This years recruits | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

This years recruits

This is my view on our recruits:

Johnson - Exceptional player, who has a fantastic professional attitude, trains hard, goes in and gets the footy (ie is not a receiver) and has good skills and vision. Could be a future leader of the club. Missed a couple of games thru injury, overall I'm wrapped we picked him up and have been quite happy with his year. Interestingly, on Big Footy a couple of weeks ago there was a thread for Recruit of the year - Johnson was the pick for many.
Laff- you call him a 4th string onballer at Adelaide, however on 2 occasions he was in the top 5 players on the ground in premiership sides, including narrowly losing the Norm Smith Medal to freal McLeod in one of those years. Look at Brisbane's midfield and their ratings - 1. Voss 2. Black 3. Akermanis 4. Power/Lappin - I'll take their 4th string midfielder also. Johnson is the least of our problems Tiger fans, let's stick to bagging the duds!!

Blumfield - Did not have a preseason due to Osteitis Pubis and then had a severe thigh injury. Needs to have a big year next year to prove to the Tiger ferals that he is a quality player. I have a bit of a question mark over his kicking and his pace, but is still good enough to be in the top 22 players at the club.

Nicholls - Why? Slow, fat, injury prone - will be lucky to survive delisting (mainly because we can't get rid of all teh duds at once).

Fleming - was very ordinary in his first few games but has played some good games, notable on Mcleod and Lappin. Is aggressive and adds a bit of toughness but his skills are average. Won't be delisted at the year. Is a stop gap player until we can get someone better.

Schulz - Looked a long way off senior football earlier in teh year but has shown some promising signs in his last 2 senior games. Looks to be very mobile and will put on more muscle as he gets older. Will play the rest of the year in teh seniors. I think he'll be our future CHF/CHB.

Sipthorp - Have not seen enough of him to comment, however it's a bit of a worry that he can just mange to get a game for Coburg when they are savaged with injury. When I've seen him play for Coburg he hasn't done enough to impress me. Only young so will be given another year.

rosy3 said:
It's playing dirty pool claiming we had the number 2 pick. The club has said if we had the #2 pick things might have been done differently, but they couldn't second guess what the AFL were going to do in case it didn't happen.

They had to deal with facts and and the fact is we traded #4 pick not #2.

Rosy, Rosy, Rosy.....Blind freddy could have seen what was going to happen to Carlton a month before we made the trade. It's a pity the AFL couldn't sort things out a little quicker, but with the past penalties handed out and the level of salary cap rorting the penalty was obviously going to be severe.

That aside, whether it be a no. 2 or no. 4 selection, any selection inside the top 8 or 10 is like gold.

Having said that, i am very glad to have Kane Johnson on our list. However, with his hamstring probs, as i pointed out in my previous post, as soon as they twinge, we should rest him rather than have him limping around for 5 weeks playing average footy. After a week out, he came back against the dogs to show what he can do.

In relation to his skills which i described as not quite silky. (not sure who got onto me in relation to that one).

Kane's skills by foot ARE NOT great. They are good. He has missed a lot of kickable goals. You want silky, take a look at Tiva on the kickout (last week aside). He's been accurate enough to kick a ball up a chooks clacker from 50 metres without ruffling a feather.

The talk of cogs year being assisted by Kane i don't subscribe to as he is apt at getting his own ball.

However, Tiva's season has been aided by BOTH Cogs and Kane Johnson being there getting it out. Tiva is an outrider (where you want him coz he has the finishing skills). Outriders won't play consistently well unless you have some in and under players feeding it out.

The Boss said:
This is my view on our recruits:

Johnson - Exceptional player, who has a fantastic professional attitude, trains hard, goes in and gets the footy (ie is not a receiver) and has good skills and vision. Could be a future leader of the club. Missed a couple of games thru injury, overall I'm wrapped we picked him up and have been quite happy with his year. Interestingly, on Big Footy a couple of weeks ago there was a thread for Recruit of the year - Johnson was the pick for many.
Laff- you call him a 4th string onballer at Adelaide, however on 2 occasions he was in the top 5 players on the ground in premiership sides, including narrowly losing the Norm Smith Medal to freal McLeod in one of those years. Look at Brisbane's midfield and their ratings - 1. Voss 2. Black 3. Akermanis 4. Power/Lappin - I'll take their 4th string midfielder also. Johnson is the least of our problems Tiger fans, let's stick to bagging the duds!!

Blumfield - Did not have a preseason due to Osteitis Pubis and then had a severe thigh injury. Needs to have a big year next year to prove to the Tiger ferals that he is a quality player. I have a bit of a question mark over his kicking and his pace, but is still good enough to be in the top 22 players at the club.

Nicholls - Why? Slow, fat, injury prone - will be lucky to survive delisting (mainly because we can't get rid of all teh duds at once).

Fleming - was very ordinary in his first few games but has played some good games, notable on Mcleod and Lappin. Is aggressive and adds a bit of toughness but his skills are average. Won't be delisted at the year. Is a stop gap player until we can get someone better.

Schulz - Looked a long way off senior football earlier in teh year but has shown some promising signs in his last 2 senior games. Looks to be very mobile and will put on more muscle as he gets older. Will play the rest of the year in teh seniors. I think he'll be our future CHF/CHB.

Sipthorp - Have not seen enough of him to comment, however it's a bit of a worry that he can just mange to get a game for Coburg when they are savaged with injury. When I've seen him play for Coburg he hasn't done enough to impress me. Only young so will be given another year.

