Trade period 2021 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trade period 2021

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
SOS kept recruiting GWS off cuts to Carlton.
He did a great job & I’m just sorry he’s not still there. :LOL:
He tried to convince the world the they were good enough so he kept on filling up Carlton with duds.
Kristian Jaksch, Jed Lamb, liam Summer, Lachie Plowman, Caleb Marchbank, Jarrod Pickett, Rhys Palmer, Mathew Kennedy,
Thats 4 years worth of trading.

Reactions: 1 user

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
People say that but the Gold Coast had a fair crack at it as well and got nowhere.

I'm the first to say drafting is more good luck than good management, but Silvagni deserves enormous credit for refusing to buckle to AFL pressure to use picks to trade in established players from other clubs.

He refused to sell the farm on a marquee signing and instead took young leaders, high draft picks and veterans with a coaching instinct and just built so many high picks there had to be enough talent to come through.

In the early days when they were belted he was questioned but there's no doubt now he nailed the strategy and I'll bet the Tassie franchise will run his playbook to the letter.
Don't disagree with that. He did have some busts with early picks for sure but they had plenty left to build a good list and team.
Despite all the high draft picks their better teams still had some lesser lights in them which to me just shows that draft position is not the only factor. Time after time we see clubs with high draft picks littered through their list not performing, Carlton is the best example of that and even Melbourne before this year. Drafting without strong player development means little which is also why drafting for character and leadership is very important.
On Silvagni and GWS, despite all the high draft picks they have never been able to draft and develop a good ruckman. Pretty amazing really

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
They need to rejig the PSD.
They should have a lotto draw after the draft for the PSD. Might stop some clubs from getting these players for free.
After the draft clubs can nominate to enter the PSD if they have a spot left on their list.
Put them into a barrel and pull them out one by one and go by that order.

Reactions: 4 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I dont think 6 is on the table to be split Dell. Freo on public record saying no deal w/out 6.

Carlton know this too. I think from what is being said/written in the media (the better media), its just quibbling now re later picks (ie, 25 for 27, 3rd or 4th R swaps).

Geelong wont accept either the 25 or 27. So, will be interesting to see if Freo try and split Pick 8 (their own 1st rounder).

There could be an option with the Blues and Freo for us I agree.

The Blues clearly don't want to give 6 and 25 for Cerra without getting something back. Maybe we can help. If we get Pick 40 for CJ, that give us 4 3rd rounders. Thinking we give 2 of them plus 28 to the Dogs for 17 and then we have the remaining 2 we could give to Carlton plus maybe a future 4th back to us (we could also do a similar deal with the Saints but would be for a 2022 2nd as opposed to a 2021 one).

Carlton could then trade 6 and 1 of the 3rds to Freo for cerra and keep the other 3rd themselves.

Agree on Clark with Geelong also, if we can't get higher (2 or 3) then maybe we look at add Pick 6 or 8 and swap 15 and 17 (we would need something else back too). I'm not sure whether we do this or not, with the draft so even, it may simply to come down to list spots, if we have them we keep the 2 picks, if we don't then we trade up for 1st choice of those prospects.

Reactions: 2 users

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Dunstan to the dees? Geez not sure why he would be keen on that move. Will be behind a fair few. Dees just bolster their midfield depth.
The only reason Dunstan is today's news because he had a good month of footy. Pity he couldn't hit the side of a barn with 80% of his possessions.
This is Big Richo's influence.
The big Assistant coach that took Melbourne to the promise land.

FitenFitenWin

Listen to the thunder RFC
Jul 30, 2009
Brisbane
If we stack our first 22 with the most senior players we have 9 young players which need significant game time (Ralpho, RCD, Ross, Dow, Martyn, Stack, Soldo, Mansell and Cumberland) and 4 which we need to get at least a few games into (Miller, Nyuon, Mujo, Ryan). Logistically - it's just not possible.

The rest are just depth players and are to be used on an as-needs only basis – or not at all (Caddy, Aarts, E-Smith and Garthwaite). If we take another 4/5 young players – there is no possible way we are going to get sufficient games into all of them over the next 2-3 years for them to be able to take the reins and maintain our competitive position.

