The Geelong Cants | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Geelong Cants

A number of us picked this early on. The Cats went all chips in and if it didn’t work then they were going to fall off a cliff.

They're are finished
Game style from 2008.
Coach dumbshitt
Ordinary list
No kids

Reactions: 1 user
Depends on your definition of success. Yes they’ve been a very successful H&A team (aided by a 90% win rate at KP) but an abject failure in finals footy for 10 years.
If we played finals for 10 years with zero flags I would be p1ssed big time.

Reactions: 9 users
First of all the coach wouldve been gone.
One more failure by Hardwick after 2016 wouldve had him gone.
For some reason the media tip toe around Scott.
They have every reason now to unleash.
Highlight his finals record
Highlight the player's he has brought in.
Highlight the fact they play on a heavy bias ground
Highlight his shitass game plan.
The board at Geelong are all sheep.
Clueless and gutless

I think this is my take.
They can’t have it both ways, can they?
Please celebrate our sustained success but don’t criticize our lack of Premierships.
Doesn’t wash with me.

Reactions: 8 users
I think this is my take.
They can’t have it both ways, can they?
Please celebrate our sustained success but don’t criticize our lack of Premierships.
Doesn’t wash with me.
Can they celebrate the McClelland trophy?16313356371607513907608732037237.jpg

Big rumour
They have offered Mulgrave IGA pick 16 for me and im only 49.
I have at least another 5 good seasons playing alongside the old Farts from Geelong

Pricky thread still running hot on Pussies BF. Interesting to see what actions this idiot takes for next season as huge pressure has now grown over him.

Reactions: 1 users
Putting aside dislike of Geelong, with everything thrown at Victorian teams over the past two seasons, to make a Grand Final then a Preliminary is an amazing effort.

The other three last Victorian teams standing last year were us, Collingwood and St Kilda. All of them crashed and burned.

More broadly, a 15 year run of 14 finals series, 3 flags, 2 runner-ups, and 6 preliminary finals must surely be up there with the best periods of sustained excellence in the history of the game. To be in the last 4 teams 11 times in 15 years in the equalisation era is a remarkable feat.

Like them or not, they have been a bloody successful club.

Last 10 seasons:

Geel: Finals (Lost EF)
Rich: 12th

Geel: Finals (Lost PF)
Rich: Finals (Lost EF)

Geel: Finals (Lost SF - Out in straight sets)

Geel: 10th

Rich: 13th

Rich: :cupgold

Rich: Finals (Lost PF)

Geel: Finals (Lost GF)

If the measure of success in AFL is winning premierships (which it is, nothing comes close), then over the last 10 seasons, Geelong have been abject failures.

It is clear to everyone in AFL land (except Salty and the Geelong Media Mafia) that Geelong have a game plan that gets them into final, but not to win finals. If the goal was to get into finals, then I would agree that the Cats have been hugely successful.

Clearly the most successful teams in the last 10 years have been the Hawk and the mighty Tiges.

Reactions: 6 users
Putting aside dislike of Geelong, with everything thrown at Victorian teams over the past two seasons, to make a Grand Final then a Preliminary is an amazing effort.

The other three last Victorian teams standing last year were us, Collingwood and St Kilda. All of them crashed and burned.

More broadly, a 15 year run of 14 finals series, 3 flags, 2 runner-ups, and 6 preliminary finals must surely be up there with the best periods of sustained excellence in the history of the game. To be in the last 4 teams 11 times in 15 years in the equalisation era is a remarkable feat.

Like them or not, they have been a bloody successful club.
That is sugarcoating it beyond belief. Zero flags in the last 9 years is a better measure.

Reactions: 2 users
Generally dislike or hatred comes from jealousy of success. Many people dislike Richmond now because of the last 5 years. But I reckon its different with Geelong. I actually didn't mind them over 2007-2011. But recently I have grown to dislike them a lot. I reckon its more to do with the way they play...playing for free kicks, whinging and moaning to the ump, throwing their arms up appealing for free kicks and constantly diving. Getting away with elbows and high tackles and cheap shots with the MRP when others don't...all this adds up. They are now generally disliked by all.
I think it's just because so many of their players (and coach) come across, rightly or wrongly, as so unlikeable in the media. I liked Geelong back in the 2007-2011 period and never begrudged them their success (and I knew a very high profile player of theirs from that era). Geelong have become what Collingwood were in the 1970s - always competitive, relatively successful, but choking in finals, and everybody hates them.

Reactions: 6 users
Last 10 seasons:

Rich::cupgold

If the measure of success in AFL is winning premierships (which it is, nothing comes close), then over the last 10 seasons, Geelong have been abject failures.

It is clear to everyone in AFL land (except Salty and the Geelong Media Mafia) that Geelong have a game plan that gets them into final, but not to win finals. If the goal was to get into finals, then I would agree that the Cats have been hugely successful.

Clearly the most successful teams in the last 10 years have been the Hawk and the mighty Tiges.

So over the last 10 years, we have made the finals 7 times and the cats 9 times - not that big a difference really.

We have made the prelim 4 times and the cats 6 times, again cats better but tigers not to shabby.

I think Scott is creating a myth about its OK and important to be regularly in the hunt as a measure of success.

Now let’s talk about flags………….

• Love
Reactions: 4 users
That is sugarcoating it beyond belief. Zero flags in the last 9 years is a better measure.

Agree.

Having said that, they’ve achieved something remarkable, which is basically being one of the 4 best sides in it for 10 years while never actually being THE best side in it.

• Haha
Last 10 seasons:

Don't your going to make me cry

Big rumour
They have offered Mulgrave IGA pick 16 for me and im only 49.
I have at least another 5 good seasons playing alongside the old Farts from Geelong

Fair dinkum - but pretty sure we‘ll cope OK here in your absence

Last 10 seasons:

Just to add to the above, here are the finals the Cats played the Tigers since 17.

They probably felt this year without the Tigers in the finals they would have won a spot in the GF and win it.

Whatever you want to call it. The Curse. Karma. Workings of the Universe it hasn’t happened.

Enjoy.
I sure have today to ease the pain of this year, Covid, missing the finals...

Reminiscent and carbon copy of what came next in 2020.

Lastly , ironically Dusty dusts off Dangerfield and wins his third Norm Smith. Takes the pain away.

• Love