The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged]

Liverpool

How did that Julia and Kevin thing work out? :)
Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne
Re: The Spelling Thread

Spot the mistake:

its-sold.jpg

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
How so? I choose the employee on the end result and their overall performance. You don't let them through the door if they can't spell.

Then good for you Disco... :clap

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

His real name is John, not Andrew.

(Note spell checker wouldn't pick up the mistake so perhaps Livers has a point on this one.)

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

If you're a prospective client, what's more important when looking at that sign; The fact that the agent sold the house or the fact the sign has a spelling mistake on it that could be either the agent's or the printer's fault?

Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com

Disco08 said:
If you're a prospective client, what's more important when looking at that sign; The fact that the agent sold the house or the fact the sign has a spelling mistake on it that could be either the agent's or the printer's fault?

Perception is everything though.
People looking at that sign may not choose the Real estate agent because they appear sloppy on detail.
That mistake would cost money IMO.

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

;D Maybe, but how long until average spellcheck punctuation as well?

It's funny spellcheck doesn't pick it up as it is because 'its' isn't a word at all is it?

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Disco08 said:
;D Maybe, but how long until average spellcheck punctuation as well?

It's funny spellcheck doesn't pick it up as it is because 'its' isn't a word at all is it?

No it is. (Or is that - "No it's." ;D ) As in "The bird couldn't fly because it hurt its wing."

Liverpool

Jan 24, 2005
Melbourne

jb03 said:
No it is. (Or is that - "No it's." ;D ) As in "The bird couldn't fly because it hurt its wing."

:clap
No wonder Disco wants to hire all the people who can't spell....he doesn't want to hire anyone smarter than him or he might be without a job... :hihi

Disco08

Tiger Legend
Sep 23, 2003

jb03 said:

Right you are. I always thought the possessive form of it was it's. :-[

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

It's can also be derived from it has.

As in, "It's been very boring on PRE without the footy to discuss."

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv

jb03 said:
It's can also be derived from it has.

As in, "It's been very boring on PRE without the footy to discuss."

....or "It's been a long time since JB03 posted anything that has been worthwhile, if ever."

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne

Redford said:
....or "It's been a long time since JB03 posted anything that has been worthwhile, if ever."

Ahhh, unsurprisingly Mr Mathematics joins in on a spelling and grammar thread.

BTW, have you joined the Board yet?

skybeau

Tiger Champion
Mar 19, 2006
Yarragon

fi yuo cna raed tihs, yuo hvae a sgtrane mnid too
Cna yuo raed tihs? Olny 55 plepoe out of 100 can.
i cdnuolt blveiee taht I cluod aulaclty uesdnatnrd waht I was rdanieg. The phaonmneal pweor of the hmuan mnid, aoccdrnig to a rscheearch at Cmabrigde Uinervtisy, it dseno't mtaetr in waht oerdr the ltteres in a wrod are, the olny iproamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer be in the rghit pclae. The rset can be a taotl mses and you can sitll raed it whotuit a pboerlm. Tihs is bcuseae the huamn mnid deos not raed ervey lteter by istlef, but the wrod as a wlohe. Azanmig huh? yaeh and I awlyas tghuhot slpeling was ipmorantt!

;D

Six Pack

Tiger Legend
Aug 28, 2007

Thats weird. I just read that as if it was normal. Nice post, S.Beau

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

When I was a kid, there were a number of duffel coats doing the rounds with

Micheal
Roach

on the back.

When something is interpreted as a good omen, many people say/write "it all goes well for the future" when they really mean "it augurs well for the future".

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne

In 18th century England, a certain unraced thoroughbred colt was known to the stable boys as Potato. The owner asked one of the boys to write the horse's name on a feed bin, and the lad, barely literate, scrawled 'Potoooooooo'; the amused owner registered the horse under this name, and that is how it appeared in early versions of the UK Stud Book. Later keepers of the Book abbreviated the name to Pot-8-Os.

Incidentally this was a very famous horse whose name can be found in the extended pedigrees of many champion Australian racehorses.