The weekly SOS (Save Our Staff) thread | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

The weekly SOS (Save Our Staff) thread

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Here we go again, ha.
What do people think of this one?
Staffs eyes were on the ball.
As Staffs arm went out Everitt looked to go forward into it.
Accidental contact in play is my verdict.
Staff looks very awkward with arms and legs everywhere, but looking ungainly isn't exactly a reportable offence.
Have a sook Peter Schwab, dobber extraordinairre.

P.S. I think this is only getting attention because of the nature of Spiders injury.
I'm sure it wouldn't rate a mention if noone was hurt.

i.ve watched the replay a few times and that incident about 20 times ;D
staff has no case to answer really.it was accidental his elbow at the time of contact wasnt in motion it was more of a case of spider running into it more than anything.
if anything staff should be more worried about the "knee"into stone,s head.

What 1/4 was the Stone one j2r? Also does anyone know what the incident with Campbo and the umpire that people are baying for blood over was, and what 1/4 it was?

While we're handing out awards for courageous acts how about the push into the boundary Campbell Brown copped from a certain player coming at him from behind. Pity he didn't show that much endevour when he has an opportunity to get in and get the ball. It looked pretty gutless to me, and I hate to see a player of any team subjected to that kind of injury risk being pushed into the fence.
:mad:

(Will retract this comment after I watch the replay again if it doesn't look as bad after a good nights sleep.)

Good Ol Staffy eh... atleast he is consistent. At first I didn't think much of the incident but then I started to wonder how the tribunal will view it... this is where IMO he may have some trouble because the arm makes 2 motions the contact and then the tap out.... but in Staffy's favour, at no time did he take his eye off the ball.
The Stone incident appeared to be nothing to worry about to me.
On the Campbell Brown fence shove, I too was disgusted by this (it wasn't the severity of it) it's a dog act at any time and can only result in injuries... anyone remember Dunkley Do-little's colossal shove into the back of an in-flight Richo at the SCG causing him to do a knee??

Just like Scott West didn't have a case to answer when Richo fractured his cheekbone in round 2, similiarly I really dont think Staff has much to worry about.

Spider did seem to run into his elbow...Staff was just jostling for position as he would in any ruck duel...its not reasonable for him to know that Spider's face would be at the level of his elbow....Spider being so damn tall and all.

There was no malice in at all and as much as the HFC might like to reflect the attention away from the loss....I think they have much bigger things to worry about.

First he tripped over a hole in his garden
Then he ran into an umpire and now
he runs into poor ol staffs elbow..
He has to learn to watch where he is going

IMHO Stafford will have a case to answer simply because of the injury to Everitt. I think that he should plead not guilty because there is alot of evidence ( bad bounce, eyes for the ball) to back him up but in the end will probably be outed for a couple of weeks because the AFL don't like that kind of thing.

If Stafford was to only get a week that would be a good result.

Stone incident - there is nothing to answer I would have thought. Again he had eyes only for the ball not the kids head. The correct decision was made by the umpire (can't beleive I just said that ;D) at the time. The other point no 50 metre penatly was paid.

As for the Spider one. Staff doesn't take his eye off the ball. Also, the stupid umpire didn't pay a free kick and he was right in front of the incident. Having siad all that he'll probably go up because the media seem to gunning for Staff at the moment.

Parker said:
First he tripped over a hole in his garden
Then he ran into an umpire and now
he runs into poor ol staffs elbow..
He has to learn to watch where he is going

Funny stuff Parker....I hope you don't mind, I copied it onto a post at HawkHeadquarters.

From memory Campbell Brown was right on the boundary and Pettifer running behind him gave him a push in the back into the boundary fence.
Luckily it wasn't as forceful as it could have been, but a low act with potential for injury just the same.
Would have been brown's free kick, except he jumped up and had a go at Pettifer, and is reported for his actions from what I can gather.

Supposedly Hawthorn are going to make an official complaint to the AFL. If they don't want to face the reality that their team is simply not good enough and want to blame us instead for a 80 point turnaround then they have severe problems at Hawthorn.

It's always sad to see players get injured but it's a contact sport and sometimes players get hurt in the play and no one is at fault (a la Richo vs dogs). It's just a fact of footy. The more I see the replay the more it looks like an accident. Glad the club has come out strong in Stafford's defence.

Stafford's being unfairly treated in this. Showing up so called "incidents" which never went to the tribunal shouldn't hold up in a true court of law. How can innocence be used as evidence of guilt ???. Commetti's comments in the Freo went beyond what should come from a commentator. His WA bias came out terribly in that game.

This is like waiting for the other shoe to drop in a motel room.

Wish they would either come out and say they are investigating it or not

Lets Roar

Khan

Funny, a agree with most that Staff should get off this one, as I posted on our work forum:

Staffords hit on Everritt was normal ruck contact and should go no further. Stafford was jumping for the ball which automatically brings your arm out and up. Added to that every ruckman that plays past under 10's knows you put that front arm out hard to a, give yourself space and b, protect your head. If you look at the replay you'll find Everritts arm in much the same location as Staffords, just 18 inches lower cause he jumped late, if he'd gone earlier this incident would never have happened. A key point here is also that Stafford won that tap out, he didnt go early with his eyes on the player (ala Primus or White) he went the ball and got it. In short he rucked well. Trying to damn Stafford for what he did is like reporting Moorcroft for his massive mark for kicking a player over the shoulder.

However, I'm worried for our boy. There's a lot on mentions of other unrelated issues and Spider is out for a few and is something of a media darling so his mates (esp Gary Lyon) are gunning for Staff so I fear the posse might lynch him.

Apparently The umpires have posted a notice to investigate on the incident. ( but that came from a rabid hawk on bigfooty)

What's to investigate? It's on video - either they cite him or they don't - seems simple to me or am I missing something ???

As far as I'm concerned, the whole Staff - spider incident
has been blown up by the Hawthorn football club in the attempt to detract from the fact that they blew a 51 point lead!!!

Do you think all this fuss would be going on if they won by 51 points???? I think not!