The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged] | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The Spelling, Grammar and Punctuation Thread [Merged]

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
“This is the assurance I give the Australia people..."

- Tony Abbott

Don't think this is a misprint, seen it too many times lately. A cricketer is an "Australia batsman" or an "India bowler" etc. When did we drop the 'n'?

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
LeeToRainesToRoach said:
“This is the assurance I give the Australia people..."

- Tony Abbott

Don't think this is a misprint, seen it too many times lately. A cricketer is an "Australia batsman" or an "India bowler" etc. When did we drop the 'n'?

Those sporting references are not totally incorrect. You can only add the "n" because Australia and India are not only the names of the teams, but also the names of the countries involved. Graeme Hick was a "Zimbabwean batsman" and an "England batsman", but he was not an "English batsman".

Or, looking at it another way, if Jack Riewoldt is a "Richmond forward", why can't David Warner be an "Australia batsman"?

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
23.21.159 said:
Those sporting references are not totally incorrect. You can only add the "n" because Australia and India are not only the names of the teams, but also the names of the countries involved. Graeme Hick was a "Zimbabwean batsman" and an "England batsman", but he was not an "English batsman".

Or, looking at it another way, if Jack Riewoldt is a "Richmond forward", why can't David Warner be an "Australia batsman"?

It makes sense when you put it that way, but still reads like it was written by someone learning English.

pahoffm

No one player is bigger than the club.
Mar 24, 2004
For those interested, DK have published in 2014 an absolutely brilliant reference book to the English language, and have packaged it with similar reference volumes on Maths and Science. Actually, each of the three volumes are quite brilliant.

What's more, the three volumes are packaged together and sold at Cosco for $20. Amazing value!

I would recommend it to all teachers and students.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
The way a lot of women in particular pronounce important with a 'd'. ImporDant.

The seemingly increasing trend of not knowing past and present tense. "I seen that". "She come over". And the "he done this".

Dropping the 's' off years ... "...it was about 3 year ago"

" I couldn't be more prouder" Surely that is I couldn't be more proud?

"I could care less". It is 'I couldn't care less'. The fact that you 'couldn't care less' is the commentary in itself and indicates the fact that you had complete contempt for the concept or idea in the first place. Saying you could care less indicates that you actually did care to some extent in the first place but the idea or concept being argued may affect your stance.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Grammatik_macht_frei.jpg

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
Re: Griffiths

zippadeee said:
Ottens had it from day 1. The kid was a star
Shultz was the same but Wallace destroyed him.
As for Griffiths no where near it. Dosent play on the edge and looks like his Scared.

He's (as in 'he is'), not his.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Re: Re: Griffiths

Midsy said:
He's (as in 'he is'), not his.

Basically what I'm trying to say is "he is soft and very over rated"
Ps: has he ever been rated to be over rated?

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
23.21.159 said:
Actually I find that mostly it's "his" instead of "he's" and there's a few serial offenders on this board!

A few regularly do it. Only one of them is repeatedly called out on the forum for it. I find that more a form of bullying than anything else. As though it give those highlighting the error some form of superiority. There is a popular poster on here who does it repeatedly too and I haven't seen him singled out once for it.

I'll copy this to the grammar board because it raises a question I'm interested in but this isn't really the correct thread to discuss it.

In regards to 23's comment above I'm interested to know whether "there is" or "there are" is correct (or both are correct) when referring to a few or more than one. I've always assumed it's the latter. Can anyone please explain the rule for me?

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
rosy23 said:
In regards to 23's comment above I'm interested to know whether "there is" or "there are" is correct (or both are correct) when referring to a few or more than one. I've always assumed it's the latter. Can anyone please explain the rule for me?
From what I know, there is or there's refers to a single, and there are refers to multiple.

Dane stated it correctly by typing there's a few serial offenders (multiple) instead of incorrectly typing there's serial offenders.

Actually, I'm wrong. There's a few or there is a few is wrong. It should be 'there are a few' for multiple. Sorry Dane, you're wrong too. ;D

The lazy habit of slang.....I got it.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
rosy23 said:
A few regularly do it. Only one of them is repeatedly called out on the forum for it. I find that more a form of bullying than anything else. As though it give those highlighting the error some form of superiority. There is a popular poster on here who does it repeatedly too and I haven't seen him singled out once for it.

I'll copy this to the grammar board because it raises a question I'm interested in but this isn't really the correct thread to discuss it.

I am happy to be corrected on my "there is" "there are" glitch, and a bit less happy to be labelled a bully.

I confess to being somewhat of a grammar snob. But I accept the "there, their, they're" and "your, you're" problems - I wouldn't call them out. At least they SOUND the same. Even "would/could/should have/of" fall in to this category.

But the his/he's really grates. They don't even sound the same. Do they? Has speech changed that much in Australia since I left? (more years ago now than I care to remember)

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
23.21.159 said:
I am happy to be corrected on my "there is" "there are" glitch, and a bit less happy to be labelled a bully.

I wasn't calling you out on it. I was genuinely interested and that's why I moved it to this thread for clarification. It does raise a point though. How ordinary would the forum be if we concentrated on highlighting all the grammatical errors, which we all make, rather than engaging in discussion about the given topics?

I explained why I think of it as bullying. Several have highlighted the one poster for posting "his" instead of "he's" yet ignored others who they are probably more favourable towards. Two posters do it regularly yet only one is singled out.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
rosy23 said:
I wasn't calling you out on it. I was genuinely interested and that's why I moved it to this thread for clarification. It does raise a point though. How ordinary would the forum be if we concentrated on highlighting all the grammatical errors, which we all make, rather than engaging in discussion about the given topics?

I explained why I think of it as bullying. Several have highlighted the one poster for posting "his" instead of "he's" yet ignored others who they are probably more favourable towards. Two posters do it regularly yet only one is singled out.

? ? ? ?

Midsy

I am the one who knocks.
Jan 18, 2014
London
rosy23 said:
A few regularly do it. Only one of them is repeatedly called out on the forum for it. I find that more a form of bullying than anything else. As though it give those highlighting the error some form of superiority.

Sometimes people might just want to help too.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Dark green #1- My post was a general one rather than regarding you personally. You mentioned the his-he's error and I was commenting on the erro and the reaction to it on PRE.

Dark green #2- If two posters regularly post his instead of he's, and one is someone people like to have a crack at (imo) and the other is (imo) more respected, what do you think about the discrepancy? One is regularly called out on it and one, as far as I am aware, has never been pulled up. I see no need to name names here but I will PM you the posters I'm referring to.

Midsy I just saw your comment as I went to press post. Same question. Why is one poster singled out and another ignored. I'll PM you the names too so you can give an informed opinion.