The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged]

Re: The Spelling Thread

Back when Muhammad Ali was refusing to be inducted into the US Army they allegedly were trying to get him to pass the IQ standard. In other words set it up so he could not fail the test. The story goes that in the finish all he was required to do to pass the test was get one letter right when spelling the name of America's most popular hot beverage. Guess what the Greatest's answer was?

KAWPHY ;)

LeeToRainesToRoach said:
When something is interpreted as a good omen, many people say/write "it all goes well for the future" when they really mean "it augurs well for the future".

Nice call L2R2R, that is a common one. As is the use of the word "penultimate" to emphasize the uniqueness or greatness of something rather than its actual meaning of second to last.

Liverpool said:
Like I said.....maybe your competency expectations are a lot lower than mine. ;D

Plus it's a lot easier to have someone who spells very good and get them to work faster as they gain experience in the role rather than someone who is fast and can't spell or use grammar to save themselves.
I know which one will cost my company in the long run and which one will be efficient in the long run. ;)

Shouldn't that be "very WELL"??

My personal favourite is the use of the word 'succinct' as a verb....."can you succinct that for us?" as opposed to it correct use as an adjective......"he provided a succinct summary of the proceedings".

They seem to do it a lot on SEN. :-\

As said I don't care much for poor spelling on these forums but I have to admit it really irks me when posters can't spell our players names correctly.

Tigers of Old said:
As said I don't care much for poor spelling on these forums but I have to admit it really irks me when posters can't spell our players names correctly.

Silvester seems to be the latest victim. ;D

Have to admit I got that one wrong yesterday. Poor old Sir Les Patterson cops it worst than most.

Some of my favourites..

Delidio (Deledio)
Patterson (Pattison)
Myer (Meyer)
Casserley (Casserly)
Conners (Connors)
Shultz (Schulz)
Couglan (Coughlan)
Maguane (McGuane)
Reiwoldt (Riewoldt)

and most don't even bother with Oakley-Nicholls (JON). ;D

Panthera tigris FC said:
Silvester seems to be the latest victim. ;D

Indeed. I'll look forward to that. :hihi

Panthera tigris FC said:
My personal favourite is the use of the word 'succinct' as a verb....."can you succinct that for us?" as opposed to it correct use as an adjective......"he provided a succinct summary of the proceedings".

If this thread is looking to Prof Brownless and Doctor Ox for spelling advice, you lot are in trouble :hihi

Panthera tigris FC said:

That is a running joke Pantera. I think Brereton miss used it originally and the rest of the station now run with it.

Tigers of Old said:
Some of my favourites..

Delidio (Deledio)
Patterson (Pattison)
Myer (Meyer)
Casserley (Casserly)
Conners (Connors)
Shultz (Schulz)
Couglan (Coughlan)
Maguane (McGuane)
Reiwoldt (Riewoldt)

and most don't even bother with Oakley-Nicholls (JON). ;D

Indeed. I'll look forward to that. :hihi

At least you won't have to contend with the 101 different versions of 'Krakouer'. Not as often, anyway.

Ms Tantie said:
Good lord, there is no hope...

http://www.merriam-webster.com/info/07words.htm

:hmm

Ms Tantie.
xox

Historians will look back in hundreds of years (maybe) and decide that was the point where we lost our way. :p

Disco08 said:
One word that gets misused a lot, if not misspelled, is hence. Hence, in essence, means why, but you see some people say things like 'hence why Richmond will make the finals next year'.

This one is spreading like a disease at the moment. It's almost as bad as 'yeah nah' in its popularity.
If you want to use words you don't understand to make yourself sound smarter it is a good idea to use them properly.

Tigerdog said:
This one is spreading like a disease at the moment. It's almost as bad as 'yeah nah' in its popularity.
If you want to use words you don't understand to make yourself sound smarter it is a good idea to use them properly.
Agree TD.When Richmond Premiers is used in the same sentence it certainly exposes that poster. ;D :hihi :hihi :hihi :hihi

Tigerdog said:

I'm surprised that you can post at all then T-dog. ;D

Disco08 said:
One word that gets misused a lot, if not misspelled, is hence. Hence, in essence, means why, but you see some people say things like 'hence why Richmond will make the finals next year'. . . .

Sorry to dispute the meaning of a word with so illustrious a poster as Disco, but 'hence' does not mean why by any stretch of the imagination.

Try: from this place, time, cause, or source.

Drat! I got sucked in, after all.

Am I the only one shocked that we are up to page 8!!! on a thread about spelling.

Does this mean:

1) we are sad individuals without footy

2) the cricket and soccer are dull this year

3) we are now the nerd club of the AFL

I'm worried about this, because if we start getting excited for the Spelling Olympics, we are really in need of help :hihi

Disco08 said:
One word that gets misused a lot, if not misspelled, is hence. Hence, in essence, means why, but you see some people say things like 'hence why Richmond will make the finals next year'.
The meaning of Hence..from this point, or
..for this reason
(source Collins Australian English dictionary)

Tiger74 said:
Am I the only one shocked that we are up to page 8!!! on a thread about spelling.

Does this mean:

1) we are sad individuals without footy

2) the cricket and soccer are dull this year

3) we are now the nerd club of the AFL

I'm worried about this, because if we start getting excited for the Spelling Olympics, we are really in need of help :hihi

1) Yeah

2) Yeah

3) Nobody's getting excited, it's more of a chance for people to air their grievances - for some, spelling and grammatical clangers are akin to the sound of fingernails scraping on a blackboard, but they have to grin and bear it as it's poor form to point out such errors if the speaker/writer's intention is clear.

Have heard this one a few times lately:

overexaggerated
over-exaggerated
over exaggerated

None of these are legitimate terms, as the 'over' is redundant.

A word that is used incorrectly by a number of sports media people is 'invariably', where 'usually' or 'often' would be better suited. D.Brereton is a prime culprit.