The game today !! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The game today !!

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
I started watching football at Punt Road Oval when I was about nine years old at Punt Road Oval watching Tiger greats Jack Dyer, Mopsy Fraser, Roy Wright etc etc late 1940's. Playing started at CBC St Augustine's Yarraville then Sunshine Under 16/18s ,in the Navy , Reservoir-Lakeside Diamond Valley League & Melbourne Metropolitan Fire Brigade teams. Only 18 players 19/20th man. Top four teams played off or the flag two semis one prelim & a Grand Final all played mainly on a Saturday.

In those days we had one umpire two boundary two goal umpires. The grounds were either rock hard or a swamp. Basically it was mans game & not for the faint hearted

We did not have four umpires four boundary umpires & the following

No Block
No protected area
No out of bounds on the full
No deliberate out of bounds
No 6 6 6.
No square
No Sellwood duck rule
No stand
No arm chop
No 50 metres
No umpire dissent
No Final 8
No Draft
No Sub
No Concussion protocols
No Camera replays for touched goals/points
No run out of square after point kicked
No final 8

When you look at todays game it is a sanitized of the real game in the late 1940/50/60's. The game was supposed to be improved by all of the above yet the injury list week in week week out makes you wonder ,has it ?. What is left for the wannabees to add another No ?.

Reactions: 7 users

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
I started watching football at Punt Road Oval when I was about nine years old at Punt Road Oval watching Tiger greats Jack Dyer, Mopsy Fraser, Roy Wright etc etc late 1940's. Playing started at CBC St Augustine's Yarraville then Sunshine Under 16/18s ,in the Navy , Reservoir-Lakeside Diamond Valley League & Melbourne Metropolitan Fire Brigade teams. Only 18 players 19/20th man. Top four teams played off or the flag two semis one prelim & a Grand Final all played mainly on a Saturday.

In those days we had one umpire two boundary two goal umpires. The grounds were either rock hard or a swamp. Basically it was mans game & not for the faint hearted

No Block
No protected area
No 6 6 6.
No square
No Sellwood duck rule
No stand
No arm chop
No 50 metres
No umpire dissent
No Final 8
No Draft
No Sub
No Concussion protocols
No final 8

When you look at todays game it is a sanitized of the real game in the late 1940/50/60's. The game was supposed to be improved by all of the above yet the injury list week in week week out makes you wonder ,has it ?. What is left for the wannabees to add another No ?.
This has become a generational change.And at this rate footyball will have players of all sexes in the one side,consisting of tag chassie and there will be no winners in any game so as not to hurt people's feelings.

Reactions: 1 user

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
It was the beginning of the end when the place kick, and then later, the stab kick stopped being used.

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
It was the beginning of the end when the place kick, and then later, the stab kick stopped being used.
but the drop kick 7 points for a goal..........now that should be introduced.

Reactions: 2 users

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
I missed the AFL Appeals Board . They have made two decisions in the last twelve months sic Maynard & Charlie Cameron which even has the drovers dog scratching his you know where as to how they made those inept decisions.

Reactions: 1 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK

No Block
No protected area
No 6 6 6.
No square
No Sellwood duck rule
No stand
No arm chop
No 50 metres
No umpire dissent
No Final 8
No Draft
No Sub
No Concussion protocols
No final 8

From the limited video info I have watched the game, up until the late 1980's the game was a bit of a blood sport where only the tough and skilled survived. Sounds like a game I would have enjoyed and a bit like playing rugby in the highveld in the seventies and eighties from which I still have the scars. I have only watch the game since 2001 and have noted that it may be faster but gradually became more bruise free and over officiated. I still enjoy watching the game for all the AFL interference but have concerns about its future when the AFL keep meddling with it

Last edited:

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
At seasons end the brain trust will sit down & introduce a new tickle to our game. Why because they have to !. Not much left is there so maybe a Captains Call as in Rugby League. Besides that maybe a Yellow Card for an offence in regards to a head high & if two in the game Sin Bin for rest of the game with no sub used.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
From the limited video info I have watched the game, up until the late 1980's the game was a bit of a blood sport where only the tough and skilled survived. Sounds like a game I would have enjoyed and a bit like playing rugby in the highveld in the seventies and eighties from which I still have the scars. I have only watch the game since 2021 and have noted that it may be faster but gradually became more bruise free and over officiated. I still enjoy watching the game for all the AFL interference but have concerns about its future when the AFL keep meddling with it

I would agree that the game is less bruising, but over-officiated? No way.

The umpiring is woeful. Blatant free kicks, especially throwing and holding the man, are routinely ignored and occasionally paid. Holding the man/ball has always been an issue but at the moment it is a dog's breakfast, no-one can tell what they will decide in any given situation. Push in the back - seems to depend on who you are as to whether you concede a free or not.

The game has become more professional, and at the same time the number of frees given has fallen a lot from the old days. What ends up happening is that, with the game becoming more professional, the teams work out the free kicks which are regularly and consistently paid and those which are often ignored, then they push the envelope as far as they can on the frees often ignored. It has become a joke.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Umpiring has probably always been bad.
The difference is these days is the countless slow motion replays & 15 different camera angles.

Big change for me from the past is how fit players are now.
The game was not designed around 23 strong, fast, marathon runners with 5 on the bench. There were 2 guys who could run all day up until the 90s.
Now they all can.
I honestly think that is a big reason why we are seeing so many injuries including concussions.
Once there were two players in the camera frame, now there's 15. The game is congested beyond belief.

