Thomson Dow | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thomson Dow

unfortunately i think you're right. our kids look average at best, if we dont get some elite young talent in the door soon we could be in for a very loooong rebuild.
I think the reality is that our kids are just not very good.
2019 draft we took Dow at pick 21. Of those drafted after him, who looks better at the moment? Robertson (22), Schoenberg (24), Jones (30), Rivers (32), Warner (39) the only ones that are playing some sort of regular senior football. Then we took Cumberland, Martyn and Ralphsmith all in the 40's. There's nothing after them suggesting they were bad picks.

If we were drafting duds in the top 10 it would be a concern, but most of our juniors have been picks in the 20+ region. It tends to happen when you win 3 flags in 4 years.

These kids slide for a reason - they need development, which we thought we were well placed to give them - and they've been forced to play before they're ready due to ridiculous numbers of injuries.

Give these kids some time before labelling them no good

Reactions: 8 users
2019 draft we took Dow at pick 21. Of those drafted after him, who looks better at the moment? Robertson (22), Schoenberg (24), Jones (30), Rivers (32), Warner (39) the only ones that are playing some sort of regular senior football. Then we took Cumberland, Martyn and Ralphsmith all in the 40's. There's nothing after them suggesting they were bad picks.

If we were drafting duds in the top 10 it would be a concern, but most of our juniors have been picks in the 20+ region. It tends to happen when you win 3 flags in 4 years.

These kids slide for a reason - they need development, which we thought we were well placed to give them - and they've been forced to play before they're ready due to ridiculous numbers of injuries.

Give these kids some time before labelling them no good
agree. Besides Dow was ill this year and his weight is down. give him another preseason., his hands are magic.

Reactions: 1 user
Over the years reading people’s posts on our younger players threads, I get the feeling there must be a lot of unfulfilled wives / girlfriends / partners within the PRE community as the amount of premature ejac....
, sorry, speculation is mind boggling.

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I'm guilty of thinking we had depth to keep us at the top for many years. Then again who'd have thought covid, shocking and injuries would have caused the carnage we have presently?

I'm guilty of thinking we had depth to keep us at the top for many years. Then again who'd have thought covid, shocking and injuries would have caused the carnage we have presently?
Unfortunately the year off that the VFL had last year killed the development of many of the guys coming through.

With the season done and so many injuries I would keep playing RCD, Dow etc for the remainder of the year. Yes they probably aren’t ready but this is a free hit for their development.

Reactions: 4 users
With the season done and so many injuries I would keep playing RCD, Dow etc for the remainder of the year. Yes they probably aren’t ready but this is a free hit for their development.
With all these things there's a balance between more seasoned players & the kids who have earned a game. We're not revisiting the Tambling days.

With all these things there's a balance between more seasoned players & the kids who have earned a game. We're not revisiting the Tambling days.
True, but the club after our next loss will be all about 2022. Getting another 5-6 games into the younger players will be invaluable come next season. We will suffer on field for it but just consider it an investment for the future.

Played his best football in his first preseason match. Showed flair confidence and excitement. Similarly Ross and Stack played their best football in their first few games. Rioli played his best footy by far in his first 2 years. I'm hoping we're not seeing a worrying trend with our development of our players. that we are trying to mould them into strictly role players.

You can't compare the performances of our kids relative to opposition kids because the opposition kids comin into the midfield are playing next to senior players who are used to their role.

Our kids are coming in and playing next to other kids, or other senior players who've also never played midfield ie Baker.

I'd rather see how they go when they are in the guts with our regular mids and where they can come in for a camoe run in the middle rather than be stuck in there gassed out becaosue they have to spend too many minutes in there relative to their age and development.

The lack of punctuation in that last sentence probably gassed out a lot of the critics on this thread!

• Haha
Played his best football in his first preseason match. Showed flair confidence and excitement. Similarly Ross and Stack played their best football in their first few games. Rioli played his best footy by far in his first 2 years. I'm hoping we're not seeing a worrying trend with our development of our players. that we are trying to mould them into strictly role players.
Dean Polo & "flappers" McIntosh also had blinders early on

Dows hands are elite! Will be a jet. Martin looks like a plodder these last few weeks. He will be fine. Our issues are players like Naish, Egg, Miller, Ross, Garthwaite etc. Dow will be an A grader

Over the years reading people’s posts on our younger players threads, I get the feeling there must be a lot of unfulfilled wives / girlfriends / partners within the PRE community as the amount of premature ejac....
, sorry, speculation is mind boggling.

yeah but its all about 2nd and 3rd efforts.

I still reckon Dow is the best of gen next.

and I hope after the 2021 draft, hes about 3rd or 4th best of gen next.

yeah but its all about 2nd and 3rd efforts.

I still reckon Dow is the best of gen next.

and I hope after the 2021 draft, hes about 3rd or 4th best of gen next.
Second and Third efforts??
Not sure about you EZ but I’m not 21 anymore where I could finish up, have a quick smoke and a cordial and get back into it....
I’m 48 now, takes me 2 days to recover, not by the act itself but the fact the wife was happy to indulge in a little horizontal folk dancing...

• Haha
Unlucky not to get a vote. Was the leading contested disposal getter for us. Eligible for the Rising Star?

was great for 4 quarters tonight

10 CP for 22.

I love a player who runs with the ball in one hand.

Took a massive leap today.:)
Terrific game - Showed the brilliance many of us knew he always had.
Hope he builds on that and it instills him with the confidence that he belongs at this level.
Gives us great hope for the midfield rebuild.

Reactions: 4 users
Showed tonight why the club has big plans for him. His ability in traffic was very good.

Reactions: 5 users