The RIP thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The RIP thread

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
Bones Hillman. Midnight Oil bassist.

Big shock, didn't even know he was ill (he had a cancer)

• Sad
Reactions: 3 users

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Bones Hillman. Midnight Oil bassist.

Big shock, didn't even know he was ill (he had a cancer)

I don't like this thread much. every time I read about someone else dying it makes me feel older and older.

But Bones Hillman, sheesh. Only ten years older than me and the Oils were a huge part of my teenage music appreciation years.

Sorry, I should have included this in my original post. If you haven't seen Midnight Oil: 1984, then as Molly would say, do yourself a favour.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I don't like this thread much. every time I read about someone else dying it makes me feel older and older.

But Bones Hillman, sheesh. Only ten years older than me and the Oils were a huge part of my teenage music appreciation years.

Sorry, I should have included this in my original post. If you haven't seen Midnight Oil: 1984, then as Molly would say, do yourself a favour.

They were so good live around then, I saw them probably 1988 in Blacktown RSL in Sydney...

From that era this was a great concert - remember watching it live on ABC.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne

Yeah, I remember seeing them at Kooyong around 1983 I think. Great concert.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
RIP Maradona. One of the best players I've ever seen play the game.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Watched some of a plethora of clips on YouTube of Maradona and had sort of forgotten what a genius he was.
Fortunately Twitter wasn't a thing back then..... Mark Robinson would've slaughtered him!

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
He was the greatest in the world, in a time when centre backs could hack your legs out from under you and not get a card. I used to think he was the greatest of all time, not sure now, but his acheivements were immense.

Interesting character as well.

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
Vale Maradona - at his best nobody got close - we've lost a true great

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne
MARADONA

One of the greatest ever.

A huge loss to World Footy, and the mourning I'd be expecting across Argentina and the world to be huge.

Sadly from his last decade of life I'm not surprised I hadnt read of his passing sooner.

Played Hard and by all reports Lived hard.

RIP Hand Of God.

craig

Tiger Legend
Aug 19, 2004
Melbourne

They were so good live around then, I saw them probably 1988 in Blacktown RSL in Sydney...

From that era this was a great concert - remember watching it live on ABC.

Hillman was a top bloke by all reports and a damn huge loss to the Oils and his legacy is a good one.

But for mine ...Peter Gifford was the best Bass Player for the Oils he really provided that hammer, energy and drive with HIrst beating the drums like they owed him money across the Oils most iconic albums from memory Place without a Postcard , through to Diesel and Dust if my memory serves me correctly.

Bones took the reins from Giffo for the Blue Sky Mine album.

Gifford is seen driving the Oils here in Ants post of on the bass in Oils on the Water the energy from this show was palpable through the TV. Wouldve been amazing to be there.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
MARADONA

One of the greatest ever.

A huge loss to World Footy, and the mourning I'd be expecting across Argentina and the world to be huge.

Sadly from his last decade of life I'm not surprised I hadnt read of his passing sooner.

Played Hard and by all reports Lived hard.

RIP Hand Of God.

The Diego doco is good. At Napoli once he got involved with the Mafia and things started going south, he'd play on the Saturday, "party" for three days and nights, then sweat it out on the training track midweek, do it all again the next weekend. And he really left nothing behind on the track.

• Wow

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
The Diego doco is good. At Napoli once he got involved with the Mafia and things started going south, he'd play on the Saturday, "party" for three days and nights, then sweat it out on the training track midweek, do it all again the next weekend. And he really left nothing behind on the track.

Hey @antman can you please point me at the right streaming service if you know it?