The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged]

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Re: The Spelling Thread

The Firefox search engine has a built in spell checker.

In saying that I couldn't give a stuff if someone is grammatically incorrect or has lousy spelling.
If anything I find it rude when people correct others on a web forum such as this.

Tiges67

Tiger Legend
Dec 24, 2003

The one that gets on my goat is :

loose as in your shorts are too loose

and

lose as in I hope Richmond doesn't lose next week.

The word loose is often used when it should be lose.

:help

U2Tigers

Tiger Legend
Nov 10, 2005
Adelaide

Tigers of Old said:
The Firefox search engine has a built in spell checker.

In saying that I couldn't give a stuff if someone is grammatically incorrect or has lousy spelling.
If anything I find it rude when people correct others on a web forum such as this.

agreed,

however when it gets Nitro like it is hard to keep reading until the end.

no offense nitro, its just hard to make out IMO.

ronnit

Tiger Superstar
Sep 25, 2007

um...correct me if i am wrong but at what stage did i say anything about the lack of apostrophes????

the word i said was YOUR and YOU'RE..there is a letter missing and they are two different words...two different meanings...

your and you are...

what about all the restaurants that sell ceaser salads... :)

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

I don't know why some people even bother... :-\

daft_beer.jpg

Freezer

Tiger Legend
Feb 22, 2007

I didn't mean this thread to be an attack on individual posters, but rather an opportunity to clarify the spelling of words that seem to be continually spelt incorrectly.

Think of it as educational, rather than abusive. :angel:

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Freezer said:
I didn't mean this thread to be an attack on individual posters, but rather an opportunity to clarify the spelling of words that seem to be continually spelt incorrectly.
Think of it as educational, rather than abusive. :angel:

Only the guilty offenders are sooking Freezer.... ;)

I think its good for people to have a bit of a moan about words that continually get spelt wrong or poor grammar that they experience here or just out and about.

I also think it's not only educational....but can be fun too...like these unionists... :hihi

http://crusader-rabbit.blogspot.com/2007/10/oi-teecher-leave-them-kids-alone.html

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

TigerForce said:
Scumton are the main culprits with bad spelling on banners. 

I suspect that is often deliberate in hopes of it being highlighted in the media.  Shows like HHIS and Before the Game have segments highlighting mistakes, thus giving a bit of free advertising.

Tigers of Old said:

Spot on ToO.  I think we get the gist of what each other are saying typos and all.  I really don't understand people needing to single out others in a derogatory way because their grammar isn't up to scratch and it says plenty about them when they continue to do so despite requests to keep it off the boards. 

Ms Tantie said:
Perhaps a dangerous thread to start with me in the vicinity, however my top peeve would easily be "alot".

There is no such word as "alot"!!!

I think that's often a typo rather than anyone thinking it's an actual word.  The spell checker often finds alot in my e-mails and I reckon it's a result of typing lot too quickly after the a, thus missing the space or putting it after the words instead of in-between.  Another one I stuff up regularly is the order of the n and g words ending in ing.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

One word that gets misused a lot, if not misspelled, is hence. Hence, in essence, means why, but you see some people say things like 'hence why Richmond will make the finals next year'.

I wouldn't have brought it up except I think it's a little hypocritical for someone to criticize others when they also have some pretty obvious flaws. :)

U2Tigers

Tiger Legend
Nov 10, 2005
Adelaide

ronnit said:
um...correct me if i am wrong but at what stage did i say anything about the lack of apostrophes????

the word i said was YOUR and YOU'RE..there is a letter missing and they are two different words...two different meanings...

your and you are...

what about all the restaurants that sell ceaser salads... :)

Sorry Ronnit no offense meant. Looking back the post wasn't written in a reasonable way.

I will pull my head in now. :angel:

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Disco08 said:
One word that gets misused a lot, if not misspelled, is hence. Hence, in essence, means why, but you see some people say things like 'hence why Richmond will make the finals next year'.

I wouldn't have brought it up except I think it's a little hypocritical for someone to criticize others when they also have some pretty obvious flaws. :)

It's spelt correctly, but as an Aussie shouldn't it be CRITICISE ?

You were probably caught in the American slang by too much Red Sox influence Disco. ;D

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007

In the mid-80s Victorian schools received a memo from the Education Dept proclaiming that both English and American spelling was ok. Thus, the use of the 's' or the 'z' in words like 'criticise' and it was also acceptable to use just an 'o' instead of 'ou' in words such as 'colour' or 'neighbour.'

Additionally, both 'program' or 'programme' were deemed correct as were 'dialog' and 'dialogue.'

That memo was over twenty years ago, so we should be getting used to it by now.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Six Pack said:
In the mid-80s Victorian schools received a memo from the Education Dept proclaiming that both English and American spelling was ok. Thus, the use of the 's' or the 'z' in words like 'criticise' and it was also acceptable to use just an 'o' instead of 'ou' in words such as 'colour' or 'neighbour.'

Additionally, both 'program' or 'programme' were deemed correct as were 'dialog' and 'dialogue.'

That memo was over twenty years ago, so we should be getting used to it by now.

And also: center/centre

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

I hate the pronunciation of the word kilometre as kill-om-a-ter. It is a measure of metres, as kilogram is a measure of gram.

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007

yep, and 'metre' and 'meter.'

The point is that since the mid-80s students have been able to use both American and English forms of the language. Additionally, since the advent of pcs and programs like MS-Word, they have been using spell checkers etc that have varying forms of the language.

So the language continues to grow and change. it's a dynamic thing.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

jb03 said:
I hate the pronunciation of the word kilometre as kill-om-a-ter. It is a measure of metres, as kilogram is a measure of gram.
What's your pronunciation of this word jb?

CASTLE as cars-all or cass-all