Thoroughbred racing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoroughbred racing

MB78

I can have my cake and eat it too
Sep 8, 2009
Had Goldtrip with the Betr $10 at the 100 to 1 odds. Had 3 other horses as well. So I won about $900 for the day.

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Wow. Another big drop off in viewer numbers watching the Cup. 345,000 less nationally v last year. All major cities bar Melbourne (which had an 8000 increase) had significant drop offs. No doubt 7’s telecasting of Randwick a major factor.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Wow. Another big drop off in viewer numbers watching the Cup. 345,000 less nationally v last year. All major cities bar Melbourne (which had an 8000 increase) had significant drop offs. No doubt 7’s telecasting of Randwick a major factor.
Plus the influence of the hairy arm pit lefty crew that think the sport of kings is evil and must be banned.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Had Goldtrip with the Betr $10 at the 100 to 1 odds. Had 3 other horses as well. So I won about $900 for the day.

i have 20 ew on Emissary and thought I was going to win 150 out but just peaked on its run. Had a few dollars on the quinella though so my spring carnival has been paid for.

Reactions: 1 user

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Plus the influence of the hairy arm pit lefty crew that think the sport of kings is evil and must be banned.
Funny you say that. My old girl reckons all the Gen Z ‘ers at her work refuse to buy into horse racing, the social scene of it etc. Very anti racing. And many are preppy, private school conservatives with a “conscience” …not lefties.

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
7 gave no kudos to the Cup whatsoever.

A very disappointing presentation that had me as a host quite embarrassed.

No pageantry, no sense of occasion, no respect of tradition.

7 if you reckon nsw county cups horses are worth airtime, you’re pulling the wrong chain and are subservient to mr v’landys. He’s got you conned on this occasion if not repeatedly so.

And I’m from NSW!

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach
7 gave no kudos to the Cup whatsoever.

A very disappointing presentation that had me as a host quite embarrassed.

No pageantry, no sense of occasion, no respect of tradition.

7 if you reckon nsw county cups horses are worth airtime, you’re pulling the wrong chain and are subservient to mr v’landys. He’s got you conned on this occasion if not repeatedly so.

And I’m from NSW!

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Funny you say that. My old girl reckons all the Gen Z ‘ers at her work refuse to buy into horse racing, the social scene of it etc. Very anti racing. And many are preppy, private school conservatives with a “conscience” …not lefties.
My bride works at the QLD Govt (I know, I know….) and she said there was zero interest in the race.

No sweeps, no luncheon, nothing. Asked why, she said it’s politically incorrect to support cruelty to animals blah blah..

Anyway, stuff that, I’m off to the Brekky Creek Hotel tomorrow for a steak, multiple bets and multiple beers.

Whats the good oil folks?

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
My bride works at the QLD Govt (I know, I know….) and she said there was zero interest in the race.

No sweeps, no luncheon, nothing. Asked why, she said it’s politically incorrect to support cruelty to animals blah blah..

Anyway, stuff that, I’m off to the Brekky Creek Hotel tomorrow for a steak, multiple bets and multiple beers.

I reckon the VRC have some issues with the Spring Carnival. Crowds have been in a steady decline since its peak in the mid 2000’s.

Besides the animal safety issue to contend with, they’ve alienated a lot of rusted on racing enthusiasts. A day at the track is outrageous in terms of price. They gorge the guts out of members. The new stand has also alienated a lot of people. I don’t mind it per se - the first floor bar is great especially with the windows open and sitting outside - but the rest isn’t exactly for serious race goers I don’t reckon. More young, clubby …Espy en masse type of scenes. I know a lot of members don’t like the upper floors. Expensive, loud music, clubby sort of scene mixed in with eye watering priced dining areas. Not very accessible for many members.

Me nowadays, I’m as happy going to the pub to watch the races than go to Flemington. You can see more, no crowds and ques and rip off prices for everything. There’s some pubs that do it really well nowadays.

Reactions: 2 users

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

No doubt young people are indifferent at best and more often anti racing. Alot of it is in how they are educated though and what beliefs are instilled in them early. No school sweeps no TVs with the race on. Reinforcement that gambling is bad. Most of the teachers are lefties.

Reactions: 1 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
No doubt young people are indifferent at best and more often anti racing. Alot of it is in how they are educated though and what beliefs are instilled in them early. No school sweeps no TVs with the race on. Reinforcement that gambling is bad. Most of the teachers are lefties.
Me personally, I reckon they’re just upset that the VRC won’t let them in with their skinny Bermuda shorts and tan loafers with no socks on that they usually wear to the yacht club. “Do something Mr Guy ! Do something !”

