The PRE 2009 Draft Comp - Rules and confirmation of involvement thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The PRE 2009 Draft Comp - Rules and confirmation of involvement thread

Hi,

Just stumbled over this.

Yes, I'm in.

Might want to PM others, or transfer it to a more noticeable area of PRE.

Had a good read now.

Looks interesting.

Clearly people will have their different views on structure.

As their are only 25 picks, and not 44-46, the team picked, I guess, will need to already be in the window of opportunity.

Good challenge.

In

edit: we should probably clarify when the team will theoretically be playing it's games, i.e. does Croad, Ellis or Prismal get drafted because they are injured at the moment?

Col.W.Kurtz said:
In

edit: we should probably clarify when the team will theoretically be playing it's games, i.e. does Croad, Ellis or Prismal get drafted because they are injured at the moment?

disregard injury ( current ones any way).

Teams will be looked at against each other in overall ability.

Each person will look at a list very differently than others, but thats the fun of it.

I reckon just think each player on each team list is at 100% fitness.

No Col - You have first pick.

If by 8 o'clock tonight we are still waiting for replies - take you rpick - we can start now.

if we end up waiting for anyone we can all let them know on other boards its there turn.

cheers

Cheers Jink and skip - first 2 reserves.

Now - Draft thread is in this games board make sure you check that thread from now to see when your pick is on and also who is left and who has been picked.

may as well start now.

Good luck to all.

Go Col.W.Kurtz your pick.

Col.W.Kurtz said:
Sorry for the delay,

J Brown, Lions.

mate theres a thread under this one in the fantasy games board - the official draft thread.

take a look it has draft order there and all players on all lists.

could you please post your pick on that board.

its the thread under this one.

U2, I was thinking that it might be interesting if when the teams are done people explain what their strategies were for picking the team, or why they think their team will win.

Yeah, that would be an interesting discussion.

I'm actually quite amazed at how nearly everyone is on a similar page to me. I keep coming up with lists of three or four who I would use my next pick on and they just go in the next few picks. Its uncanny.

Every now and again someone will make my eyebrow raise though.

I just want to let people know -

Before the comp started I said team A will play team B - etc etc.

I have talked to a few posters and they think that a random draw may be more suitable.

So what we will do on completion is get somepne like ToO ( whos been active without picking)

to give us a draw. then its a knockout comp.

each game will have 2 days in which posters can vote on which team they think is better. This will be open to anyone on the forum not just the coaches who took part. some games may get more votes but in the end its which team gets the most wins regardless of amounts of votes.

has anyone got any ideas how this could be improved at all.

U2Tigers said:
disregard injury ( current ones any way).

Teams will be looked at against each other in overall ability.

Each person will look at a list very differently than others, but thats the fun of it.

I reckon just think each player on each team list is at 100% fitness.

U2Tigers said:
So what we will do on completion is get somepne like ToO ( whos been active without picking)

to give us a draw. then its a knockout comp.

Happy to help out Youtube. :)

Just a little clarification on the rules..is this game based on what teams will win playing against each other purely in 2009 or beyond? Seems some are playing the game differently to others.

Tigers of Old said:
Happy to help out Youtube. :)

Just a little clarification on the rules..is this game based on what teams will win playing against each other purely in 2009 or beyond? Seems some are playing the game differently to others.

Teams are a they would play tommorrow. Injuries don't count - A player is judged on how he could play right now, taking his age, if hes slowed down due to age,, if he hasn't developed yet as a kid.

stuff like that. Just all fit to play.

My thoughts on a comp using these teams we've picked:

The voting should be done by the Forum - not we coaches.

In order to get as many votes as possible (100+) for each game, we need someone to act as a "commentator" to build some interest on the main board, otherwise we just won't get the traffic. A "Rex Hunt" kinda person - gets em talking

Need someone willing to be a bit controversial to to motivate people to our board to lodge their vote. Stir people up a bit.

Coaches can place certain agreed information as part of the team lists (phanto's example of "age" "height" "games" "goals" is a good one to help posters get a handle on the line ups.

Coaches can publish a short "player's address" with the team list.

Whilst we may well have enjoyed the selection process, voters from the forum won;t have the same "investment" so we need to motivate them in any way we can - the more votes, the fairer the outcome. I actually think a game isn't complete until say 100 votes is reached....?

Well done to everyone - the teams do look really well balanced. All of them have interest in a range of ways.

pharace said:
My thoughts on a comp using these teams we've picked:

The voting should be done by the Forum - not we coaches.

In order to get as many votes as possible (100+) for each game, we need someone to act as a "commentator" to build some interest on the main board, otherwise we just won't get the traffic. A "Rex Hunt" kinda person - gets em talking

Need someone willing to be a bit controversial to to motivate people to our board to lodge their vote. Stir people up a bit.

Coaches can place certain agreed information as part of the team lists (phanto's example of "age" "height" "games" "goals" is a good one to help posters get a handle on the line ups.

Coaches can publish a short "player's address" with the team list.

Whilst we may well have enjoyed the selection process, voters from the forum won;t have the same "investment" so we need to motivate them in any way we can - the more votes, the fairer the outcome. I actually think a game isn't complete until say 100 votes is reached....?

Well done to everyone - the teams do look really well balanced. All of them have interest in a range of ways.

No one seems to really understand this commentator role so needs to be defined more, I don't see how it will attract any more people and can lead to be misleading byist due to a individuals opinion/influence.

I would have no idea what number of votes would be realistic, but I remember this comp when voted on by judges and was hard enough getting their contributions let alone 100 posters. 100 is a lot, not sure how you would get that and if it is capped at a min i could see some games being "uncompleted" possibly.

Not sure on any of these views i share, I am not stating a solid view, just first thoughts/doubts/queries for discussion.

Dyer Disciple said:
No one seems to really understand this commentator role so needs to be defined more, I don't see how it will attract any more people and can lead to be misleading byist due to a individuals opinion/influence.

I would have no idea what number of votes would be realistic, but I remember this comp when voted on by judges and was hard enough getting their contributions let alone 100 posters. 100 is a lot, not sure how you would get that and if it is capped at a min i could see some games being "uncompleted" possibly.

Not sure on any of these views i share, I am not stating a solid view, just first thoughts/doubts/queries for discussion.

Guess I don't care about any perceived bias - there will bias among the coaches anyway - nothing new really. Call him a commentator, spruiker, promotor, don;t really care, it's just that commentator has a footy feel to it.

Basically we can have a comp where basically only the coaches will vote - nice - but a bit boring from a results perspective - or we can try and involve the whole forum as much as possible. This has two possible outcomes...1) hopefully gets a greater and diverse spread of votes.........and 2) might make doing this next year a little easier with more poeple wanting to have a crack cos they've seen and heard about it this year.

I'm all for swaying the opinions of others in this instance. It's a game. Maybe we could make the commentator's role (or call the bastard whatever you want - just don't let Phanto pick his name :hihi ) to try and even up any game as it is progressing with some creative but truthful posting - again don't really care if it sways opinions - would almost be nice to see if that can happen and anyway, and it would give Capt a chance then >:D :hihi.

Anyway, will respond more later - I'm being pressed for a family outing.............. :spin