2002 we had one of the lowest Footy Dept payrolls in the league. This season it is on par with the top clubs.

It has also been well documented that we are down on numbers in the recruiting area.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
diggler said:
your an absolute tosser!our track record was the reason we got spud.
btw who were these so called high priced unemployed coach,s at the time?