Thoroughbred racing | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Thoroughbred racing

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Well done Soulcombe!!! Tiger boys celebrating. Will run in the Melbourne Cup next year.

Reactions: 1 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
Jack said there's another horse called Castagna who hasn't done well, and that George got married yesterday.

Congrats to George and wife.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
2022 CUP.

I worked for a collegue as promised months ago, i went in to work with ipad to watch every race, bar myself and two blokes in their 30s, no one else could give a rats about the races (20 staff approx)

Customers too, many who didnt even know it was Melbourne Cup Day (go figure)

I spoke to a co-worker and he said Melbourne Cup was for "Drunk, white bogans" (how lovely).
But where i live, i actually think the majority feel this way now. Very sad.
A young girl i spoke to (18 maybe) said "Horse racing is barbaric and i cant believe we have a public holiday for a stupid horse race"

It was like a normal Tuesday where i was. Ididnt hear of any BBQs going on.
Rewind 20 years ago and there was Melbourne Cup BBQs on every street.

I have also worked in schools for the last 5 years and the words Melbourne Cup must not be said. Crazy.

I was teaching a year 6 class on cup day about 10 years ago

I was a fresh teacher and had been told to teach authentically and relevantly.

So for PE/maths, i had the kids run 3200m, with the fastest ones carrying more bean bags than the slower ones.

The new English kid won, carrying 10 bean bags (top weight was 12). Had a dozen DNF.

I got hauled into the principles office and disciplined quite sternly

'We cant condone gambling' i saw his point.

It was the era when Tom Waterhouse was running back to back ads during the cartoons.

In the 70s and 80s our year 6 teacher at primary school always ran a barely underground sweep. You bought 20 cents on cup day, and sought Mr.B out discreetly.

I drew Gurners Lane in 1982 and shouted all my mates potato cake after school.

Sure, ive grappled with gambling addiction at various times in my life, but ive grappled with booze too, and Mr.B never gave me a stubby

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: 1 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Not a punter myself but the missus enjoys a little dabble on the giddyups. Stupid woman got three legs of the quaddy yesterday n missed out on some serious beer money.

Leysy Days

Tiger Legend
Feb 26, 2004
Leysy bought into his first horse (Shalook) a few months back and she's having her first run for the new owners (and trainer) today.

In the time honoured Regional Funeral Services maiden in Race 1 at Gundagai.

Surpisingly, good prizemoney for a country maiden - $40K.

Will get our purchase price back if she happens to salute. Currently $2.40 and should go close.

Give her strength!

Reactions: 4 users

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Leysy bought into his first horse (Shalook) a few months back and she's having her first run for the new owners (and trainer) today.

In the time honoured Regional Funeral Services maiden in Race 1 at Gundagai.

Surpisingly, good prizemoney for a country maiden - $40K.

Will get our purchase price back if she happens to salute. Currently $2.40 and should go close.

Give her strength!
Chumpley and I have each put a small $10k wager on it. Don’t let us down Nobet Pays.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user