Trade period 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade period 2021

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Officially the most boring trade period ever.

The AFL and the AFL players association has a lot to answer for - they've stacked the odds in the players favor too much and screwed the clubs over.

Clubs have to be given the right to trade contracted players on the proviso that the contract terms are met by the new club.

Reactions: 1 users

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Surely the minimum salary cap spend is what limits movement. How can north Melbourne and the suns pay 95% to their list and Richmond and Melbourne and Geelong pay 100% to theirs and then expect movement?

If north were paying 80% as they should be given they have almost completely offloaded their senior players then they could make some real plays on unrestricted players with salary.

I’m not arguing for this as think would hurt us way mOre than it helps us but just my observation as it forces you to overpay when you are low on the ladder consuming your ability to then make a play.

Reactions: 5 users

Ian4

BIN MAN!
May 6, 2004
Melbourne
Clubs have to be given the right to trade contracted players on the proviso that the contract terms are met by the new club.

Dimma suggested a few years ago that unrestricted free agency should kick in after 7 years. the trade-off is that clubs should be able to trade players to wherever they want up until that time. I don’t think that’s unreasonable at all.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
Surely the minimum salary cap spend is what limits movement. How can north Melbourne and the suns pay 95% to their list and Richmond and Melbourne and Geelong pay 100% to theirs and then expect movement?

If north were paying 80% as they should be given they have almost completely offloaded their senior players then they could make some real plays on unrestricted players with salary.

I’m not arguing for this as think would hurt us way mOre than it helps us but just my observation as it forces you to overpay when you are low on the ladder consuming your ability to then make a play.
Agree - that doesn't help. But its a non-issue if clubs can trade contracted players.

For example we could trade out Caddy at $400k to bring in Mitchell at $500k with the Hawks paying some of his $

You'd see trading explode in this situation

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Officially the most boring trade period ever.

The AFL and the AFL players association has a lot to answer for - they've stacked the odds in the players favor too much and screwed the clubs over.

They have ruined it with the addition of trading picks.
Force clubs to swap player's not picks.
The only time a club should be able to swap picks is the day of the national draft.
Its an utter farce.
Lets see tonight, how excited David king and John Ralph are on 10 days of utter garbage.
A waste of supporters time and energy.
Quick question, why is the draft Nov 24?
It should be tomorrow

Reactions: 1 user

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
They have ruined it with the addition of trading picks.
Force clubs to swap player's not picks.
The only time a club should be able to swap picks is the day of the national draft.
Its an utter farce.
Lets see tonight, how excited David king and John Ralph are on 10 days of utter garbage.
A waste of supporters time and energy.
It should be tomorrow

The AFL wants to have footy in front of the fans for 12 months of the year. They don't like the "off season" break. I think they're scared of other sports taking over.

Reactions: 2 users

artball

labels are for canned food
Jul 30, 2013
It should be tomorrow
I had no idea when the draft was...
why wait another 5 weeks when the clubs and draftees could be getting acquainted?

Brodders17

Tiger Legend
Mar 21, 2008
Dimma suggested a few years ago that unrestricted free agency should kick in after 7 years. the trade-off is that clubs should be able to trade players to wherever they want up until that time. I don’t think that’s unreasonable at all.
there may be merit in being able to trade guys earning over a certain amount, but i dont think it is fair to be able to trade players earning under $200k to another state. factor in that many players study outside of football.

while AFL players are well paid, guys in the states get paid $millions to be shifted around the country. it is a totally different reality.

perhaps there is scope when players asked to be traded to a particular state, that they can then be traded to any team in that state.

Tiger Pops

Tiger Champion
Apr 22, 2008
Melbourne
one of the dullest trade periods ever. Usually one or two - wow did not see that happening last min deals, cant see that this year. We are getting excited over pick swaps for gods sake. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Roll on the draft in 5 weeks time.

Tony Braxton-Hicks

There are no stupid ideas, just stupid people
Aug 10, 2004
The Playboy Mansion
one of the dullest trade periods ever. Usually one or two - wow did not see that happening last min deals, cant see that this year. We are getting excited over pick swaps for gods sake. zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz. Roll on the draft in 5 weeks time.
I'll be excited if we can trade 38 and 40 into 23 or 27, or into the second round next year. We need to string some strong drafts together to start the next dynasty.

bullus_hit

Whatchu talkin about Jack?
Apr 3, 2006
I'll be excited if we can trade 38 and 40 into 23 or 27, or into the second round next year. We need to string some strong drafts together to start the next dynasty.
23 handy as it gives us a realistic chance of nabbing DVR, I'd probably go something like this

7. Johnson
15. Goater
23. Van Rooyen
26. Roberts/Butler/Taylor
28. Roberts/Butler/Taylor

Reactions: 3 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
From Cal Twomey.

Just like their interest in Chad Wingard, Greater Western Sydney has explored interest in Luke Breust over the last day. Would similarly have been willing to use pick 13 in a deal, but like Wingard, Breust has been reluctant to move from Hawks. More on
@traderadio

@AFLcomau

Honestly, Pick 13 for someone who is a good player but is about to turn 31.

Saladin

Better to fight for something than live for nothin
Oct 1, 2003
From Cal Twomey.

Just like their interest in Chad Wingard, Greater Western Sydney has explored interest in Luke Breust over the last day. Would similarly have been willing to use pick 13 in a deal, but like Wingard, Breust has been reluctant to move from Hawks. More on
@traderadio

@AFLcomau

Player said no, to be expected...have to offer big $$$ to get him out...probs only has 2 seasons left...

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
From Cal Twomey.

@traderadio

@AFLcomau

Pick 13 for Bruest - lol. GWS have lost it.

We should target Brent Daniels

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Come on pick 27 is the best
Ive heard pick 27 is better then pick 28 and pick 43.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
As I understand it picks can be traded up to and including the day of the draft so there is no need for any concern about that.
Is that correct ?