Trade period 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade period 2021

btoz_01

Tiger Legend
Apr 5, 2004
General they can pay 105% bulkshiit off the cap.
Carlton and Gc have done it.
If we give up pick 15, 100% that would involve Hawthorn paying him the majority of his pay.
And they can offer 3 yrs.
Omeara only has 2 left.
Spread it over 3 yrs with Sam Mitchell paying the majority of it.
Seriously they need to start showing the players wagers.
We have lost 3 premiership players and got rid of many more and we have a full cap.
Jack, Edwards and lynch shouldve taken less to help in this drive of 4 in 6.
No first round picks for Omeara or Mitchell don’t care how much of contract the Dawks pay

Reactions: 5 users

tha8ball

Tiger Legend
Jan 6, 2005
Oh East Melbourne!
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with Zips.

I may need to check if I need a lobotomy
Hahaha same here. I think it’s a no brainer to be honest. Our midfield couldn’t stand up last season. We have 1 possibly 2 years left to challenge whilst we still have the best finals player of all time running around.

can live with giving up pick 15 in our current situation. 3 picks including #7 and the addition of an Omeara/Mitchell and Tarrant is an outstanding offseason giving us every chance next year yet still keeping an eye on the future.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
General they can pay 105% bulkshiit off the cap.
Carlton and Gc have done it.
Not sure about the salary cap rules now. Clubs were allowed to pay over the cap, but they had to have been under the cap for 2 or 3 of the previous seasons.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Not sure about the salary cap rules now. Clubs were allowed to pay over the cap, but they had to have been under the cap for 2 or 3 of the previous seasons.
Thats the issue with the salary cap.
The public dont know the wages of the players and what's the cap set at.
If this was made public, it would cut out alot the guessing

Teckor

Tiger Rookie
Nov 7, 2007
On the salary cap - I think the rule is that clubs can go over the salary cap in one year provided that they were under the salary cap for the previous 2 years. So in Carlton's situation they have basically been under for 20, 21 and 'banked' room for next year.

Also on Richmond's salary cap I think players salaries were cut harder than some clubs due to the covid salary cap reductions for this year but a percentage of those cuts were agreed to be added back for next year. A few other teams did the same. So therefore have tight cap space next year.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne

pretty sure you have to average 100% over 3 years without going over 105%. so if you're at 98% in year 1 and 2, you can go as high as 104% in year 3.

Reactions: 1 users

Teckor

Tiger Rookie
Nov 7, 2007
pretty sure you have to average 100% over 3 years without going over 105%. so if you're at 98% in year 1 and 2, you can go as high as 104% in year 3.
I think it changed so that clubs need to be under for 2 years and then can be over in the 3rd.

Cooper O'Reilly

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 5, 2021
Thats the issue with the salary cap.
The public dont know the wages of the players and what's the cap set at.
If this was made public, it would cut out alot the guessing
Nobody in the AFL, most of all the players want the public to know anything about their salaries. Never going to happen

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
We shouldn't go for Mitchell or any of the Dorks' cast-offs. Failed strategy which they have now realised and thus are desperately trying to get into this draft and grab more quality kids to assist a rebuild with Day and GB. Might have liked Jeager some years back but injuries have curtailed his brilliance I think.

As already posted by someone - if the likes of Mitchell have not made Hathorn better (a contender), what makes you think he would do for us?

Fair point Leon, but Nank didn't make Sydney a contender, Prestia and Lynch didn't make the Suns a contender either. They worked out ok.

On Mitchell, if the brains trust want him at Richmond happy to go with it, what do I know anyway.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
I can't believe I'm saying this, but I actually agree with Zips.

I may need to check if I need a lobotomy

King Kong makes some good posts in the pre-season too, just seems to lose his sh1t in the season proper. We want more pre-season King K and less game day Kongers.

• Love
  • Haha

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
If we make a play for TM then that is a huge indictment on RCD, Ross, Dow and Martyn.

Last edited:

WesternTiger

Tiger Legend
Nov 7, 2004
That's bordering on bad management if true. Full of aging or injury prone players.
You think? Obviously haven't included the Covid in your equation. We've come off three premierships. We aint got a lot of cap space. I don't think that will surprise anyone. You want bad management look at Collingwood and Sydney.

Reactions: 9 users

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Fair point Leon, but Nank didn't make Sydney a contender, Prestia and Lynch didn't make the Suns a contender either. They worked out ok.

