The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

And Selwood said last that he doesn't want to bottom out, wants to fight and fight. Wasn't much of that happening last night Duckwood.
Every player would want to drive the car until the tires wear out. The list management would have very different ideas. Will come down to who has the most influence internally. If Danger and Selwood do they will destroy the club for their own selfish means.

Reactions: 3 users
Salty says that The last 6 weeks they weren’t humming:

Geelong def GWS 103-68. Humming
Port def Geelong 86-43 . Not humming
Melbourne def Geelong 81-76. They were humming for a half.
Geelong def St Kilda 85-71 despite winning they were ordinary .
Giants 84 def Geelong 65. Not humming.
Geelong 62 def North 42. Despite winning they weren’t humming.

to be fair I’d say he was correct.
Humming is the new buzz word. But the salty one didn’t mention it once before last night.

Every player would want to drive the car until the tires wear out. The list management would have very different ideas. Will come down to who has the most influence internally. If Danger and Selwood do they will destroy the club for their own selfish means.
Ummmmm. Looking at their list profile, I reckon it might already have happened.

A number of us picked this early on. The Cats went all chips in and if it didn’t work then they were going to fall off a cliff.

Reactions: 1 user
Putting aside dislike of Geelong, with everything thrown at Victorian teams over the past two seasons, to make a Grand Final then a Preliminary is an amazing effort.

The other three last Victorian teams standing last year were us, Collingwood and St Kilda. All of them crashed and burned.

More broadly, a 15 year run of 14 finals series, 3 flags, 2 runner-ups, and 6 preliminary finals must surely be up there with the best periods of sustained excellence in the history of the game. To be in the last 4 teams 11 times in 15 years in the equalisation era is a remarkable feat.

Like them or not, they have been a bloody successful club.

They get put in good positions for finals campaigns largely because of their huge home ground advantage, which is then a liability in finals.

Reactions: 12 users
Putting aside dislike of Geelong, with everything thrown at Victorian teams over the past two seasons, to make a Grand Final then a Preliminary is an amazing effort.

The other three last Victorian teams standing last year were us, Collingwood and St Kilda. All of them crashed and burned.

More broadly, a 15 year run of 14 finals series, 3 flags, 2 runner-ups, and 6 preliminary finals must surely be up there with the best periods of sustained excellence in the history of the game. To be in the last 4 teams 11 times in 15 years in the equalisation era is a remarkable feat.

Absolutely true. All of the above. But it’s hard not to see the cliff in front of them now. Too many over 30’s in the side. And then Guthrie who is 29 gets a 4 year extension during the week. Good player Guthrie but 4 years now when the list is already picking out their nursing home? AFL is incredibly draining physically. You can still be a world class batter into your 30’s but the physical strain is not the same (big scores in India notwithstanding). Melbourne were too quick and hungry last night. I was concerned last year that the shortened season via short quarters was going to play into their hands and we still came from 21 points down late in the second to run over them by 5 goals. I applaud their ability to stay high up the ladder and get into the finals yiyo. But reckon they are in strife now and we have their first pick in the draft this year. That hardly helps.

Reactions: 2 users

Well said. The GFC deserve credit for their sustained period of success.

However, their finals record shows that despite repeatedly finishing top 4 over the last decade, they were rarely genuine contenders. Other factors which are more to do with luck than good management have also been major contributors. Their odd shaped ground is probably worth an extra two wins per season to them. Having Dangerfield join them when he was the best player in the league. Hawkins as a father son selection and a key forward at that.

Scott is an insufferable human being but he can coach (hurt to type that). The GFC is an extremely well run organization but they are in for a sustained period of rebuilding and it’s going to hurt.

Salty says that The last 6 weeks they weren’t humming:

Geelong def GWS 103-68. Humming
Port def Geelong 86-43 . Not humming
Melbourne def Geelong 81-76. They were humming for a half.
Geelong def St Kilda 85-71 despite winning they were ordinary .
Giants 84 def Geelong 65. Not humming.
Geelong 62 def North 42. Despite winning they weren’t humming.

to be fair I’d say he was correct.
Wouldn't picked them on wet track.
No form.
Good in group 2's not in Group 1's

Rather finished last.
Massive kok teaser of a football club

What's caught me a bit by surprise is the universal glee at Geelong copping it hard. It seems like the bulk of the AFL public have a similar dislike/hatred of the Cats as we do.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 6 users
What's caught me a bit buy surprise is the universal glee at Geelong copping hard. It seems like the bulk of the AFL public have a similar dislike/hatred of the Cats as we do.
Yeah I've noticed that too. Thought it was just us Richmond supporters. Although if it was us winning last night not sure there would be a similar sentiment.

What's caught me a bit buy surprise is the universal glee at Geelong copping hard. It seems like the bulk of the AFL public have a similar dislike/hatred of the Cats as we do.
Generally dislike or hatred comes from jealousy of success. Many people dislike Richmond now because of the last 5 years. But I reckon its different with Geelong. I actually didn't mind them over 2007-2011. But recently I have grown to dislike them a lot. I reckon its more to do with the way they play...playing for free kicks, whinging and moaning to the ump, throwing their arms up appealing for free kicks and constantly diving. Getting away with elbows and high tackles and cheap shots with the MRP when others don't...all this adds up. They are now generally disliked by all.

Reactions: 17 users

Don't think anyone is disputing they haven't been successful over the last 15 years, the comments are more directed at Chriss Scott's tenure.
If it was from the same coach (last 15 years of this success), everything you said would be spot on. Amazing results, but 2 of those flags were under bomber Thomson, so the criticism levelled at Scott is justified, his last 10 years, has been deplorable in finals, what is it for the first week of finals, 1W and 9 losses?
The flag in 2011 was a team he inherited full of stars.
Chris Scott's team making X amount of prelims and a GF has fallen way short of expectations and the ultimate success, the game style will not stand up in finals.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Although if it was us winning last night not sure there would be a similar sentiment.
Many people dislike Richmond now because of the last 5 years.

True, but I'll contend that ours is media assisted with the multitude of negative media about Richmond, whereas Geelong's is despite mainly good news and positive sentiment from the media.

They've earned the dislike more than we have.

Reactions: 5 users

Depends on your definition of success. Yes they’ve been a very successful H&A team (aided by a 90% win rate at KP) but an abject failure in finals footy for 10 years.

Reactions: 2 users
Don't think anyone is disputing they haven't been successful over the last 15 years, the comments are more directed at Chriss Scott's tenure.
If it was from the same coach (last 15 years of this success), everything you said would be spot on. Amazing results, but 2 of those flags were under bomber Thomson, so the criticism levelled at Scott is justified, his last 10 years, has been deplorable in finals, what is it 1W and 9 losses? The flag in 2011 was a team he inherited full of stars.
Chris Scott's team making X amount of prelims and a GF has fallen way short of expectations and the ultimate success, the game style will not stand up in finals.
Agree. It's starting to show that no Brisbane Lions' (2001 - 2004) destiny players have coached to a flag. Sorry to Fly for this.

Reactions: 1 user