Trade period 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade period 2021

You call retaining Reiwoldt, Cotchin, Martin and signing Prestia and Lynch to longer term contracts so we can get them to join bad management?

Guess we should hand back those three premierships.
You said we got no money. We have huge holes in our list for next year and the next 5 years going forward.

Sneer all you like, but I focus on the future.

You think? Obviously haven't included the Covid in your equation. We've come off three premierships. We aint got a lot of cap space. I don't think that will surprise anyone. You want bad management look at Collingwood and Sydney.
What is to say we don't drop off completely next year? Cotchin and Prestia have been injured more often than not for the past two years and Edwards is borderline in that group. Now down a ruckman and forward.

Collingwood is collosal *smile* management. We aren't in that boat.

Reactions: 1 users
Holmes benefited from less games played. If he had a full year he would not have gone that high.

That's bordering on bad management if true. Full of aging or injury prone players.
I think it needs to be remembered that the salary cap was reduced as was the list size and none of that would have been known when contracts were negotiated for many players.
It is the main reason why there are so few clubs with cap capacity

Reactions: 5 users
What is to say we don't drop off completely next year? Cotchin and Prestia have been injured more often than not for the past two years and Edwards is borderline in that group. Now down a ruckman and forward.

Collingwood is collosal *smile* management. We aren't in that boat.
I agree, I think we'll have at least a couple of lean years ahead. Too many of our prime movers are old and injury prone. It's inwvitable really. Can't be at the top forever.

Reactions: 1 user
The above debate just shows how damned hard this is.

Do we get an older player to shore up our centre weaknesses, do we hope that the youth come through after a lack of genuine game time for the last 2 years, do we stock up on youngsters in the draft in the hope we pick up a couple of gems?

What is the situation with our salary cap and how does that limit what we can do?

More questions than answers.

Shows how hard it is to build a premiership team and how hard it is to recover once you have won one or more flags and the premiership players retire.

Another factor is how an experienced player can mentor the youth coming through so it is not just how well the imported player performs on field, but also some off field value too.

I have not favoured bringing in older players, I reckon there could be a couple of decent players amongst our younger brigade. RCD has potential, with a normal pre-season and hopefully VFL games and AFL games he could get a lot better. Ross I don't have much faith in . . . except he did have that injury and if that wasn't properly recovered he, too, could improve. Dow shows some signs. Ralphsmith shows signs. Ryan was put in an AFL game too early and I reckon could be very good. Cumberland has clear potential.

Bound to have forgotten a couple.

But a player like O'Meara or Mitchell could be the difference in 2022, even if they don't get the clearance they can prevent opposition clearances or just make the opposition clearances more pressured and less effective.

I'm relaxed either way as I figure the club know more about what will help than I do, but these choices are not easy and success is elusive.

DS
Well said DS.
As I listened to Balmy I was left with the impression we were not in the hunt because of TPP difficulty.
Remembering that we still have to sign Stacky and maybe 1 or 2 more… it seems that is where we will finish.
Great speaker for us.
Maybe next year is seen as likely the better free agency opportunity.

I’m not convinced we’ll fall of the perch, there may be a few past their elite best , however if they stay sound they are still bloody good . We should have the best Ruck combo back together and we have a stack of kids who may just improve . The 2 biggest factors for me though are, 1 Lynch a fit Tommy totally changes that forward 50 and I turn how we can move the footy out of the back half and number 2 , we still have Dusty and I think Dusty may just have a point to prove to the footy world in 2022

Reactions: 3 users
We did not have much of a Pre-Season 2021 we had injuries all year and we just missed finals.

We will bounce back and will challenge if we have a full squad.

we can easily improve 10% on last year and that puts us into the top 4. from there who knows.

The Hawks going with the Scorched Earth Policy Rebuild.

Otherwise referred to as the Collingwood List Manager Screw up Policy or the Franco Cozzo Grand Sale Policy !!

F1C04B38-F5C8-458E-A66B-6FCD668A0892.jpeg

Reactions: 1 users
I’m not convinced we’ll fall of the perch, there may be a few past their elite best , however if they stay sound they are still bloody good . We should have the best Ruck combo back together and we have a stack of kids who may just improve . The 2 biggest factors for me though are, 1 Lynch a fit Tommy totally changes that forward 50 and I turn how we can move the footy out of the back half and number 2 , we still have Dusty and I think Dusty may just have a point to prove to the footy world in 2022
Think we fell off the perch this year. 1st to 12th is some drop.

• Wow
Reactions: 4 users
Have missed a few pages. crazy work day

1. Have Freo 'caved in' yet and offered Pick 19 to the Cats?
2. What about the Bombers? Has Collingwood's "interest" for Hill helped push along a Bombers offer that was better than 2 picks in the 50s.
3. Let me guess, Geelong got 31 year old Ceglar for scraps - yet somehow managed to get a 2nd rounder for 28 year old Fort?
4. Anyone up for the Hawks firesale yet?

And finally, are the Swans still trying to get Pick 4 for Dawson.

How funny are some clubs.

You call retaining Reiwoldt, Cotchin, Martin and signing Prestia and Lynch to longer term contracts so we can get them to join bad management?

Guess we should hand back those three premierships.
I think Balmey put it really well. Essentially what he was saying is that we won 3 flags and the players deserve to be paid well, they won us the flags !! Why would we expect for us to be in any other position than paying to the cap?

Reactions: 7 users
New Geelong CEO Steve Hocking is talking tough on the Dockers protracted efforts to secure a trade for Jordan Clark “if they want him, then they need to cough up.”
@9NewsMelb