The usual suspects | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The usual suspects

tiga

New RFC fitness regime under Wallace
Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Well after joining the PRE a couple of days ago I have already noticed a common demand for the dropping of some players. 3 to be exact. Pettifer, Rogers
and Fee-Or-Rah (as Rex would say it).

I've done some homework and found that two I agree with and one I don't. I agree with Fiora and Pettifer but I think Rogers, apart from a couple of brain explosions and being played out of position by the committee is actually playing quite solidly.
As far as possesion stats to end of round 5 go, have a look at this:
Rogers 74
Fiora 49
Pettifer 25 (didn't play round 1)

and a fair team mate comparison
Zantuck 44
Chaffey 74 (didn't play round 1)

Not much has been said about Zantuck and Chaffey has without doubt been a star for us so far this season.
Rogers is not far away from Chaffey in Possesions if you take into account Rogers has played one more game.

I have watched a lot of tiger games over the years and believe Rogers is best suited for the forward pocket or half forward flank. To get 74 possesions and be played out of position, I think it's a pretty solid effort. But that is what Matty has alway been for the Tigers. A solid performer who can take a mark and kick a goal.

I know possesions are not the greatest indicatior as to a players form, But it does show how much a player wants the footy which is a big part of the game.

Fireman_Sam

A 'non-sexual' example of the 69 position
Feb 26, 2003
Wales
Rogers should get his left foot amputated .. Why he feels the need to kick left-footed when he's a right footer is a mystery only matched by the crop circles in England's midlands.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
I bet anyone from the club would give a different spin on Rogo's position in the team. It's up to the young bucks to step up and do a better job to get his position.
He still has another year of contract to go too.

I suspect the people bagging Rogo are the ones who also think there's no place at Richmond for Dunc. Yet again the powers to be have different opinions.

Rory and Fiora have shown what they are capable of. I guess if there are no better options pushing for their spot they'll have to run themselves into form in the seniors.

Pettifer has done sfa in his 20 or so games. Averaging 5 posessions a game is like carrying a passenger to me. I don't like the fact he gets games he doesn't earn when kids like Mills and Hyde get in the best for Coburg and don't get a chance.

I could fake a couple of frees and dodge a few contests and get as many touches as Kayne. I don't think he's being helped at all in the seniors and out of his depth all the time.

You ask why Rogo keeps getting selected tiga......well I can see why he is, but I can't see why Kayne gets a game every week.

Until he gets some proper form at Coburg I can't see him making it as an elite footballer.

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
Thanks for the backup Rosy,

I really think Matty should be playing in the forward pocket. Maybe the left forward pocket so his baggers can't blame his left foot.

And maybe his disposals could be better at the moment but as you said, It's up to the young guys to try and kick him out of his position by playing better football.

Matty is an experienced player and I believe the younger players can benefit from his experience whilst he is on the field.

Hungry

Bring back the Tiger mongrel
Mar 18, 2003
Rogers does cost us in terms of manufacturing the odd turnover from nowhere, but he does have some attributes. His kicking can be shocking and I often cringe when I see coaches play him in defence, but I still reckon he has value to the team.

He's big, strong, a good runner and good at the 'one percenters'. Footy teams like us, with a lot of youngsters, need a lot of mature players that are well built. I've always like him in the forward line though - it won't be a turnover when it sails through the big sticks!

As for Fiora and Pettifer, I'm pretty confident they'll be good footballers and we need patience with their development. They're behind Coghlan, Zantuck, Newman, Rodan in terms of physical size, but they'll get there. Both got a bit of class - something we can't have too much of at Richmond - it's just that occassionally they do look like boys among men. Fiora in particular - he may never be as good as Pavlich, but that's done so let's get over it - will be lethal with his pace and kicking once he matures. One day he'll rack up 20 possies and destroy and opposition. Sounds good, eh?

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
I have always been a Matty Rogers fan and still am. Personally i believe he is most damaging as a half back flank, that is where he gets his most positions and i have personally seen him play his best footy in my opinion. AS a forward he does ok too but i feel he is wasted there. eh has a strong body and i have always been of the opinion he should be a half back flanker. his disposal is not the best but is not as bad as some are making it out to be.

As for Fiora, he needs to toughen up, i feel he is too weak and after speaking to a girl that used to go to school with him in Naracoorte and was his tennis partner, she said he would always take the soft option. About time he produced.

Pettifer, well i was backign him up until this week. Hoping he gets more game time as i was not impressed with him last game, but again he was mainly up forward so i cant really judge.

Lets beat Port, spewing i cant get there due to girlfriends work dinner adn free alcohol adn food .

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
You cannot and should not perservere with players that are not performing. Simple as that. They need to be dropped and made to earn their stripes in the two's. Pettifer, Fiora, Rogers (I know people will disagree) and to a lesser extent Hilton need spells at Coburg.

People say we need to perservere with Pettifer. Why? Why not give Hyde or Mills a go. This will definately be their last year if they are not given a go. Don't they deserve a go when they are consistently in the best for Coburg.

Who is pettifer anyway? Just because he was picked at no. 9 doesn't give him the privilage of immunity above the likes of other youngsters. Watching Hyde in the preseason and a few other games he showed more intensity, more courage, more guts than Pettifer ever has.

It will be unjust if Hyde or Mills are not given a chance and then they are delisted at the end of the year. Frawely will definately perservere with Kayne for another 2 or 3 years. I'm not saying that pettifer won't be a player, but currently he has shown as much as the blades of grass on the park, (perhaps accumulating less touches mind you).

Fiora has the talent but is too scared to go in hard, panicks, makes the wrong decisions too often, and needs to bulk up. Some protein drinks won't go astray.

Rogers, - well there are dozens of rogers playing in the VFL, EDFL, and the amatuers. Need I say more.

Hilton will improve and needs to settle down in one position - preferably not on the bench as frawely has been playing him of late.

I feel for Mills and Hyde because as I see it, this is their last chance as they will get the axe after this year. People say they need to impress in the VFL. When rogers was dropped in the VFL last year he did nothing for Coburg, yet he still got his spot back.

It just seems that Frawely and Co. are scared to upset the apple cart and are reluctant to drop "his favoured" players to coburg.

Regardless of result their needs to be constant pressure on positions on the field, and all players need an opportunity - thats all I'm saying.

shawry

Tiger Legend
Apr 14, 2003
Adelaide, Australia
Harry. Matty Rogers has been good this year, i dont think he deserves to be dropped. Fiora could probably use some time in Coburg, i think Pettifer should be perservered with for a little while and given more game time. He has the skills and did well in pre-season.
Mills does deserve a shot, i am not convinced on Hyde yet.

You need blokes that are performing in the twos that are capable of coming straight into the mix and not just being bench sitters. I dont know if we have enough of these.

tiga

Apr 28, 2003
Blue Mountains NSW
I guess you could say kayne Pettifer is an absolute ball magnet at the moment!

Only problem is that he's charged with the same polarity as the ball! ;)