On Mitchell, if the brains trust want him at Richmond happy to go with it, what do I know anyway.
Yes but those players injected into the Richmond side certainly did make us contenders to the tune of ultimately 3 flags. So it's the nature of the side and where it's at on the premiership clock, what players are required and the crucial contribution they could make - all quite transparent with Nank, Prestia and Lynch.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion - you or me included - and for me, although Mitchell might collect a lot of possessions, I greatly prefer a player who has far more hurt factor with his disposal. I'd rather encourage our young mids to develop into the best players they can be through greater opportunities now as Cotch, Edwards, Riewoldt show clear signs of aging, and perhaps Prestia/Martin/Lynch also diminish in potency due to injury setbacks.
I really doubt the addition of TM will make such an impact to compensate. We need to plan ahead for the decline and loss of our champion players now rather than throw away vital early draft picks for an accomplished player but one with their prime years behind them.

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
Yes but those players injected into the Richmond side certainly did make us contenders to the tune of ultimately 3 flags. So it's the nature of the side and where it's at on the premiership clock, what players are required and the crucial contribution they could make - all quite transparent with Nank, Prestia and Lynch.
Everyone is entitled to their opinion - you or me included - and for me, although Mitchell might collect a lot of possessions, I greatly prefer a player who has far more hurt factor with his disposal. I'd rather encourage our young mids to develop into the best players they can be through greater opportunities now as Cotch, Edwards, Riewoldt show clear signs of aging, and perhaps Prestia/Martin/Lynch also diminish in potency due to injury setbacks.
I really doubt the addition of TM will make such an impact to compensate. We need to plan ahead for the decline and loss of our champion players now rather than throw away vital early draft picks for an accomplished player but one with their prime years behind them.

Yes, it's what he adds to the mix that makes him valuable or not. I see him much as you do, an accumulator with little hurt factor BUT if he's feeding it out to Dusty and Bolton then I can see a role.

I tend to agree our window is over, but if we have one more roll of the dice next year I'm fine with that.

leon

Tiger Legend
Apr 6, 2014
Why did Prestia make GC better?
How many games did they win?
Thats stupid..he has won 3 B&Fs and gets the ball 1000 times when he plays.
He might not be good to watch but he is good at getting the ball.
Thats exactly the player we need
Yer, he's a good ball-winner, gets the ball a heap but mostly disposes by handballs. Avergae kick, lacking penetration, little hurt factor. Seldom goals. Prefer more dangerous mids myself. Would love to be able to pinch someone like Finn Callaghan from this draft if we could weave some magic/luck. But, if not him, the best young mids available.
We need to have one eye on our build for the future along with another finals campaign in '22; so not throw away our best draft hand for a decade on TM whom the Dorks will want at least 1 x 1st rounder for, and more picks.

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013

I tend to agree his hurt factor is lower than others, however we know we struggled to control territory in 2021 and a lot of that was down to clearances. How many times did we see teams constantly beat us at clearance and push the ball forward where we needed to start scoring chains from the back half.

Bringing players in, isn't purely on what they themselves provide as an individual but what they provide as the team. Improving at clearances is a massive issue for us and either Mitchell or JOM will improve us there, which should in turn allow us to control territory much better.

I think I saw a graphic somewhere that showed our turnover game. We still turned the ball over as much as we have in previous years, but we did it much further from goal so a lot closer to our D50. I'd much rather we were turning the ball over much closer to goal in order for us to hurt teams, and to do that we need to control territory much better than we did in 2021. Clearances is the start of that which is where either Mitchell of JOM would have a huge impact, far more than whoever we would pikc at Pick 15. Sure this would be a partial sacrifice of the future, but we all know that if we have our players on the park we are still 1 of the best teams in the comp, and we should therefore push for a flag once more. It would only be 1 pick, we would continue to draft high quality players with the other, so its 1 pick at 15 (17) that we would sacrifice, for giving us the tools to get back to what we do best and thats a forward half turnover team, where we became a back half turnover team during 2021 through our inability to control territory.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Another, slightly lateral, way to look at pick 15 is to compare its worth in cold, hard facts.

Max Holmes vs Jaeger O'Meara.

That's essentially what we'd be paying for JOM, in a left-field kind of way.

Now, Holmes looks OK. And he managed to get games as a young player at Geelong. No mean feat. But did anyone see anything in 2021 to suggest 10 years of Holmes will offer more than 5 years of O'Meara?

I didn't.