The news cycle | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The news cycle

In moments of quiet contemplation (I have too much time on my hands after work these days), I wonder if the state of journalism is a reflection of societal and education system changes. Everyone is special and everyone is a winner. Your opinion counts. We value your input. Hogwash. (Following part is not directed at forum members, I come here for others opinions and insights; it's the whole point). I really don't give a flying *smile* what you think. I want to know what you know, or what your have determined by evidence. Stating your opinion as fact is not journalism. It's just your opinion and I don't care for it. Do some research, provide some evidence and convince me of your conclusion.

And here's a novel idea. Learn how to write with proper sentence structure and grammar. FFS, did you finish year ten?

• Love
  • Haha
Reactions: 14 users
The hoopla on Joe Daniher after kicking 3 on Jeriatric Jim Frawley is extraordinary.

After his 12th game in 3 years, hes leading Essendon to glory.

I know several grade 6 kids who offer way more considered footy opinions than most blokes on a couple of hundred grand a year.

Reactions: 1 users
Also frustrated with the way the live game is produced. It hasn't moved on at all. The only "innovation" was that terrible "spider cam" that adds almost nothing. In the meantime you get almost no replays during the game. Where was the replay of the seriously dangerous tunnelling of Bolton? Even BT noticed it, but the control room ignored it. There is a serious problem with that side of a game that now generates serious income from television.
Agreed....
Ive also noticed that the cameras seem to focus too close to the play, thus making it hard to know what is happening 4 to 5 meters off the ball.....not only that, the camera angles change at the worst times. Its as if they are trying to save money in the control/production room by employing either a skeleton staff or a bunch of work experience people that are yet to get a feel for the way the game is played hence lack anticipation of the next play....

Reactions: 2 users
Agreed....
Ive also noticed that the cameras seem to focus too close to the play, thus making it hard to know what is happening 4 to 5 meters off the ball.....not only that, the camera angles change at the worst times. Its as if they are trying to save money in the control/production room by employing either a skeleton staff or a bunch of work experience people that are yet to get a feel for the way the game is played hence lack anticipation of the next play....
Yep, and Channel 7's insistence on putting the live play in a microscopic box at the bottom right of screen while displaying a replay in full screen is incredibly frustrating. It's not as though there aren't enough breaks in play right now, such as the 30-second clock for shots at goal and the extra time between a goal and the re-start of play.

Reactions: 5 users
And right on cue, check out what AFL Media thinks makes for "must watch" content on its appalling website today...

AFL website 1 September 2020.jpg

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
The hoopla on Joe Daniher after kicking 3 on Jeriatric Jim Frawley is extraordinary.

After his 12th game in 3 years, hes leading Essendon to glory.

I know several grade 6 kids who offer way more considered footy opinions than most blokes on a couple of hundred grand a year.

According to the AFL website Ezy, he didn't play on Frawley as he is coming back into the team this week. He played on Michael Hartley. Which is even worse.

• Haha
Yep, and Channel 7's insistence on putting the live play in a microscopic box at the bottom right of screen while displaying a replay in full screen is incredibly frustrating. It's not as though there aren't enough breaks in play right now, such as the 30-second clock for shots at goal and the extra time between a goal and the re-start of play.
Also don’t know about others, but when there was play on the far wing you couldn’t see the players properly or the play unfolding properly.
Not only our games but creeping into most games now.

Or is my eyesight failing me?

In moments of quiet contemplation (I have too much time on my hands after work these days), I wonder if the state of journalism is a reflection of societal and education system changes. Everyone is special and everyone is a winner. Your opinion counts. We value your input. Hogwash. (Following part is not directed at forum members, I come here for others opinions and insights; it's the whole point). I really don't give a flying *smile* what you think. I want to know what you know, or what your have determined by evidence. Stating your opinion as fact is not journalism. It's just your opinion and I don't care for it. Do some research, provide some evidence and convince me of your conclusion.

And here's a novel idea. Learn how to write with proper sentence structure and grammar. FFS, did you finish year ten?

This is beautiful Rob. A concise but searingly accurate statement of one of the biggest problems in media today. Opinion masquerading as news. I blame "clickbait", which seems to be biased towards opinion. More clicks = more dough and journalistic ethics and rigour be damned.

John Ralph just going with that the GF will be played at the Gabba.

To be announced tomorrow by the QLD premier & Gill.

Worthy.
Congratulations to Qld , the Premiers & it’s people.

Bris , EZY you both must be pumped.

Now for the finals...

Last edited:
Yes, pay him what he wants because he kicked 3 goals against [who, Michael Hartley?] the 15th placed team that’s all but given up for 2020. This too on a man that’s played 12 games over the last 3 seasons. Makes sense.

What’s the money old Joey has a very ordinary game against the Eagles this round?
As I thought. 7 disposals (6k, 1 hb), 0.3 behinds, 6 marks (not bad) 28% DE.

Still pay him what he wants?

John Ralph just announced that the GF will be played at the Gabba.

To be announced tomorrow by the QLD premier & Gill.

Worthy.
Congratulations to Qld , the Premiers & it’s people.

Bris , EZY you both must be pumped.

Now for the finals...
The "John Ralph" part has me worried.......

• Haha
As I thought. 7 disposals (6k, 1 hb), 0.3 behinds, 6 marks (not bad) 28% DE.

Still pay him what he wants?
Yeah but he is smiling again. Lets keep that smile going and pay him what he wants :rolleyes:

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

I’ll argue against this hypothesis.

I agree with the conclusion that news has become increasingly opinion-based, simplistic, lacking in evidence, etc., but I’ll argue it’s technology-driven rather than education-driven.