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
I reckon the VRC have some issues with the Spring Carnival. Crowds have been in a steady decline since its peak in the mid 2000’s.

Besides the animal safety issue to contend with, they’ve alienated a lot of rusted on racing enthusiasts. A day at the track is outrageous in terms of price. They gorge the guts out of members. The new stand has also alienated a lot of people. I don’t mind it per se - the first floor bar is great especially with the windows open and sitting outside - but the rest isn’t exactly for serious race goers I don’t reckon. More young, clubby …Espy en masse type of scenes. I know a lot of members don’t like the upper floors. Expensive, loud music, clubby sort of scene mixed in with eye watering priced dining areas. Not very accessible for many members.

Me nowadays, I’m as happy going to the pub to watch the races than go to Flemington. You can see more, no crowds and ques and rip off prices for everything. There’s some pubs that do it really well nowadays.

For years I lived a sober 2 mins walk from Doomben and 5 mins from Eagle Farm. Every Saturday was spent at one of the other.

Knew all the stappers, some of the trainers and got to know Wayne Wilson as well as David Fowler really well. Got stacks of good tips.

They were simpler times, where the true racing folk were well catered for. Bars and bookies and somewhere to grab a simple feed were all that was required.

Then the gimmicks started, and I get that, crowds were dropping and they needed to create more interest. Young members days up here are a *smile* show, some of the young fillies are finished by the 3rd, making fools of themselves and making a day at the races feel more like battling the morons at City Rowers at 2am.

I haven’t been to Flemington in about 25 years. That new grandstand looks good, but doesn’t look user friendly to me. I certainly wouldn’t rush there to watch the on track action.

Reactions: 2 users

Bernie

Tiger Superstar
Aug 19, 2008
Tura Beach

I’d go to the Rum Wall at the Brekky Creek!

• Love

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
For years I lived a sober 2 mins walk from Doomben and 5 mins from Eagle Farm. Every Saturday was spent at one of the other.

Knew all the stappers, some of the trainers and got to know Wayne Wilson as well as David Fowler really well. Got stacks of good tips.

They were simpler times, where the true racing folk were well catered for. Bars and bookies and somewhere to grab a simple feed were all that was required.

Then the gimmicks started, and I get that, crowds were dropping and they needed to create more interest. Young members days up here are a *smile* show, some of the young fillies are finished by the 3rd, making fools of themselves and making a day at the races feel more like battling the morons at City Rowers at 2am.

I haven’t been to Flemington in about 25 years. That new grandstand looks good, but doesn’t look user friendly to me. I certainly wouldn’t rush there to watch the on track action.
Yeah I agree. No problem with what they started doing 15 or so years ago by marketing it to the younger crowds, creating more of a social scene etc etc. But they’ve taken it all too far now, and with the insane costs of everything that they’re applying as well, the genuine race goer is abstaining. In fact, I reckon a lot of young people themselves are saying this is all too much. Haven’t been in 3 years, but in 2019 for example, for members it was $12 for 4 tiny little triangle cut pieces of chicken sandwich. I think it was like $12 a schooner - again that was 2019. For members ? Really ? Cmon. Maybe it’s lower now…dunno. Plus you had to line up for ages for the “privilege”.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016

City Rowers in the late 90s that brings back a few memories. I cut a few from the herd there but it wasn’t particularly hard either

Bunnerz

Richmond are cool man
Aug 12, 2003
Geelong
interesting thoughts...ill add mine.

I used to go Derby Day, Ballarat Cup, Werribee Cup and Stakes Day every year for about 12 years but have stopped about 5 years ago.

The cost, and for memory a few years ago you could only book online weeks prior for Flemington. Changed now i think.
I would rather decide a couple of days before officially if i wanted to go.
Now i go to Pub or watch at home with my own beer and platter (sorta sad i know)

2022 CUP.

I worked for a collegue as promised months ago, i went in to work with ipad to watch every race, bar myself and two blokes in their 30s, no one else could give a rats about the races (20 staff approx)

Customers too, many who didnt even know it was Melbourne Cup Day (go figure)

I spoke to a co-worker and he said Melbourne Cup was for "Drunk, white bogans" (how lovely).
But where i live, i actually think the majority feel this way now. Very sad.
A young girl i spoke to (18 maybe) said "Horse racing is barbaric and i cant believe we have a public holiday for a stupid horse race"

It was like a normal Tuesday where i was. Ididnt hear of any BBQs going on.
Rewind 20 years ago and there was Melbourne Cup BBQs on every street.

I have also worked in schools for the last 5 years and the words Melbourne Cup must not be said. Crazy.