The top 10 under the pump | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The top 10 under the pump

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
The top 10 under the pump
6:09:28 PM Sun 5 January, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

As the 2003 season fast approaches, all players at every club will feel the pressure as there is not a single player in the competition who does not have something to prove this year.

But there is little doubt that some players will be under much greater scrutiny than others when the 2003 season starts.

They may be players who have changed clubs in controversial circumstances or be players coming off not one but several below-par seasons.

Below are the 10 players that afl.com.au believes will be under the greatest scrutiny in 2003 in order from number 10 to number one for various reasons:

10. Daniel Chick (West Coast)
9. Daniel Harford (Hawthorn)
8. Nick Davis (Sydney
7. Wayne Carey (Adelaide)
6. Michael O’Loughlin (Sydney)
5. Mark Mercuri (Essendon)
4. Chris Tarrant (Collingwood)

3. Darren Gaspar (Richmond):
It became a standard joke at Richmond last year, as the Tigers plunged from third to 14th, that Darren Gaspar earned more per punch than Australia’s boxing champion Kostya Tszyu. Gaspar, one of the club’s highest-paid players, was offering little in the way of attacking football from his key defensive post and instead was becoming a totally negative player and a highly-paid one at that. The previous year the wiry but strong full-back had been a key factor in the Tigers' rise to third before being painted as one of the chief villains in the club’s huge fall in 2002. A player who regularly gets the jobs on football’s biggest names, it is time for Gaspar to become more than just a spoiler again and give the Tigers defence the kind of drive he gave it so often during the club’s memorable 2001 season.

2. Peter Everitt (Hawthorn)
1. Ben Graham (Geelong)

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Gas had many mates last year whose form dropped off if not worse from that of 2001. I would expect a significant improvement right across the whole team not just from Gas if we're going to play in september this year. Especially from our talls (no injuries - touchwood) and our new look midfield. Hopefully everyone got a kick up the backside as last year was disgraceful.

Tigerdog

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
How the hell did they forget Ben Dixon of Hawthorn????

Ill put him in at .05 ;D

A

admin

I wish they'd stop measuring Gas's performance against his pay cheque.
He wasn't Robinson Crusoe in the performance stakes last season.
He stated he wasn't happy with his form, but he wasn't the worse player in the team either. How many Tigers would have been satisfied with theirs?
Go Gas, Stick it up them.

TigerFurious

Smooth
Dec 17, 2002
I wish they'd stop measuring Gas's performance against his pay cheque.

Sorry Rosy, but I have to disagree with you there. It is perfectly acceptable to measure a players performance by his salary.

On form alone, Gas was far from the worst player last year but considering he is being paid a small countries GDP, he let the club down, badly. Considering he is suposedly one of the highest paid players in the league you would reasonably expect him to:
a) be able to hit a target by foot on most occasions
b) be able to pick the ball up below his knees in one go
c) shut down most of the best forwards in the league
d) actually create something from defense

Some may consider this very unfair but if *smile* plays 20 - 22 games next year I would expect an All OZ berth in the backline or else the club should look for a suitable trade.

Remember kids, you should play like your paid!!!

diggler

The Tigers Spine
Dec 18, 2002
Overpayed, overated, overhere.
The reason why the club got Miller and turfed Brayshaw was because that clown Brayshaw,decided to make the highest paid player at the club a negative defender, not a match winning forward. It will go done in Tiger history as the second worst contract in history. Number one was the signing of Bourke for 200k plus a year.

Koalalill

Just looking for someone else to curse!
Dec 17, 2002
I agree TigerFurious and can I add:

*smile* is our Vice Captain. He needs to show leadership. There were times during 2002 where he simply looked disinterested in what was going on. And to publicly come out and say I don't think I have played that badly and my contract is not relevant to my performances is showing a distinct lake of accountability in my book. He must set an example - if need be he must play hurt if he is carrying a minor injury. Our captain played most of the season carrying a very serious injury (hence why he is only started running the week before Xmas). *smile* pulled out of a game supposedly with a slightly brusied calf. For the huge $ he is on he must be accountable.

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
Spot on all round,

In business, the bigger the salary, the bigger the expectation to perform with the obvious consequence for poor performance. Why should footy players be any different ???
As KL mentioned, who else noticed how disinterested Gaspar looked in 2002, and the pulling out of games with minor injuries that as Caroline Wilson put "Glenn Archer would have described as a scratch" was the worst. He is a football mercenary - this was evident by the way he held the club over a barrell during his contract negotiation. He often stated that he wanted to play for Richmond but left out "only if I get the money I can get at Freo"

Overall I am a Gaspar fan, but for $500K p/yr he would want to perform.
This brings me back to performance based contracts. I am happy for Gas to earn $500K as long as earns it.

