The final eight next season | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The final eight next season

The Daicos boys along with Pendles and Sidebottom's fountain of youth. A bit like Geelong the year before.

It looks as if we are still believing our oldies can go again. I'm not so sure, although I totally understand the sentimental wrench to keep the faith in our champs.

My issue is that 2023 was supposed to be our last-ditch effort to grab another flag, but judging by our approach to trade week, we don't seem to be letting go of that dream.

Objectively speaking, the coach bailed, we lost two superstars, and there is ample evidence that our older bit players and our new-gen players are not as good as we thought. It is very doubtful that Grimesy, Dion, Tommy, Dusty and Nank can carry the load. More testimonial years?

The club is in a real bind. We want to be loyal to our faithful servants, but meanwhile we watch other sides clearly going past our current list. Many teams are playing lightning-fast sides that can kick with precision. That is not us.

At least it's a great opportunity for the "play the kids" adherents to see what happens...
Agree with this. I suppose Ooze mentioned 'play the kids' part and also hinted about fixing our disposal. We just have to take another step back to see how the new engine works after 14 years.

The Daicos boys along with Pendles and Sidebottom's fountain of youth. A bit like Geelong the year before.

It looks as if we are still believing our oldies can go again. I'm not so sure, although I totally understand the sentimental wrench to keep the faith in our champs.

My issue is that 2023 was supposed to be our last-ditch effort to grab another flag, but judging by our approach to trade week, we don't seem to be letting go of that dream.

Objectively speaking, the coach bailed, we lost two superstars, and there is ample evidence that our older bit players and our new-gen players are not as good as we thought. It is very doubtful that Grimesy, Dion, Tommy, Dusty and Nank can carry the load. More testimonial years?

The club is in a real bind. We want to be loyal to our faithful servants, but meanwhile we watch other sides clearly going past our current list. Many teams are playing lightning-fast sides that can kick with precision. That is not us.

At least it's a great opportunity for the "play the kids" adherents to see what happens...
Not sure “play the kids” is the answer unless we get some new kids. The current batch are not very good and a significant factor in our decline.

Since 2019, our drafting has been poor. Two rising star nominations in the four years since is testament to that (we had three nominations in 2019 alone!). We bet a lot on the 2021 superhunks draft and to date they have been very disappointing. The best of the lot, Gibcus, is no certainty to even play again let alone reach the heights promised in his first year, further compounding the problem

On top of that, we effectively traded ourselves out of two drafts (2022 and 2023) which means we are now looking at six years minimum of sub-standard draft returns. That is going to leave some very significant holes in our list for years to come

This could change if some of our younger players improve dramatically. Unfortunately from what we’ve seen so far, few if any of them look capable of reaching the level we need to stop our slide.

But then again, what do I know?

Reactions: 1 users
Not sure “play the kids” is the answer unless we get some new kids. The current batch are not very good and a significant factor in our decline.

Since 2019, our drafting has been poor. Two rising star nominations in the four years since is testament to that (we had three nominations in 2019 alone!). We bet a lot on the 2021 superhunks draft and to date they have been very disappointing. The best of the lot, Gibcus, is no certainty to even play again let alone reach the heights promised in his first year, further compounding the problem

On top of that, we effectively traded ourselves out of two drafts (2022 and 2023) which means we are now looking at six years minimum of sub-standard draft returns. That is going to leave some very significant holes in our list for years to come

This could change if some of our younger players improve dramatically. Unfortunately from what we’ve seen so far, few if any of them look capable of reaching the level we need to stop our slide.

But then again, what do I know?
Totally agree. I have long had a theory that you know after six games with about 70% of recruits. Those of us who remember Geoff Raines play his first games in the twos might agree. Young players need a strong point of difference to give you real hope. In the post flag years we just can't seem to nab the ones who demand to be picked.
I don't think we have many young players who are sought after by other clubs and that is a big worry. There might be a change in direction with Yze after he sees what he's working with. I hope I'm not being pessimistic but I look at other clubs and I am suffering from a bad case of list jealousy.
Hawthorn let all their champs go cheaply and that was a big call but in the scheme of things, it's looking like a fair call at this stage.
We are between a rock and a hard place with Prestia, Grimes, Dusty and Nank. All warriors who are still capable, but they are as banged up as Cotch and Jack.

Reactions: 2 users
Totally agree. I have long had a theory that you know after six games with about 70% of recruits. Those of us who remember Geoff Raines play his first games in the twos might agree. Young players need a strong point of difference to give you real hope. In the post flag years we just can't seem to nab the ones who demand to be picked.
I don't think we have many young players who are sought after by other clubs and that is a big worry. There might be a change in direction with Yze after he sees what he's working with. I hope I'm not being pessimistic but I look at other clubs and I am suffering from a bad case of list jealousy.
Hawthorn let all their champs go cheaply and that was a big call but in the scheme of things, it's looking like a fair call at this stage.
We are between a rock and a hard place with Prestia, Grimes, Dusty and Nank. All warriors who are still capable, but they are as banged up as Cotch and Jack.
It’s the ‘cost of the ballistic” game style we played from 17-22.

Those ‘group of player” brought us joy, success, a dynasty!

You treat them accordingly.

I doubt ‘anyone ‘ would have come hard for any of our ‘warriors.”

Next year I have hope. It’s largely dependent of two keys.

Lynch & Gibcus.

Hopefully a rejuvenated Kosi.

Hope . We have to have some for 24.

It could be an exciting year or it could be a disaster.

Anything from 5-16.

Will be pretty “unbelievable “ for ‘history to repeat itself” as it did in 2017 after a disastrous 2016.

I have hope for a lot of our youngsters !

Waiting’s view
———————-

The 8 Well my 14. I have mine in groups.
—————————————————————

In no order: BL, Melb, GWS,

PA, Adelaide, Swans, Pies

Dogs, GCS, Carlton , Tigers

Saints, Essendon, Fremantle.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user