The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged]

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Re: The Spelling Thread

Six Pack said:
yep, and 'metre' and 'meter.'

The point is that since the mid-80s students have been able to use both American and English forms of the language. Additionally, since the advent of pcs and programs like MS-Word, they have been using spell checkers etc that have varying forms of the language.

So the language continues to grow and change. it's a dynamic thing.

Since the advent of the PC, spelling has become worse.

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007

TigerForce said:
Since the advent of the PC, spelling has become worse.

You could argue that accurate spelling isn't as important anymore.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Six Pack said:
You could argue that accurate spelling isn't as important anymore.

U R R1GHT B3CAUSE DA MO8ILE PHON3 HAS MAD3 PPL STOOPID...............

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

TigerForce said:
U R R1GHT B3CAUSE DA MO8ILE PHON3 HAS MAD3 PPL STOOPID...............

Language is evolving.
As long as people understand it I really don't see why it's a big deal.
After all isn't it just a form of communication at the end of the day?

Some people get too precious about it.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Tigers of Old said:
Language is evolving.

For adults it might be OK, but it's the childrens grammar that's causing the problem in this case.

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Tigers of Old said:
Language is evolving.

TigersOfOld,
I think it is a big deal in a place of employment, for example.
To me, bad spelling and grammar in a letter or email shows a level of ignorance and that the person is uneducated to a degree.
Again, not saying my spelling ot grammar is perfect...probably far from it...but when simple words like "autumn" is written down by an employee as "awtum", then how can someone like that write a professional letter to another business or supplier?
So I think even though it is just a form of communication....it is quite important in many respects.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Liverpool said:
"awtum", then how can someone like that write a professional letter to another business or supplier?

Using spellcheck?

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
Using spellcheck?

People shouldn't have to use 'spellcheck' for simple words like this.

In fact, people are too reliant on spellcheck these days to correct all their mistakes.

While on the topic of spelling/grammar...another one that annoys me is when people get "their" and "there" mixed up consistently.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

If they are brilliant at the rest of their job but lousy at spelling what's the problem with using spellcheck?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

TigerForce said:
What's your pronunciation of this word jb?

CASTLE as cars-all or cass-all

I'll accept either forceskin. ;D

Interestingly Nathan Astle pronounces the 'T'. Nathan ars-all would be a great name.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

jb03 said:
I'll accept either forceskin. ;D

Interestingly Nathan Astle pronounces the 'T'. Nathan ars-all would be a great name.

Poor fella :hihi

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Liverpool said:
TigersOfOld,
I think it is a big deal in a place of employment, for example.
To me, bad spelling and grammar in a letter or email shows a level of ignorance and that the person is uneducated to a degree.

There are two trains of thoughts re employment Livers.

I would say it's important to be grammatically correct in a letter or email in official circumstances but in the day to day communication I don't really see it as all that important.

IMO experience some people who email or text in shorthand could be seen as busy not uneducated.

My wife for example works in a job where it's not uncommon for her to recieve well over 100 emails a day(I kid you not) and numerous text messages. It would take her hours if she was to comb over each one of her responses.
She simply doesn't have the time.

Language(spelling, grammar etc) is evolving because lifestyles are changing.
The way we communicate has developed at a rapid pace.
Barely anyone writes letters anymore as we type away on our gadgets.

What is actually communicated in the busy world we live in, is far more important that whether someone has gone over their spelling or grammar with a fine tooth comb.

In saying that I still see the need for good spelling and grammar when it's required just to show that you can.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Tigers of Old said:
There are two trains of thoughts re employment Livers.

I would say it's important to be grammatically correct in a letter or email in official circumstances but in the day to day communication I don't really see it as all that important.

IMO experience some people who email or text in shorthand could be seen as busy not uneducated.

My wife for example works in a job where it's not uncommon for her to recieve well over 100 emails a day(I kid you not) and numerous text messages. It would take her hours if she was to comb over each one of her responses.
She simply doesn't have the time.

Language(spelling, grammar etc) is evolving because lifestyles are changing.
The way we communicate has developed at a rapid pace.
Barely anyone writes letters anymore as we type away on our gadgets.

What is actually communicated in the busy world we live in, is far more important that whether someone has gone over their spelling or grammar with a fine tooth comb.

In saying that I still see the need for good spelling and grammar when it's required just to show that you can.

Forget the adults, aren't you bothered by a child's way to spell when they use text messages or email ?

This has been in the current news for a long time.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

TigerForce said:
Forget the adults, aren't you bothered by a child's way to spell when they use text messages or email ?

This has been in the current news for a long time.

No not really.

Perhaps you need to start taking lessons from them TF, given they'll be the next generation. ;)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003

Tigers of Old said:
My wife for example works in a job where it's not uncommon for her to recieve well over 100 emails a day

Just like a day in the life of a PRE administrator. :blah

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
If they are brilliant at the rest of their job but lousy at spelling what's the problem with using spellcheck?

What happens if their job is the editor at a newspaper? ;)

Tigers of Old said:

That's the point I was making.
Agree with your post....I also get many emails a day and the majority of them are to other work colleagues, so they are rather casual...and therefore spelling/grammar goes out the window somewhat.
But if you are typing a letter to a supplier or typing a letter for a job application, for example....then I think it is very important that your spelling and grammar is excellent.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Liverpool said:
But if you are typing a letter to a supplier or typing a letter for a job application, for example....then I think it is very important that your spelling and grammar is excellent.

Hard not to agree with that Livers.
It does depend on the situation.
However I certainly don't see good spelling or grammar as all that important in this medium.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Tigers of Old said:
No not really.

Perhaps you need to start taking lessons from them TF, given they'll be the next generation. ;)

Yeah the next generation of duds.

How many of those have us oldies seen wearing yellow and black in the last 20 years.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Liverpool said:
What happens if their job is the editor at a newspaper? ;)

Well done, you eliminated about 1/100000th of the workforce.