Reactions: 9 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
The difference is these days is the countless slow motion replays & 15 different camera angles.

The game was not designed around 23 strong, fast, marathon runners with 5 on the bench. There were 2 guys who could run all day up until the 90s.
Now they all can.
I honestly think that is a big reason why we are seeing so many injuries including concussions.
Once there were two players in the camera frame, now there's 15. The game is congested beyond belief.

Which is why I get so p!!ssed off about the lack of enforcement of holding the man. In a congested game giving players the opportunity to get the ball before they are tackled is even more necessary than it was years ago, but players are grabbed before they get the ball. Take that out of the game and you get more opportunity for players to get the ball free of congestion. This would cause a reaction where you can't have everyone on the ball.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

UKTiger

Tiger Legend
Jul 11, 2010
Shipston on Stour, UK

The umpiring is woeful. Blatant free kicks, especially throwing and holding the man, are routinely ignored and occasionally paid. Holding the man/ball has always been an issue but at the moment it is a dog's breakfast, no-one can tell what they will decide in any given situation. Push in the back - seems to depend on who you are as to whether you concede a free or not.

The game has become more professional, and at the same time the number of frees given has fallen a lot from the old days. What ends up happening is that, with the game becoming more professional, the teams work out the free kicks which are regularly and consistently paid and those which are often ignored, then they push the envelope as far as they can on the frees often ignored. It has become a joke.

DS
I hear what you say and go along with your better knowledge of the game but what l mean about over officiating is when l first watched the game in 2001 and not 2021 as l mistyped in my post, the umps seemed to allow the game to flow more before blowing for a free but now they seem to be ready to blow for a free almost before it happens. I accept the the rules are evolving so more foul play is possible and the umpiring is often biased for a particular player and that diminishes the game.

tommystigers

Don't Boo! It is hurtful to the inept and corrupt.
Oct 6, 2004

Now they all can.
Which is why the interchange needs to go. 5 subs max. That’s it. Once you’re off, you’re off. If you have more than 5 injuries, bad luck. You play with seventeen.

If you get a head knock and are required to be checked you are done for the day. It is called duty of care.

There is so much wrong with AFL football they need to start by chopping off the dead wood rules and get it simplified for the sake of the game’s future. My 2c.

Reactions: 3 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003

Now they all can.
Umpiring has always been bad depending on your club bias Oldie, but that aside it gets near on impossible to adjudicate the game well. When you can hardly see what's going on in the game, even with four bloody umpires out there.
Simply as you have pointed out here the modern game is far to congested. Apart from a handful of ruck or KPP blokes in each side the other 18 players can run like *smile* rabbits. There's always a dozen or more players contesting around a rolling maul then as soon as the ball slips out it's helter skelter down the field to try n score.

AFLHQ needs to catch up with the modern game and change to 16 players a side with an interchange of 6 and unlimited rotations. Four less players will help ease on field congestion.
Or simply cut the interchange bench and rotations way way back to perhaps 3 interchange and a maximum of 30 to 40 rotations. This would enable way less burst sprinting and force more moderate paced, hold field position stamina.
Either way would greatly reduce the constant rolling mauls and open the game up to a bit more precision skills and marking contests.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010

DS
VGI

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
AFLHQ needs to catch up with the modern game and change to 16 players a side with an interchange of 6 and unlimited rotations. Four less players will help ease on field congestion.
Or simply cut the interchange bench and rotations way way back to perhaps 3 interchange and a maximum of 30 to 40 rotations. This would enable way less burst sprinting and force more moderate paced, hold field position stamina.
Either way would greatly reduce the constant rolling mauls and open the game up to a bit more precision skills and marking contests.
Absolutely.
I once was never an advocate of 16 on the pitch but am now. Concussion has to be the no 1 consideration for the future of the game.
Less players on the field can only help. Not to mention give players more room to execute their skills & make it easier for umpires to officiate the game.
Plus with the expansion franchises there will be more talent to go around.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Umpiring has always been bad depending on your club bias Oldie, but that aside it gets near on impossible to adjudicate the game well. When you can hardly see what's going on in the game, even with four bloody umpires out there.
Simply as you have pointed out here the modern game is far to congested. Apart from a handful of ruck or KPP blokes in each side the other 18 players can run like *smile* rabbits. There's always a dozen or more players contesting around a rolling maul then as soon as the ball slips out it's helter skelter down the field to try n score.

The crowd can see the when obvious frees are not paid. I was at Tigers /WC on Sunday & the roar from the crowd when a WC free was denied it must have been heard in Kalgoorlie. Last night at Bullies/Zaints Treloar threw a rugby pass for all to see. Not one ump put the whistle to his gob. I would like to see umps back to three with two on the ground one on the bench & rotate one off one on each quarter.

Tigaman

Tiger Champion
May 23, 2010
Absolutely.
I once was never an advocate of 16 on the pitch but am now. Concussion has to be the no 1 consideration for the future of the game.
Less players on the field can only help. Not to mention give players more room to execute their skills & make it easier for umpires to officiate the game.
Plus with the expansion franchises there will be more talent to go around.
I thought they stopped the congestion with 666. 16 a side seen that with VFA years ago not very exciting at all.