At last somebody's talking sense. Thank you Boss

I have been critical about some of the tried players that the club have recruited.
In the this case, I feel that it was a very astute selection.
Goddard was #1 pick so we wouldn't of got him any way.
Wells#2 pick. He looks like he is going to be a very good, not a in and under player, but a very good link player. We have a few of his type Tiva, Bowden etc.
Brennan#3 Started with a bang, but has struggled to get a game and had little impact in a year where the lions have had a lot of injuries.
Walsh#4 Walsh: unknown, yet to play a game with the dogs on the bottom. Not sure, but if memory serves right might be injured.
McVeigh#5 Unknown: yet to play a game
Brennan#6 Unknown : yet to play a game

With Johnson we got a player who can get his own ball, use it well, and most importantly wanted be here.
With out him and the injuries to Campbell I reckon we would be on the bottom.
Also last years draft was known to be very weak in comparision to the year before.
The way the trade worked out we ended up with #12 pick Schulz: While it is early days yet I really like the look of this guy. He 's just got this look about him, doesn't seem to be overawed and appears to be able to take a contested mark and kick the ball well. I reckon we might have one out the box with him.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!

tigerman said:
The way the trade worked out we ended up with #12 pick Schulz: While it is early days yet I really like the look of this guy. He 's just got this look about him, doesn't seem to be overawed and appears to be able to take a contested mark and kick the ball well. I reckon we might have one out the box with him.

CARN THE TIGES!!!!

During the trade discussion, i had overlooked the fact that although we had lost pick 2, we'd gained pick 12.

It's a good point you make TM, because i agree there is a real lot to like about Jay *smile*.

But please, please, please nobody think that i'm critical of us having Kane johnson on our list. Please read my previous posts carefully. I was looking at the options at the time. I DO think he is an excellent player who attacks the ball hard. Furthermore he wants to wear our jumper. And i agree that we'd be a hell of a lot worse without him.

All the same - good spot up Tigerman.

I know I was one who surprised when we selected Schulz. I thought - what have they done - especially considering they could have had Schammer of Freo.

But my surprise has now turned to being pleased. I appreciate it is early days but Jay shows something - Tigerman highlighted the things that stand out to me. I didn't expect Jay to play many senior games this year because the adjustment to senior AFL from the SANFL and VFL is huge. Remember seeing him play a practice game and thought to myself "there's something about this kid". You can see at training too - just the way he goes about it.

But in the last 2 weeks has shown we do have a couple of kids who if they keep progessing will be good long term for the Tigers. But lets not forget we will still have to have some patience with these youngsters

Oh and did I mention - it's time to promote Matt Shir to the seniors list ;D

I know I havent been kind to spud lately, but Johnston is about the only right descision he has made.

Geez you might be busy typing next year then frickenel. Could be rosy39+6. Nah make that the year after next please.....I hope to do the 3 proud for another season yet. :'(

hey harry, it's easier for an outrider to show composure and evasive skills when they've received a handball 20 metres in space from an in and under player like KJ!

Agree J2R. A laughable assessment of KJ. Even Diggler recognises the guy's exceptional abilities. Remember the Crows' fans posting at the time (on Big Footy I think it was) that they were really upset about losing him, and rejecting the usual hysterical ferals who dismissed him as only the 'no 4' midfielder? A lot of them said that anyone who thinks that hasn't seen many Crows games.

And I also agree wholeheartedly with Rosy that it's dirty pool to keep screaming that we gave up the no. 2 pick. At best it was a rumour that it might happen. We gave up pick 4 - it's a fact, now get over it! I'd like some of those critics to show us the posts they made at time proving that they knew the penalty was a given.

And in any case, I'm quite happy that we picked up Sargeant *smile* + Johnson.

I'm as p***ed off as everyone about some of the hacks on our list, but some of this mindless bleating really gets irritating after a while.

Kane Johnson is one of our better players. However IMO he is overated by alot of people. I will stand by my comment that his composure, evasive skills and vision are average. I don't doubt his hardness but the amount of times he runs into a brick wall and is forced to kick long to contests without looking is too often for a so called champion. He goes missing too often when a heavy tag is applied purely because he lacks evasive skills. Newman and Coughlan can show him a thing or two when it comes to evading a would be tackler. Johnson is solid, a good penetrating kick and definately in our better dozen or so players. However IMO after really assessing him this year and at his age he is definately not worth a number 4 draft pick let alone a number 2 pick.

Kane Johnson is one of the positives to come out of Richmond this year, he doesnt deserve the bagging he has been given.

Its just a shame that we have only really cogs and kane carrying the work load. Maybe with a fit campbell and 2 more decent young kids we can start getting a top line midfield to tackle the likes of brisbane,west coast, adelaide .............

well done kane you can hold your head high.

what im dirty on is with 6 or 7 games to go we all knew we couldnt make the 8 with the exception of dudley and the drongo's. Every kid we had should have been playing. The very worst that could have happend was we might have uncovered some one who could play a bit. As we all know, dudley chose to look after his short term future rather than the long term future of the club. If he had played the kids in the last six or deven games we probably would have lost all of them thus ensuring ourselves a priority pick and we could have had our cake and ate it because with pick one and two we could have kept jason torney traded pick two for johnson and picked up goddard with our priority pick. As far as i'm concerned dudley's inability to play kids has cost us big time.

Hey Claw.

I wonder whether spud being on a performanced based contract incorporating wins, memberships, crowds etc has anything to do with it. He did the same last year.