The Concise Gabba Training Report - by Julz | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Concise Gabba Training Report - by Julz

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Well risking and limb on the M1 and nearly having my car side-swiped thanks to some idiot who couldn't tie down his large roll of insulation or whatever it was, I made it to the Gabba in one piece for my first ever Richmond training session with time to spare and a good carpark to boot.

A small crowd of Tigers supporters enjoyed the warm and sunny 22 degrees conditions. Danny Frawley was a good 5 minutes on the ground before the rest of the team made an appearance. Matthew Rogers was noticeable as the last player on the ground and had to catch up with the rest of the group. Contrary to previous reports, Brad Ottens seemed to train strongly as did Ben Holland, although most of the training was on the furthest side of the ground away from spectators.
It was good to see Marc Dragicevic on the field.

I managed an autograph, photo and brief chat with Dale "Flea" Weightman. Interesting to note Leigh Matthews, Craig Lambert and Craig Starcevich all taking note of the Tigers training, much to the annoyance of Spud, who cut training to just under an hour. Actually if it wasn't for Dale Weightman, I would have missed grabbing hold of Richo as the players, with the exception of Campbo, made straight for the changerooms. Richo seemed anxious to go and do his cool-down stretches but still managed to sign his name on behalf of my daughter. Signatures were also grabbed from A.K. and Spud. Chris Hyde spent a little bit more time on the field and was by far the last person to leave the ground.

Afterwards, much to the delight of my 3 year old son, we managed to have a bit of a kick on the ground, with Mum actually kicking a goal and having two near misses (they were touched - but take note Richo). An official came out and ordered everyone off the ground much to the anguish of my son. Wayne Campbell re-emerged, having spotted friends or relatives and posed for photos and signed autographs for supporters. Joel Bowden briefly popped out and showed what a dry sense of humour he has.

As I was leaving the ground, I ran into Dale Weightman again who told me to hang around where I was as I would catch the players. Alas, Murphy's Law prevailed and the only players that happened to come my way were Wayne Campbell, Kane Johnson, Leon Cameron and Mark Chaffey. Chaffey obliged with an autograph, with the pen starting to let me down on this occasion and waved goodbye to us as Wayne Campbell made an illegal u-turn in Stanley Street. I wandered further down the road only to see David Rodan and Brad Ottens off in the distance, being the last players to leave.

All in all, it was with mixed emotions that saw me pack up my overwrought son who was crying that Richo wasn't coming home with us (his words not mine), seven autographs gotten and 11 photos (which will probably turn out with the players missing the tops of their heads).

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
Good on ya julz. Nice reporting.

It's a pity Richo couldn't come home with you and your son. I'm sure you could have found a nice cellar for him. ;D

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Thanks for the report, Julz. Good to hear everyone is fit and ready to go :).

julzqld said:
All in all, it was with mixed emotions that saw me pack up my overwrought son who was crying that Richo wasn't coming home with us (his words not mine),

haha...we all know where he learnt that from. Julz :rollin. Only gagging ;).

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
julzqld said:
I managed an autograph, photo and brief chat with Dale "Flea" Weightman.

Well done Julz - great report :D.

Though you've got me worried about the roads up there - seeing I am headingdown to Surferes for the day tomorrow before the game. ;)

Isn't Flea a great bloke? I knew there was a reason why I had his number of my duffle coat all those years.

and may I ask... what's the weather forecast for tomorrow night ? Don't care about the day as I am indoors but the evening :-\

JohnF

LMFAOOO
Mar 29, 2003
LMAO laff, wonder if condemned men often go "yeah nah" walking to the gallows.

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
Thanks for that Julz - excellent report :D

Any significance in Hyde staying out on the track? Did he look like a bloke preparing to play, or a bloke dreaming about getting a game one day?

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Hopefully Lambert was taking notes on how not to coach us next year.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
Not Lambert, O'Donnell.

He's played in premierships under Sheedy and has spent the last few years under Matthews. Even Spud would learn something about coaching if he had that kind of background... Maybe.

johnson2richo2003

"Players stop improving is the day i leave."
Dec 19, 2002
TigerFurious said:
Not Lambert, O'Donnell.

He's played in premierships under Sheedy and has spent the last few years under Matthews. Even Spud would learn something about coaching if he had that kind of background... Maybe.
actually IF spud walks or whatever i wouldnt mind o'donnell as coach.have my doubts scotty turner would be part of his team tho ;D

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
After watching the game tonight I wonder how some on this list would have reacted if we had Bomber THOMPSON as coach.

After all he was high on the list along with ken JUDGE.

Bomber played under SHEEDY and was an assistant to PAGAN, but his success record is no better than spuds.

Ken JUDGE is also now unemployed.

Interested to hear others views. as spud was allegedly the only coach who would take us on. Well some of the others who wouldn't haven't exactly being raging successes.

This of course was after SHEEDS turned us down as well.

julzqld

Do or do not - there is no try!
Dec 17, 2002
Palm Beach, Queensland
Dean3 said:
Thanks for that Julz - excellent report :D

Any significance in Hyde staying out on the track? Did he look like a bloke preparing to play, or a bloke dreaming about getting a game one day?

Not sure but whilst I remember Pettifer was there training and I heard someone say that Rory Hilton was there.

KL - the drive is normally a pretty smooth one with the odd exceptions of course. Just watch out for speed cameras!

I did ask Dale why the Tigers went to the Sunshine Coast and not the Gold Coast and he said something about the training facilities and I asked whether the Gold Coast would prove to be too much of a distraction to which he nodded emphatically. He also laughed at my suggestion of feeding passenger players to the crocs at Australia Zoo.

Oh and the weather - expecting a high of 22 and a low of 11 but sunny, clear day

Fireman_Sam

A 'non-sexual' example of the 69 position
Feb 26, 2003
Wales
Pettifer, king and Hyde all trained with the main group.

Campbell is 100 to 1 to play, he just jogged and dished off a few handballs ..

Rory Hilton isn't up here .. It was Justin Blumfield in Hilton's number 1 jumper, who trained and he trained pretty well and hard..

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Why is Blumfield there when he isn't ready and isn't an emergency. Have the tigers got excess funds to be spending on such things?

gustiger12

Its Tiger Time
Jan 22, 2003
www.thaigerpics.com
Maybe he went maximise his training time in an attempt to get as much fitness under his belt before he returns.

Danny could do worse than have his experience in the box on game day.

You never know he may have even paid his own airfare. God forbid he actually show a bit of loyalty and support to the club.