The Music Thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Music Thread

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
RIP Hutch.......can't believe it's been 25 years but I still remember speaking to my crying cuz on the day.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 users

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
saw The Killers last night, and last Saturday Billy Joel (my guilty secret)
both great gigs

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Discovered this by Oud player Joseph Tawadros listening to RRR. Talented guy.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
both great gigs

I went on Wednesday night also, the Killers were awesome. Brandon Flowers knows how to own the stage! Thats the 3rd time I've seen them, but the 1st where they have headlined a specific gig (the other 2 times were in 2005 when they supported U2 on tour, and also that glorious day in 2017 at the G).

What I think is most amazing about the Killers, is that they mix their setlists up so much. Most bands, tend to have a fairly rigid plan around setlists, there may be some minor tweaks, but the Killers throw the rulebook out and play a different gig everytime. It shows how confident they are with their music that they can mix it up as much as they do.

Ps - I'm not sure I'd have wanted to be the cleaners with all that confetti cannon fire haha

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
both great gigs
LOL guilty secret...I know what you mean.

In the late 80s and 90s, I used to see about 3 bands a week in Melbourne, was such an awesome live music scene in Melbourne pre-pokies. Went with a couple of mates who were mainly into rockabilly and punk. Our favorite bands were The Ramones, The Cramps, The Smiths, The Saints...saw them all live except The Smiths.

The thing was, I also liked Billy Joel but I kept this from my mates. I would have been an outcast had they known...you know what it's like when you're young. To my mates it was rockabilly and punk or nothing. I appreciated many genres and still do. When asked what kind of music I like, I usually answer that I don't like death metal and I don't like opera, but anything between them is pretty cool.

Saw Billy on the weekend, was awesome. Funny watching 50/60s something men dancing in the aisle to Billy Joel. Knew all the songs...was just a big singalong.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
LOL guilty secret...I know what you mean.

In the late 80s and 90s, I used to see about 3 bands a week in Melbourne, was such an awesome live music scene in Melbourne pre-pokies. Went with a couple of mates who were mainly into rockabilly and punk. Our favorite bands were The Ramones, The Cramps, The Smiths, The Saints...saw them all live except The Smiths.

The thing was, I also liked Billy Joel but I kept this from my mates. I would have been an outcast had they known...you know what it's like when you're young. To my mates it was rockabilly and punk or nothing. I appreciated many genres and still do. When asked what kind of music I like, I usually answer that I don't like death metal and I don't like opera, but anything between them is pretty cool.

Saw Billy on the weekend, was awesome. Funny watching 50/60s something men dancing in the aisle to Billy Joel. Knew all the songs...was just a big singalong.
What's the best old song Billy played, besides Piano Man?

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
What's the best old song Billy played, besides Piano Man?
This was the playlist:

1. Matter of Trust
2. My Life
3. The Entertainer
4 Vienna
5. Start me up (pisstake of Jagger)
6. Innocent Man
7. Zanzibar
8. Just the way you are
9. Don't ask me why
10 Movin' out (Anthony's song)
11 Always a woman
12 Pressure
13 Allentown
14 New York State of Mind
15 The Downeaster "Alexa"
16 Sometimes a fantasy
17 Only the good die young
18 The River of Dreams
19. Scenes from an Italian restaurant
20 Piano Man
21 We didn't start the fire
22 Uptown Girl
23 Still rock n roll to me
24 Big Shot
25 You may be right

My faves were Vienna, Zanzibar, Movin' out and Scenes from an Italian Restaurant.

Reactions: 1 user

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
This was the playlist:

1. Matter of Trust
2. My Life
3. The Entertainer
4 Vienna
5. Start me up (pisstake of Jagger)
6. Innocent Man
7. Zanzibar
8. Just the way you are
9. Don't ask me why
10 Movin' out (Anthony's song)
11 Always a woman
12 Pressure
13 Allentown
14 New York State of Mind
15 The Downeaster "Alexa"
16 Sometimes a fantasy
17 Only the good die young
18 The River of Dreams
19. Scenes from an Italian restaurant
20 Piano Man
21 We didn't start the fire
22 Uptown Girl
23 Still rock n roll to me
24 Big Shot
25 You may be right

My faves were Vienna, Zanzibar, Movin' out and Scenes from an Italian Restaurant.
Thanks Nico. I love all his songs but my real favourite Honesty is not there?? Innocent Man is a great one too.

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
Thanks Nico. I love all his songs but my real favourite Honesty is not there?? Innocent Man is a great one too.
Didn't do Honesty. Some other tracks I would have loved to have heard were Captain Jack, Say Goodbye to Hollywood, Angry Young Man, Goodnight Saigon although no complaints with what he played.

Didn't think he would play Capt Jack considering his young kids were at the show. You can imagine "Daddy! Daddy! What does the chorus mean in Captain Jack?

• Haha

Nico

Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
It could be thought of as a lazy pick but Piano Man for me was easily the best. A crowd of 80k at the G singing the chorus acapella was my highlight of the night.
Was awesome...especially with today's version of the candle throughout the stadium

• Love

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Didn't do Honesty. Some other tracks I would have loved to have heard were Captain Jack, Say Goodbye to Hollywood, Angry Young Man, Goodnight Saigon although no complaints with what he played.

Didn't think he would play Capt Jack considering his young kids were at the show. You can imagine "Daddy! Daddy! What does the chorus mean in Captain Jack?
Goodnight Saigon....geez totally forgot that one. Gets a bit emotional I suppose. Say Goodbye is another great one.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
"It's the next phase, nooo wayyyve, dance craze, anyways.....still rock 'n roll to me":))

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Innocent man
Scenes from the italian resto.
Nessun dorma
Good die young

Above all Piano man

• Love

tigerdell

Hope springs infernal
Mar 29, 2014
Bruce because its more rock.
Think born to run.

Bruce because he plays and plays and plays for the fans.
Saw him at hanging rock.

Bruce because he band is so tight.

Billy because he played it up, mixed up, was an entertainer beyond his music. The mixing up of songs - jagger. Nessun dorma sung by his guitarist.

Both are brilliant