The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged]

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Re: The Spelling Thread

Disco08 said:
Well done, you eliminated about 1/100000th of the workforce.

Read my post to TigersOfOld.
It's relevant in answering your post as well.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Tigers of Old said:
Anyway you all better start brushing up on your Chinese. English is soooo yesterday. ;D

Well come on Principal Oldie start the class. ;D

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Liverpool said:
Read my post to TigersOfOld.
It's relevant in answering your post as well.

I read it. What's stopping people from using spellcheck in any of those situations? If I employ a conscientious, honest and talented person I could care less if they rely on spellcheck to type out an order or correspond with a client.

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

TigerForce said:
Well come on Principal Oldie start the class. ;D

I don't have a clue TF ;D but my son's learning Mandarin. 8)

It's hard enough learning to speak Thai at the moment so I think I'll leave Chinese for another lifetime. ;)

Learning another language when you are older is tough. I sure wish I did it when I was younger. :p

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
I read it. What's stopping people from using spellcheck in any of those situations? If I employ a conscientious, honest and talented person I could care less if they rely on spellcheck to type out an order or correspond with a client.

It depends on the job Disco.
I wouldn't think that would be to hard to figure out.

Someone who constantly types reports........journalists, teachers, secretary, lawyers, etc....I think they are in a profession where they need to be able to spell and use grammar to a reasonable level, not just rely on the spellchecker.

If the job is an auto-mechanic, bricklayer, gardener, etc...where typing reports is only a very small part of their profession, then their level of competency wouldn't need to be as high.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

If someone knows how to use a computer even half decently they could hide the fact they couldn't spell that well very easily. Would you like to see employers introduce spelling tests for prospective employees?

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
If someone knows how to use a computer even half decently they could hide the fact they couldn't spell that well very easily. Would you like to see employers introduce spelling tests for prospective employees?

It is up to the employer as to what level of competency they are looking for and the type of role the employee will be as to whether spelling/grammar are an integral part of the applicant being hired or not.

I'm sure some employers in certain industries ask for some resumes or application letters to be handwritten to take out the spellchecking option if spelling/grammar are important in the role.

Like I said, it all depends on the employer, the job, and the level of competency required.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Why would employers care? Are you going to knock back someone that is ideal in every other aspect and can use the spellchecker to produce the same work someone who can spell perfectly does?

Would you prefer a person that can do 80 words a minute relying heavily on the spellchecker or someone that spells every word perfectly and attains 75 words a minute?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

C'mon you too. Take your bickering elsewhere, we want more examples of poor spelling, grammar and pronunciation.

ronnit

Tiger Superstar
Sep 25, 2007

there are plenty of jobs where you are tested on your understanding and use of the english language....

but as someone said somewhere in this thread....there is a time and a place for spelling and grammar to be important and it doesnt really matter here i guess... i usually sit here for a few minutes a day and dont have the time or the inclination for spell check and grammar check...

it is an entirely different matter if i am hand writing...no matter what it is for..i always spell correctly and use the right punctuation...for an important document i proof read it over and over to make sure there are no mistakes...

and i cant rememebr who it was back there that apologised ot me ...no probs...no drama...:):):)

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
Why would employers care? Are you going to knock back someone that is ideal in every other aspect and can use the spellchecker to produce the same work someone who can spell perfectly does?
Would you prefer a person that can do 80 words a minute relying heavily on the spellchecker or someone that spells every word perfectly and attains 75 words a minute?

FFS Disco...if their MAIN role is producing reports, for example....then I would take someone who is a little slower but very accurate over someone who is slap-dash and inaccurate and making my business look unprofessional any and every day of the week.
That is just MY opinion.
Again...it depends on the role, the employer, and their expectations on the person they are hiring.
We're not splitting the atom here mate...you don't have to argue with me about every petty little post even though you love to... ;)

jb03 said:
C'mon you too. Take your bickering elsewhere, we want more examples of poor spelling, grammar and pronunciation.

Here is one for you JB.... :hihi

misspelledAP0609_468x311.jpg

ronnit said:
there are plenty of jobs where you are tested on your understanding and use of the english language....
but as someone said somewhere in this thread....there is a time and a place for spelling and grammar to be important and it doesnt really matter here i guess... i usually sit here for a few minutes a day and dont have the time or the inclination for spell check and grammar check...
it is an entirely different matter if i am hand writing...no matter what it is for..i always spell correctly and use the right punctuation...for an important document i proof read it over and over to make sure there are no mistakes...
and i cant rememebr who it was back there that apologised ot me ...no probs...no drama...:):):)

Totally agree with you Ronnit... :clap

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Liverpool said:
FFS Disco...if their MAIN role is producing reports, for example....then I would take someone who is a little slower but very accurate over someone who is slap-dash and inaccurate and making my business look unprofessional any and every day of the week.
That is just MY opinion.

See this is just ridiculous. One person pumps out 80 words an hour and the other 75 but you want the one with better spelling? It doesn't matter how poor someone's spelling is because as long as they can use the spellchecker the end result is the same. All you're doing is costing your company money.

And Liverpool, when you say something that makes sense I won't argue with you.

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
See this is just ridiculous. One person pumps out 80 words an hour and the other 75 but you want the one with better spelling? It doesn't matter how poor someone's spelling is because as long as they can use the spellchecker the end result is the same. All you're doing is costing your company money.

Like I said.....maybe your competency expectations are a lot lower than mine. ;D

Plus it's a lot easier to have someone who spells very good and get them to work faster as they gain experience in the role rather than someone who is fast and can't spell or use grammar to save themselves.
I know which one will cost my company in the long run and which one will be efficient in the long run. ;)

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Don't change the rules. Grammar and improvement weren't considerations.

Liverpool said:
Like I said.....maybe your competency expectations are a lot lower than mine. ;D

How so?

ronnit

Tiger Superstar
Sep 25, 2007

have you two ever agreed on anything?? oh yeh...you both barrack for the tigers...see ..you do have something in common....why dont you work on that ...:):)

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
Don't change the rules. Grammar and improvement weren't considerations.
How so?

What rules?
You were the one who brought 'costing my company money' into it.....and when I hire someone I look at their potential, not just what they can do NOW. I'll take a small loss on the chin now if I know someone can be developed into something in the near future where I will make my money back and some.
Again....you as an employer may have lower expectations of your new staff than mine, that's all.

ronnit said:
have you two ever agreed on anything?? oh yeh...you both barrack for the tigers...see ..you do have something in common....why dont you work on that ...:):)

Ronnit,
Disco HAS to argue with me.....he's like Lex up against Superman...but good always overcomes evil... 8)

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

Liverpool said:
Again....you as an employer may have lower expectations of your new staff than mine, that's all.

How so? I choose the employee on the end result and their overall performance. You don't let them through the door if they can't spell.