All players should be on performance based contracts. As money is now clearly the driving force behind the players these days, make that the carrot and watch how much harder they will try.

I think the club will head this way in the future as most players realise that the party is well and truely over and that a fair dose of reality will be part of their next contract

A

admin

It would be stupid to play injured. Surely the same medicos who ruled Campbo fit to play were the same ones who ruled Dutchy out. It's a bit off to make him sound like a sook or a bludger. He's tough as.
I also reckon Gas will benefit enormously by having Dutchy back in the team, same as Otto should benefit by Richo and Staff being fit.
I don't agree with Gas's pay cheque either if what's been quoted is factual, but who knows if it is or not.
I wish people would get behind the guy and support him instead of always referring back to the money he "allegedly" gets.

crackertiger

Swan street 2017
Jan 4, 2003
melbourne
*smile* will also benifit from a better midfield.

Although, I am aslo concerned about Frawley's so called game plan, you know that one that doesn't exist!

froars

"Famous last words - I'll be good"
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
We were dumb enough to sign Gas up for that money so we have to put up with what we get out of him.

And those of you who have said that he must show leadership - well what in the hell do you think he has been showing since he came to the Tiges? He is entitled to one bad year - can't remember any player who has a perfect record. You got short memories folks.

tro-boy

Get in my belly
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne
www.austinpowers.com
In the current salary cap climate (and as the Melbourne Football Club said), every highly paid player in the AFL is accountable (even ex Brownlow Medallists).

Based on Gaspar's salary, he should be within the 10-20 best players in the AFL each year. If he cannot produce that, his destiny is in Richmond's hands and not his!

As far as I am concerned, when you demand the type of salary he does, you cannot afford even 1 bad year. Just ask Woewodin.

Going forward, Richmond should never again make the highest paid player in the team a blanket defender. Your highest paid player should be able to win you a game and no save you a game!

A

admin

Not only is every highly paid player accountable........every player should be accountable.

The market place dictates the salary to a large degree.

What about Richo who wouldn't be far from Gas (A dual All Australian) on the salary stakes?
He has played far fewer games.  He has had games that aren't up to what we'd expect of him too.  Gas has probably been better onfield value per dollar than Richo, through sheer consistancy, and probably shown more leadership and support for team mates too.
Nothing against Richo, just pointing out that maybe Gas is singled out unfairly.

He is perceived to be a mercenary, but how many of  us know the facts?  The media can paint any picture they want to, and aren't always accurate.
Someone (I think Ghost?) posted a while ago that the money Gas gets is pretty good for a whole backline....
Gas has been general of a backline that sees the ball far more than it should because of a crap midfield and forward line.

You shouldn't underestimate the value of backmen.  Ours have been overworked in recent years, and I'm sure their consistancy and work ethic went a long way to getting us to the finals in 2001 too.

froars

"Famous last words - I'll be good"
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
So what if he demands big bucks. He is in a market where if he can get away with it why not. Richmond were foolhardy to sign him to that money - so don't bag Gas if he has one bad year. He has been the mainstay in the backline ever since he came from Sydney - i cannot fault him.

But i do bag the club for signing any player to that kind of money - spread the money around and get more decent players instead of having "stars" (sorry robots) and a more even spread of good players. You pay the big bucks, any player who has a decent year the following year is going to ask for an increase too - why not - the precedent is set. There is a salary cap - you can't keep on paying one or two players heaps and the rest a pittance - it will catch up - as it has with Carlton - and it just does not equate.

tro-boy

Get in my belly
Dec 18, 2002
Melbourne
www.austinpowers.com
if couglan read the article on the AFL website about the top 10 promising players, I am sure his hand will be out next for a pay rise.

It is a vicious circle - the only way to control it is to ensure that the players are playing at the club for more than just the money

A

admin

if couglan read the article on the AFL website about the top 10 promising players, I am sure his hand will be out next for a pay rise.

That article is purely speculation, and hasn't been achieved yet.
IF Cog's lives up to that, I'm sure when he comes out of contract he'd probably be offered a pretty attractive offer to return west.
Who could blame the guy if he took the best offer.  There isn't much loyalty in the footy "business" now.
That's where it falls back on the club to keep a lid on things as Froars said.

A

admin

not much loyalty unless your name is Matthew Lappin and you decide to stay at Carlton on a reduced contract rather than go to Richmond.
Haha probably a reduced contract and a few hundred k under the table. :rollin