To those of you media experts who think Richmond get too many games at the MCG, read this. | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

To those of you media experts who think Richmond get too many games at the MCG, read this.

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
Here it is. A mathematical explanation of why there are 13 to 14 home and away games involving Richmond at the MCG each year.

Aside from Richmond, there are anything between three to five MCG co-tenants.
Wikipedia lists Melbourne, Collingwood, Essendon, Hawthorn and Carlton, but it also lists Essendon and Carlton as tenants of Marvel Stadium.
So this is a variable number. Let's call X the number of co-tenants a team has.

The calculation can actually be applied to any team, not just Richmond.

It ignores minor anomalies such as:
1. Away games against non-co-tenant Geelong which end up at the MCG anyway.
2. Away games against co-tenant Hawthorn in Tasmania.
3. The fact that this distribution is less random for non-Victorian teams because they always play their co-state team twice every year.

This answers the question "Given the current structure of the AFL, what is the statistically expected number of games a team can expect to play at its home ground, based on the number of co-tenants it has?"

There are fractional numbers here which make it sound ridiculous but that does not alter the fact that the result is a valid statistical average value.

A team's games fall into four categories.
1. Co-tenants that they play twice. On average there are 5*X/17 of these teams, and twice as many games all of which will be at the MCG - so that's 10*X/17.
2. Other teams they play twice. There are (17-X)*5/17 of these teams, twice as many games, and half of them will be at the MCG - that's (17-X)*5/17.
3. Co-tenants that they play once. There are 12*X/17 of these teams, the same number of games, and they are all at the MCG - so that's 12*X/17.
4. Other teams they play once. There are (17-X)*12/17 of these and half of the games will be at the MCG so that's (17-X)*6/17.

Adding them up and doing some algebra gives the magic formula of 11*(X/17+1).

So, if you think we have three co-tenants, then Richmond should average 12.94 MCG games per year.
If you think it's four, then we should have 13.59 per year.
But really it's five - Richmond haven't played Carlton at Marvel since 2006 and we've never played Essendon there.
So the number is 14.24. We should be getting 14 games a year and even 15 every fourth year.

If Richmond are getting any less than 14 games at the MCG in a year, then we should be the ones complaining.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
We need to play more games at Adelaide Oval. Maybe we request we play our prelim this year at AO regardless of opposition.

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
In the cases of Carlton and Essendon they are Marvel tenants, but because games between them and us and the Pies tend to draw large crowds, the AFL fixture them at the G, and the clubs probably prefer that. A little fact that people have glossed over about us and the Giants, is that last weekend was the first time we’ve ever played them at Marvel.

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
to me, the amount of away games we play at the MCG is irrelevant. it’s not our fault other MCG tenants wanna play home games against us. It should not be part of this debate. Richmond members do not get any rights at away games. We cannot sit in our regular reserved seat and we have to pay full price for tickets. The only team that gets to sit in their reserved seat for away games at the MCG is Collingwood.

What the Richmond critics don't acknowledge is that we do not get the same home ground rights at Marvel as we do at the MCG. eg. at the MCG I sit L1 goals (next to the cheer squad). For me to sit in a comparable seat last Saturday night, I had to pay an extra $10. And some members had to pay as much as $33 on top of their membership.

Reactions: 3 users

MD Jazz

Don't understand football? Talk to the hand.
Feb 3, 2017
There was a caller to SEN yesterday who listed various stats on the tigers and their playing schedule with reference to other sides. It pointed out the sheer stupidity of the likes of Cornes carrying on about our favourable draw. It is an open and shut case. We are being disadvantaged in comparison to every other side with reference to home ground advantage.

Redford

Tiger Legend
Dec 18, 2002
Tel Aviv
Meh. Fake news created by a fake media desperately trying to attract attention.

Don't bother getting sucked in and giving it oxygen. That's what the media want you to do.

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
Geelong get the gate revenue from playing us at the G during home and away but not during finals is that correct?

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Wonder what a reasonable definition of a home game would be?

Would it have something to do with being a ground that is exclusively played at on a regular basis by the one team against varying opponents each time?

Would it have something to do with a ground size or configuration that gave the " home " team a decided advantage through the exclusive knowledge and regular access to play to these circumstances?

Would it have something to do with regularly / exclusively training on the specified ground to the disadvantage of all opposing teams?

There's no such thing as a " Home " ground advantage anymore for any of the Melbourne based clubs. There's two grounds that are far to commonly shared between far too many clubs for either the G or Marvelarse to be classed as a " Home " ground among the Melb based clubs.
The only advantage Melb based clubs get against the interstate clubs is exactly the same as the interstate clubs get when we travel to their grounds and that is purely the interstate travel factor, of which they get far more practice and experience at.

Geelol get by far the greatest Home ground advantage of any club in the comp as it meets all of the home advantages. They get to play at Krapdinia Park exclusively eight games per year. It's a long skinny weird shaped ground that's like no other ground in the comp. They have exclusive access to it as their home training base.
Next greatest " home " ground advantages would go to Brisvegas, Mould Coast, Sydaknee n GeeWhizz as they each have their own grounds that they have exclusive access to but these grounds reasonably conform to regular size n shape unlike Krapdinia.

Next on the list would be the two W.A. and S.A. groups as they share their " home " grounds between them and I doubt they actually have much training access to the grounds.

Last on the list would be Hawforn n #Lolnorf for their special arrangements playing in Taswegieland.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
Really, the best way to respond to this hatred is to laugh in it's face. If they manage to trigger us every week we'll eventually lose it.

