The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Some great stories fellas, thanks for taking the time to share them.

As has already been said, Deano was harshly treated by the Australian selectors.
I loved the way he played the game, always wanting to dominate the bowlers.
Deano was dashing and daring bat in hand, and desperate in the field. No one chased the ball harder than Deano, I quite often think of Deano when I see the modern day fielders slide into the boundary rope.
RIP Deano, you changed the game, you made it better.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
Not a big fan of S Waugh but I'll give him his dues for one of the best sledge's in the history of the game (as opposed to his best made up sledge that never happened with H Gibbs) to Siddons.

Came out to bat in a NSW v Vic game and did his usual long routine with taking guard and hammy stretches and Siddons chirped him to hurry up cause it's not a test match.

Waugh looked him dead in the eye and said of course it's not, you're out here. The Vic boys reckon Siddons never got it out of his head.
Ha ha that’s a great sledge :mhihi

Almost as good as the one that Kiwi player (can’t remember his name) gave Mark Waugh after Waugh had told him he was a *smile* batsman or words to that effect.

“Yeah but at least I’m the best batsman in my family!”:rotfl2

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
God, he could play. Brilliant, brave, dashing, batted the way you wished you could bat, and danced to his own drum. To me, there's a line of players in that ilk: Kim Hughes, Dean Jones, Michael Slater, Glenn Maxwell. They've all been my favourite batsman at one point.
I used to bat like Deano. Only problem it was about 50 levels lower and I used to get out all the time!

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users

Ridley

Tiger Legend
Jul 21, 2003
I tried his wide stance for a year or two. Didn't work.
I just tried to hit fours and sixes all the time. My batting philosophy was “here for a good time not a long time!”

About the only thing I could do Like Deano was run fast between the wickets.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Interestingly my old man had some heart issues earlier in the year. While in the waiting room to see the cardioligist, he got his photo taken with Deano who was also in the waiting to see a cardiologist.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Rip Dean Jones.
Relevant to me as i worked in Madras (Chennai) for a bit of my life and visited the Chidambaram ground a few times.

Also this week, and a vague connection to Deano, is the death of SP Balasubrahmanyam, a gentleman who recorded more than 40,000 songs for the Indian film industry and is a legend there.

Reactions: 1 user

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The older generation here might remember former Richmond GM Richard “*smile*” Doggett from the late 70s early 80s, passed away.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
The older generation here might remember former Richmond GM Richard “*smile*” Doggett from the late 70s early 80s, passed away.

Got a letter from him somewhere, hand signed, in response to Mum writing an angry letter to the club about GF tickets selling out early when she was fourth in the queue.

royce67

Tiger Rookie
Jun 4, 2008
Hobart
Ha ha that’s a great sledge :mhihi

Almost as good as the one that Kiwi player (can’t remember his name) gave Mark Waugh after Waugh had told him he was a *smile* batsman or words to that effect.

“Yeah but at least I’m the best batsman in my family!”:rotfl2

Not a Kiwi. A pom, Jimmy Ormond in 2001.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015

Vale Richard Doggett... some great memories (& some not so good) in the attached interview with Rhett Bartlett.

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019

I just found out to late that this tiger bloke lived in my neighbourhood

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
RIP EVH. creative monster. influenced a bunch of em. always with a smile.