Tiger five-day break 'unavoidable: AFL | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger five-day break 'unavoidable: AFL

mightytiges

The greatest Tiger of them all - Jack Dyer R.I.P.
Dec 16, 2002
Tue 22 April, 2003
Paul Gough
afl.com.au

The AFL says Richmond’s five day break leading into Saturday’s round five clash against Hawthorn at the MCG was unavoidable due to the close proximity of the Easter and Anzac Day split rounds this season.

Under AFL rules all clubs are normally guaranteed at least a six day break between matches as part of the league’s collective bargaining agreement with the AFL Players’ Association.

But after playing in the Easter Monday clash against St Kilda at the Telstra Dome – the Tigers will again be action this Saturday while their opponents Hawthorn will have enjoyed the luxury of a seven day break after having played against the Swans last Saturday night.

However AFL football operations manager Andrew Demetriou told afl.com.au the situation was unavoidable.

“It’s all to do with having the back-to-back holiday weekends with Anzac Day coming straight on top of the Easter weekend,” he said.

Already this season both Brisbane and Collingwood have endured a five day break between games but at least both teams were in the same situation when they met on the Thursday night, prior to Good Friday, at the Gabba in round four.

However that is not the case this time with the Tigers having two less days to prepare than Hawthorn.

In contrast the Saints at least have the minimum six day break, prior to their match against Geelong on Sunday.

However under the AFL’s television deal – which requires three games to be played each Sunday – the Tigers could not have played their match on a Sunday (which would have given them a six day break) as matches are also being played in Brisbane and Perth as well as the Saints’ clash at Telstra Dome that day.

But many Richmond fans were wondering why their match was not at least scheduled on the Saturday night – to give them at least a slightly longer break – rather than the Saturday afternoon.

The Kangaroos and Carlton will play at the Telstra Dome on Saturday night with the Hawks hosting Richmond during the day at the MCG – which is the Hawks’ preferred time-slot to stage their MCG home games.
Richmond coach Danny Frawley admitted immediately after his side’s win over St Kilda on Monday that his players faced a major challenge to back up so quickly against the Hawks this Saturday.

“We’ve talked about that as a group and it’s super important we start recovering and getting ready for Hawthorn,” he said.

“It’s something we haven’t been able to do as a group - we haven’t played a five day break in my time at the club – which is three and a half years now.’

Frawley said the Tigers would be given an ultra-light week on the training track to ensure they are physically ready to face the Hawks.

‘We are professionals and we won’t do a hell of a lot of training this week,” he said.

“We will train our mind to make sure that when we go and play (against Hawthorn) we play with the same intensity as we have over the last three weeks (in the wins over the Bulldogs, Fremantle and St Kilda).”

MC24

Tiger Superstar
Jan 14, 2003
I haven't checked it out, but I think the last time we had a five day break was 1995.

We played North on the Monday night and then Brisbane on Saturday afternoon at the MCG. We won both. :)