Sure, after 37 years of pain and suffering we're all a bit insecure, but *smile* it, enjoy this time we have in it's entirety, it's not going to last forever. Take our queue from our 2017 Premiership team photo. Massive smiles and enjoying every moment of it.

MackTiger

Yellow and Black
Jul 14, 2003
Everybody outside of Richmond hates Richmond.

Our supporters are also getting baited too easily on socials responding to click bait and just plain and stupid commentary from others trying to get a bite.

The fact that Brooke Cotchin gets a run on the news website this morning over alledged allocations against a former high profile Collingwood member is absolutely ridiculous.

We must be better, we are under attack.

Players, coaches, officials all under the microscope - for anything and everything.

Even if not at fault, we come under the firing squad.

The fact that the AFL CEO had to weigh in re DR/SB last week was disgusting.

We have been a joke for decades and with all our success out comes the critics, its 17 clubs against 1.

Get off the socials, stay away from the news, forget what everyone else says, just watch our club each week and enjoy the ride to a 4th flag in 5 years.

Increase the peace.

Reactions: 4 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
There was a caller to SEN yesterday who listed various stats on the tigers and their playing schedule with reference to other sides. It pointed out the sheer stupidity of the likes of Cornes carrying on about our favourable draw. It is an open and shut case. We are being disadvantaged in comparison to every other side with reference to home ground advantage.

Is there anywhere I can find these stats? I'd love to use this data to shove down the throats of all the Richmond haters on social media.

Wonder what a reasonable definition of a home game would be?

Would it have something to do with being a ground that is exclusively played at on a regular basis by the one team against varying opponents each time?

Richmond haters look at it from how many times we play at the MCG. But from a Richmond members point of view, we only get home ground rights at the MCG for 10 games. That’s less than Port Adelaide at Adelaide Oval, Adelaide at Adelaide Oval, Sydney at the SCG, Brisbane at the Gabba, Gold Coast at Metricon, West Coast at Optus, Freo at Optus, and Collingwood at the MCG

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Imagine with Port of Adelaide had to play a home game at another ground.
There would be tears flowing down the street by Cornhole

Giardiasis

Tiger Legend
Apr 20, 2009
Brisbane
yeah I believe the AFL gets the revenue from all finals games.
Yeah so the argument (I think made by GW) that if Richmond argue we should get 11 home games at the MCG then Geelong should be able to play us at KP during finals doesn't quite stack up. Geelong want to play us at the G during the regular season for the gate revenue but because they don't benefit from that during finals they prefer KP.

Reactions: 1 user

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
If you went through the other club fixture wish lists I think you'd find two things on all 17 of them.

1. Play Richmond at home and 2. play at the MCG as much as we can.

When you have away games against Melbourne clubs at the MCG, you have to play interstate teams at home to make up your quota. You'll go interstate less and when you do you are more likely to play Port, GWS, Gold Coast or Freo than Adelaide or West Coast.

It's just a fact of the economic reality of a lopsided fixture, although I bet a check back through the archives would reveal we weren't as understanding 10 years ago when Collingwood was in our seat. ;)
Yes, the interstate clubs commonly complain about not getting enough MCG experience before the finals.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
to me, the amount of away games we play at the MCG is irrelevant. it’s not our fault other MCG tenants wanna play home games against us. It should not be part of this debate. Richmond members do not get any rights at away games. We cannot sit in our regular reserved seat and we have to pay full price for tickets. The only team that gets to sit in their reserved seat for away games at the MCG is Collingwood.

What the Richmond critics don't acknowledge is that we do not get the same home ground rights at Marvel as we do at the MCG. eg. at the MCG I sit L1 goals (next to the cheer squad). For me to sit in a comparable seat last Saturday night, I had to pay an extra $10. And some members had to pay as much as $33 on top of their membership.

Yep, as a Roaming Tiger Home and Away member I bought a $33 ticket to Marvel because otherwise I would be up in the clouds whereas a home game at the MCG would mean I book a ticket on Level 1 near the cheer squad for $0.

I think reserved seat and reserved bay members need to get allocated seats comparable to their usual seats at the MCG if we have to play a home game at Chernobyl.

As for the Geelong whinging - who asked for their home game against us to be at the MCG? You can't argue for a home game at the MCG and then ask for a final out in the country.

DS

Jonesracing82

Tiger Champion
Sep 30, 2011
Karne Kornes of course ignores the Port v Rich fixture. 34 games, 23 in SA & 9 of the last 11 in SA....

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Yep, as a Roaming Tiger Home and Away member I bought a $33 ticket to Marvel because otherwise I would be up in the clouds whereas a home game at the MCG would mean I book a ticket on Level 1 near the cheer squad for $0.
I refused to pay extra and the experience suffered accordingly (St.Kilda game), with the end result being that I elected not to go to the Giants game. Nothing to do with Marvel itself; the current ticketing arrangements just don't suit.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I refused to pay extra and the experience suffered accordingly (St.Kilda game), with the end result being that I elected not to go to the Giants game. Nothing to do with Marvel itself; the current ticketing arrangements just don't suit.

I think this is the crux of the low crowds - the ticketing where you can't just turn up and walk in. Plus, if you do go for a general admission seat now you get a seat in the clouds while there are available seats on Level 1. You need to be able to walk in with an 11 game membership and either get a better seat or be allowed in standing room.

The AFL really need to get this fixed.

DS

Reactions: 3 users