The word “clickbait“ itself implies a self-evident technology-driven argument. Consumption of news on the Internet caused the uprising of clickbait news.

We have evidence that more people are attaining higher education levels than ever before. You might be thinking an increase in education levels doesn’t necessarily lead to an increase in real world capability, and that is sometimes true.

However, I don’t think you’re suggesting an increase in education causes a widespread decline in capability. I think you’re just saying it’s a reflection of these changes. So while education changes have coincided with reporting changes, if I’m focusing on evidence, a link between the two remains unclear.

The Internet, however, does offer evidence of remodelling the way advertisers and news services find and reach their audience. So let’s investigate the cause of declining news quality:

How do Google algorithms influence your news?

How to unique invisible symbols on your device keep records of your browsing history on 3rd-party servers even when you don’t allow cookies?

How do advertisers pay for your information, to whom, and how does this change what you see in the news?

And how do they know if those advertising dollars were well-spent? What was the outcome? Did you ultimately see the ad? Did you buy their product 6 months later?

I do think we lose something in a society where everyone gets a ribbon, but if we’re investigating the declining quality in news, we’d be asking questions about the technology we use to obtain it.

That’s not my 2 cents, as we don’t need to pay 2 cents to send in our opinions for others to read anymore. That’s my free news article, and advertisers now know you’ve read it.

I’ll argue against this hypothesis.

I agree with the conclusion that news has become increasingly opinion-based, simplistic, lacking in evidence, etc., but I’ll argue it’s technology-driven rather than education-driven.

The word “clickbait“ itself implies a self-evident technology-driven argument. Consumption of news on the Internet caused the uprising of clickbait news.

We have evidence that more people are attaining higher education levels than ever before. You might be thinking an increase in education levels doesn’t necessarily lead to an increase in real world capability, and that is sometimes true.

However, I don’t think you’re suggesting an increase in education causes a widespread decline in capability. I think you’re just saying it’s a reflection of these changes. So while education changes have coincided with reporting changes, if I’m focusing on evidence, a link between the two remains unclear.

The Internet, however, does offer evidence of remodelling the way advertisers and news services find and reach their audience. So let’s investigate the cause of declining news quality:

How do Google algorithms influence your news?

How to unique invisible symbols on your device keep records of your browsing history on 3rd-party servers even when you don’t allow cookies?

How do advertisers pay for your information, to whom, and how does this change what you see in the news?

And how do they know if those advertising dollars were well-spent? What was the outcome? Did you ultimately see the ad? Did you buy their product 6 months later?

I do think we lose something in a society where everyone gets a ribbon, but if we’re investigating the declining quality in news, we’d be asking questions about the technology we use to obtain it.

That’s not my 2 cents, as we don’t need to pay 2 cents to send in our opinions for others to read anymore. That’s my free news article, and advertisers now know you’ve read it.
Hiya Numbers, my thought process was not about the amount, nor the quality of education, but rather the pre-university education systems ethos of everyone's a "winner" and all opinions are equally valid. (And to an extent the university level education system, based on my experiences completing post grad studies last year).

Everyone is not a winner and some opinions are just *smile* dumb. That is fact.

I'm quite sure there is a Doctorate level research project in there studying the declining quality of journalism and the rise of me-too-ism. I very much doubt that any University would ever allow it though.

Journos will keep their jobs as long as they generate clicks. That's why they are all going for the sensationalist headline. The ex-players also generate more clicks for their thoughts. "Brereton calls Martin a waddler" will get more views and clicks than "Ralph calls Martin a waddler".

It's no longer a news industry.

The other phenomenon I'll throw in here is the rise of the echo chamber, likely a result of our unwillingness to work hard to pick apart our own prejudices and entertain a counterargument. We'd rather dismiss out of hand any ideas that are not aligned to ours, and often we'll do it with rising aggression.

Increasing parts of our society are moving towards binary choices. So The Age is progressive, The Herald Sun is conservative; you're typically a reader of one but not the other. Political beliefs are unbending; does the swinging voter, who takes the time to educate themselves on issues and form an evolving opinion, even exist anymore?

We gravitate towards our own tribes and shun new or different ideas because we've decided we have nothing more to learn and no need to grow further as individuals.

@123kid is right about advertisers tracking online behaviours. A process called re-targeting is designed to ensure we're served with content that fits the profile that our browsing activity reveals. This further adds to our social and political myopia. Google does it well and Facebook is elite in this space.

I'm afraid to say we are victims, somewhat, of our own behaviours.

But I cannot correlate this with the substandard quality of AFL journalism that we are being dished up. As @Tiger Rob says, opinion disguised as fact is a cancer on our society. It's lazy and indulgent. I'd be stunned if footy supporters think the views of Damien Barrett, Kane Cornes, Tom Morris and John Ralph hold any currency.

They are the T20 equivalent of AFL reportage: all wax and no wick.

I'm increasingly heartened by the response to the likes of Russell Jackson's article on Robert Muir and The Mongrel Punt's thoughtful game analysis.

It actually says very clearly to me that well researched and articulated writing is highly valued by footy fans.

Reactions: 4 users
Maybe a lot of the tripe this year could be put down to a bit of cabin fever. Every one is a bit worked up being locked away. Also, the poor analysis and lack of good reporting on games could be due to a lot of the journos only having tv access. I know that as someone who is unable to attend a lot of games, my perspective shifted dramatically at And after the Dreamtime game. A case in point was Pickett who copped a lot on here that week but who I saw as engaged and very important to our structure.