The Music Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Music Thread

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Riff Raff is a beauty. best riff ever.

I've been revisiting the Powerage & Let There be Rock albums quite a bit. Magnificent Redders.

His kid playing drums on My Hero.
Riff Raff on the live album, If You Want Blood; You've Got It, is absolutely sensational. In fact the whole album is sensational but the way it starts with Riff Raff is out of this world.

Powerage is awesome as well. Downpayment Blues; what a song.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
They did play at Bluesfest, DS., five months ago. And in 2001 (saw that too). I also saw them at Rod Laver in the mid-90s and twice on their 2017 tour, in Sydney and the Sunny Coast.

Would have been incredible to see them in a pub!

GOAT Aussie band.
I saw them in a pubs in the 80s; 1986 to be exact. It was dubbed the "Oils in your backyard" tour. Saw them at the Excelsior Hotel in Thomastown; awesome show. Also saw them at the Venue in St. Kilda around the same time. Shame it is no longer there; great place to see a band. Saw the Oils and The Angels on consecutive Friday nights at the Venue in late 1986. The Excelsior gig was either just before or just after. The good old days.

Other small venues at which I saw the Oils was the Forum in the CBD around 2001 and St. George Leagues Club in Sydney in the late 90s. Always loved seeing them anywhere but the smaller venues were the best. I'll never forget the nights at the Excelsior and the Venue.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I saw them in a pubs in the 80s; 1986 to be exact. It was dubbed the "Oils in your backyard" tour. Saw them at the Excelsior Hotel in Thomastown; awesome show. Also saw them at the Venue in St. Kilda around the same time. Shame it is no longer there; great place to see a band. Saw the Oils and The Angels on consecutive Friday nights at the Venue in late 1986. The Excelsior gig was either just before or just after. The good old days.

Other small venues at which I saw the Oils was the Forum in the CBD around 2001 and St. George Leagues Club in Sydney in the late 90s. Always loved seeing them anywhere but the smaller venues were the best. I'll never forget the nights at the Excelsior and the Venue.
Excelsior must've been in the 80s Riddles?

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Last time I saw the Oils was decades ago at Kooyong, must have been mid 80s.

DS
I reckon that Kooyong concert was my first Oils concert. 1984 or 1985. It was unreal. Species Deceases had just been released. Distinctly remember Hercules.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
The Forum's a great venue. Saw You Am I supported by Eskimo Joe and The Vines there in 2001, fair support acts.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Saw the Oils for the umpteenth time tonight at the Palais. An unbelievable 27 song setlist including 10-1 in full. For the purists they even played 3 songs off Head Injuries and even a song off their little played sell titled debut. They go around again on Wednesday for the final time ever in Victoria, I'll be saddling up again.
Which songs off Head Injuries? Cold Cold Change? Love that song.

Reactions: 1 user

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
The Forum's a great venue. Saw You Am I supported by Eskimo Joe and The Vines there in 2001, fair support acts.
Don't mind You Am I but never seen them live. Really like Berlin Chair and Jewels & Bullets.

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Saw them at Bluesfest, lucky you to see them twice. Still great live.

I've been listening to Oils albums recently and revised my rankings. 10-1 will always be number 1 but I've got Blue Sky Mining rocketing to number 2.

Red Sails was always my #2 Oils album and when BSM first came out I liked it but had it behind Diesel and Dust as well. But it kept growing on me over time and this latest listen of all the albums bumps it up for me.

Blue Sky Mine and King of the Mountain were instant classics. Forgotten Years not immediate for me but love it now - The Killers' cover was the only time I shed a tear on grand final day 2017.

Not as many absolute killer tracks as 10-1 (I like every single song on 10-1 better than Beds Are Burning) but not a dud song on it either, and plenty of great album tracks. Stars of Warburton, Bedlam Bridge, Mountains of Burma, River Runs Red, add mood to counterplay the uptempo Blue Sky Mine and King of the Mountain. Then they treble down on mood with the last three tracks - Shakers and Movers (underrated gem), the hackles-raising One Country, and the powerful Antarctica (and the bonus track You May Not Be Released on the special edition blue cassette I played to death in the car). It really is an album that works as a whole, like they used to.

I think I need another go-around to determine whether Red Sails or D&D sits at #3. Species Deceases was awesome but only four songs. Hercules still a fave.
Interesting. Must say Blue Sky Mining is down the list of albums for me. I love Forgotten Years and Bedlam Bridge but not Blue Sky Mine and King of the Mountain.

It's really hard to say how I'd rank the others. 10-1 is obvious for most people but I really rate Diesel and Dust. Not too mention Head Injuries and Place Without a Postcard. I'd probably have those 4 ahead of Red Sails.

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Interesting. Must say Blue Sky Mining is down the list of albums for me. I love Forgotten Years and Bedlam Bridge but not Blue Sky Mine and King of the Mountain.

It's really hard to say how I'd rank the others. 10-1 is obvious for most people but I really rate Diesel and Dust. Not too mention Head Injuries and Place Without a Postcard. I'd probably have those 4 ahead of Red Sails.
It's all personal preference of course, and I'd say 'from day 1' fans would have different views to someone like me. Place Without a Postcard is still their early post-punk, hard rock days. Blue Sky Mining is more melodic, and those two songs way poppier than anything they'd done before.

I reckon their peak was 10-1 through BSM, those four albums and EP hit a perfect mix of rockin rage and sing-along melody.

Earth and Sun and Moon was too soft for me.

Just listened to D&D again, great album. I'll slot it in third between BSM and Red Sails. Not a lot between them.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Yeah, my fave is probably 10-1.

But Diesel and Dust holds a special place as a bunch of us had it on high rotation on a tape in a mini van on the way to get arrested at Pine Gap in 1987.

Aah, the good old days.

DS

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Yeah, my fave is probably 10-1.

But Diesel and Dust holds a special place as a bunch of us had it on high rotation on a tape in a mini van on the way to get arrested at Pine Gap in 1987.

Aah, the good old days.

DS
Hippy.