Tiger Reject to be Next Pope | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Tiger Reject to be Next Pope

Tiger in a Tube

Richmond Redeemer
Sep 11, 2003
www.puntroad.com
from www.puntroad.com/content

The Richmond Football Club now has indirect access to God with the elevation of Cardinal George Pell into one of the the Catholic Church's most influential positions. Pell trained for a short time with the Tigers, but was told his services were no longer required due to his lack of skill.

Cardinal Giovanni Maldini said today, "Look, the Church is full of secrets, but an open one is that Pope John Paul II is an AFL nut. When he was a young priest in Krakow during WWII, he used to tune into match day broadcasts via shortwave. He did this knowing that it would almost certainly give away his position to the German Army, but he did it anyway. He's always followed the Tigers and his recent bout of bad health is not being helped by the Tigers form over the past 20 or so years."

According to well placed Vatican sources, more and more of the Catholic Church's Cardinals are coming out as supporting Essendon or Carlton or Collingwood or even Adelaide. This has the pope very concerned. Cardinal Pell's promotion is seen as the pope saying to the Tiger followers, "Look, don't loose your Faith. We've got George on the job and he will make sure the Tigers are looked after upstairs."

Well regarded members of both football and religious circles say that the sky is the limit for Pell. "Look, there's nothing to say that he won't go on, take that next step and become pope. . .really, he's looking very good for it. All that he's doing is trying in some small way to make up for the profound disappointment he must of felt at not making the grade at the Richmond Football Club. And good on him. Some players fade away or go on to play for Port Melbourne. But not George, he's decided that by becoming leader of over 1 billion Catholics, he can in some small way make up for this footballing failures."

"Recently delisted players should take heart that even though you aren't good enough for the Tigers, there's every chance that you'll be good enough for God."

Early morning swimmers at the David Mandie Pool at the Richmond Football club reported seeing tears on the Jack Dyer Statue out in front of the new facility upon news that Pell had been promoted.

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
Meanwhile theologians have been scrambling to explain the Tigers' consitently poor showings despite their top-draw eclesiastical connections. Brisbane have managed to complete a three-peat in spite of the fact that their leading man of the cloth is Archibishop Peter Hollingsworth. Indeed, Carlton claimed a swag of flags in the 80s and 90s with only religious singer Tony Barber for spiritual guideance.

Coach Danny Frawley said yesterday, "Look, the boys have been operating under a pretty catholic game plan. It's something we've got to look at. They carry a lot of guilt out onto the field. We can't worry about the toss, if some of our players go blind, so be it."

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Tigerblood said:
Indeed, Carlton claimed a swag of flags in the 80s and 90s with only religious singer Tony Barber for spiritual guideance.
Haha :rollin

Great article Tigerina. Very funny stuff. ;D

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
O come Tiger faithful
Joyful and triumphant!
O come ye, o come ye
To the MCG

Come and behold them
Born the King of the Jungle

O come let us adore Him
O come let us adore Him
O come let us adore Him

Richo the Lad!

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
A bit of trivia for all you MICK's out there.

In grade 6 for my confirmation (for all you non catholics, it is a welcoming into the church as an adult + take a saints name) we had the great man George Pell as our priest.

After the ceremony, he was speaking to all of us and I asked him his time at tigerland, telling him I was a big tiger fan.

Basically his calling into the priesthood got in the way of his footy career. But one thing, his is a big man, with the biggest hands you have ever seen. The word was he was a gun player.

BTW, he still loves the tiges and follows them.

Rosy

Tiger Legend
Mar 27, 2003
Rampaging Richo said:
it is a welcoming into the church as an adult + take a saints name

Saint Rampaging Richo.....What a blessed life you must lead with a wonderful name like that. :D

Dean3

Older than I've ever been
Dec 17, 2002
Melbourne
With Jack in heaven and Cardinal Pell wiith very close connections, surely we're in for a blessed season. Praying can't hurt, anyway!

Roar34

I wuv the Tiggers
Aug 10, 2003
Castlemaine
I'm not a believer but that staue bit really got to me.

Anything that could make Jack cry would have to be a miracle. Can we expect a beatification of JD?

If I embark on a pilgrimage to Punt Road and make an offering to the statue would I be cleansed of the sin of barracking for Collingwood against Port Power?

I see a great light coming from the MCG and I can see the numbers 2005 - does that mean the Tiges will win the GF in 2005 or does it signify the first night GF in 2005?

Oh, this is powerful stuff we are dealing with, Tigerina

Tigerblood

Tiger Matchwinner
Dec 18, 2002
NEWS UPDATE:

New cardinal George Pell revealed today some of the contents of his discussion with Pope John Paul II during his recent ordination at the Vatican in Rome.

"I asked JP about the prospects of a Richmond player becoming a saint," Pell told Punt Road End yesterday. "I suggested Athas Hrysoulakis, Ty Esler and Chris Pym, but His Holiness didn't seem interested. I pointed out that, other than myself, these were three of the greatest Tiger rejects in the history of the club, but he still wouldn't budge."

When quizzed about rumours of a deal being done for the canonisation of Danny Frawley, who is known to be a favourite of the pontiff, Pell revealed "JP wants two proven miracles. He said a top 8 finish and 6o goals from Richo would suffice."

Frawley was unavailable for comment.

Tiger in a Tube

Richmond Redeemer
Sep 11, 2003
www.puntroad.com
Lmao TB

R34 - pilgrimages are to be encouraged to the JD statue. It's a simple, yet poignant way to re-affirm your Tigerness and cleanse yourself of your Pie supporting sins. This pilgrimage should be undertaken once a year, and all tiger faithful should pray in the direction of Punt Road five times a day. Further, an annual zakath contribution to the club is expected

The JD statue does indeed weep . .or it could just be the early moring dew. ;)

Rampaging_Richo

Making the easy seem incredible
Dec 19, 2002
Melbourne
rosy3 said:
Rampaging Richo said:
it is a welcoming into the church as an adult + take a saints name

Saint Rampaging Richo.....What a blessed life you must lead with a wonderful name like that. :D

It took a bit of convincing to my R.E teacher that a man named Richo would one day set himself apart from ordinary mortals, and perform three miracles in his lifetime all whilst performing the good lords work!! Well if Richo has performed 1 miracle, he has performed 100 :D