The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Yeah, he lost an arm walking into a propeller of a light aircraft.

It is hard to believe it could happen, but I once got very close to a choppers tail rotor.

Noisy environment, not focussed on what I was doing. Didn’t even realise until the last second.

Bloody close call. Really shook me up.

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
From the time we met when Axel Foley walked into your office to Iago the parrot - that voice of yours will live on in my head.

RIP Gil.

View attachment 15051
His outrageous insult of Donald Trump had the audience gasping:

Gilbert Gottfried: "As a developer, Donald Trump has done so much damage to the New York skyline that instead of calling him The Donald, they should call him the 20th hijacker."​

• Haha
  • Wow
Reactions: 1 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Dennis Waterman RIP.

Hurts more than many as I absolutely loved The Sweeney and Minder growing up.

• Sad
Reactions: 16 users

spook

Kick the f*ckin' goal
Jun 18, 2007
Melbourne
Never watched The Sweeney but my brother and I used to lie in bed listening to the Minder theme song before we were eventually allowed to stay up late enough to watch. One of the great shows and all-time theme song. Vale Tel.

• Love
Reactions: 8 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Dennis Waterman RIP.

RIP Dennis.

Both great shows but I somehow never got on the bandwagon with either years ago. I would love to watch the Sweeney as I enjoyed watching Thaw in the Inspector Morse series recently but no channel is showing it. Same with the Minder as I somehow keep thinking George Cole is still with us.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
Denis Waterman was also a very accomplished musical theatre performer. I saw him a long time ago in a show called Windy City in London
RIP

Reactions: 2 users

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
RIP Dennis.

Both great shows but I somehow never got on the bandwagon with either years ago. I would love to watch the Sweeney as I enjoyed watching Thaw in the Inspector Morse series recently but no channel is showing it. Same with the Minder as I somehow keep thinking George Cole is still with us.
I haven't watched the Sweeney for some time but my memory is that it was probably the best cop show of all time; sometimes the baddies got away, and the police methods were realistically somewhat unethical.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I haven't watched the Sweeney for some time but my memory is that it was probably the best cop show of all time; sometimes the baddies got away, and the police methods were realistically somewhat unethical.
Yep, main reason I've enjoyed Inspector Morse (80s-90s) and now Frost (90s-00s)

Looking at the ratings on IMDB, it's definitely a huge rating. Don't know why I never got hooked on it. Maybe I was too much a Prisoner fan back then and only watched Aussie stuff.

As all FTA channels have sub-channels nowadays, it amazes me why some old shows around the 80s can't be replayed. OK, we've heard that Ch 7 taped over/burnt/lost Cop Shop but did they do this to all other shows as I'm sure The Sweeney and Minder was shown by them.

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
Dennis Waterman RIP.

Jeez. My dad introduced us to Minder, he just loved it. As did we. I'll have to watch a couple of episodes in honour of Tel.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Denis Waterman was also a very accomplished musical theatre performer. I saw him a long time ago in a show called Windy City in London
RIP

if I'm not wrong, Waterman sang the Minder theme song.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
if I'm not wrong, Waterman sang the Minder theme song.
He did. Had a hit with it, too. I think he also did the theme song for New Tricks. Loved Minder. Lost a fair bit when he left. They limped along for a couple of seasons, but wasn’t the same without Tel.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 user

Billy24

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2014
I loved Minder too. Some of the worried looks on Arfur’s face as Tel had to bail him out of another sticky situation, often in the luxurious office at Arthur Daley Motors. Gold tv.

Reactions: 1 user