Also -we have plenty of youngsters picked in the late first and second rounds – we don’t need more - we need to get more games into the ones we have! We need to trade picks up into the top 3-4 picks or trade them for a seriously good player. Is it Mitchell? Hope not. But I hope something comes up between now and the end of the trade / draft periods – either a vastly better draft position or a significantly good mid in their prime.

BiddiscombeSkills

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 2, 2005
Question for the students of the game - is it better to hang onto youngsters who have shown 'glimpses' for an extra year or so, or is there merit in the argument that the genuinely good players demand a senior position early in their careers, and that you're better off cutting average performers early and bringing more fresh talent through the door to improve your chances of unearthing a quality player?

Obviously it's not going to be as simple as that - a 17/18 year old with an immature physique will always struggle to compete with someone who has spent more time in the system building strength, endurance, and skills. That being said, there are plenty of players who get stronger and build a tank, but don't go on to be anything special.

There's also the argument that KPPs take longer to develop, but again, when you take off the rose coloured glasses and look at it objectively, it's almost always pretty obvious who's going to make it and who isn't.

To put it another way, how many players are out there getting regular senior games in good sides, that didn't look the goods pretty much straight from being recruited? I reckon they're the exception rather than the rule.

Do we hold onto our youngsters too long?

Reactions: 1 users

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
There could be an option with the Blues and Freo for us I agree.

The Blues clearly don't want to give 6 and 25 for Cerra without getting something back. Maybe we can help. If we get Pick 40 for CJ, that give us 4 3rd rounders. Thinking we give 2 of them plus 28 to the Dogs for 17 and then we have the remaining 2 we could give to Carlton plus maybe a future 4th back to us (we could also do a similar deal with the Saints but would be for a 2022 2nd as opposed to a 2021 one).

Carlton could then trade 6 and 1 of the 3rds to Freo for cerra and keep the other 3rd themselves.

Agree on Clark with Geelong also, if we can't get higher (2 or 3) then maybe we look at add Pick 6 or 8 and swap 15 and 17 (we would need something else back too). I'm not sure whether we do this or not, with the draft so even, it may simply to come down to list spots, if we have them we keep the 2 picks, if we don't then we trade up for 1st choice of those prospects.
Thx Posh. Honestly your knowledge of the numbers/swap scenarios is amazing.
Gives me a headache - well done.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Question for the students of the game - is it better to hang onto youngsters who have shown 'glimpses' for an extra year or so, or is there merit in the argument that the genuinely good players demand a senior position early in their careers, and that you're better off cutting average performers early and bringing more fresh talent through the door to improve your chances of unearthing a quality player?

Obviously it's not going to be as simple as that - a 17/18 year old with an immature physique will always struggle to compete with someone who has spent more time in the system building strength, endurance, and skills. That being said, there are plenty of players who get stronger and build a tank, but don't go on to be anything special.

There's also the argument that KPPs take longer to develop, but again, when you take off the rose coloured glasses and look at it objectively, it's almost always pretty obvious who's going to make it and who isn't.

To put it another way, how many players are out there getting regular senior games in good sides, that didn't look the goods pretty much straight from being recruited? I reckon they're the exception rather than the rule.

Do we hold onto our youngsters too long?
Good post. Seeing we have heaps of draft picks do we cut deeper into our list which will include some of the younger kids (contract permitting).

This is where list managers earn their keep - identifying early who will make the grade and replenishing through the draft.

Gotta know when to held em, know when to fold em

bob

Tiger Superstar
Mar 18, 2014
I don't get the Tyson Stengle love.
He will be perfect on that narrow, pissy little ground the Cats play. Together with that dipstick Miers, they'll be lauded as the best small forwards all year. Can you believe we will have to listen to how Betts is the Assistant Coach of the year for his work at Geelong (love Betts but Geelong what's he thinking).

Until Stengle and crying mieers play at Optus or MCG - will go missing again.

Reactions: 1 user

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
brilliant - the cats need another slow player. They just don't get it a cat park.

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
Port signed up Finlayson
Gws couldnt get him out quick enough.
Seriously are port Taking the *smile*?

Aegean Tiger

Tiger Superstar
Aug 27, 2008
Trade period is just so so tedious for us supporters. How mind numbing is the media analysis when so little is happening.