Training For 2023 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training For 2023

If we go the three talls he might be even more likely, and Cumbo could miss out.
If we do that its a bad sign. You don't drop goalkickers cause they don't tackle to play forwards who don't kick goals but tackle.

Reactions: 5 users
While i wouldnt sign his delisting letter just yet, i would be amazed if Mansell is anywhere near our best 23, regardless of any perceived flexibility.
He probably isn't but with our injury position, we're not picking our best 23, we're probably picking from our best 30 with some risks on underdone players so need the flexibility on the sub bench

Reactions: 1 user
I think Seth Campbell is better than his position in the draft would suggest. I have watched bit of Seth and Lachie Cowan from Carlton and I think they both should have gone a bit higher than they did. It doesn't really matter I suppose now they are in the system but I reckon they will both have good AFL careers.

Reactions: 11 users
I can't see the sense in letting go players like Butler, Higgins, Stengle & Castagna & then ushering in a new era of experimentation. This season was meant to be the locked & loaded year, we've got a first rounder on the line, all I'm getting is deckchair vibes.
Stengel didn’t want to stay as he wasn’t getting a game , we offered him a contract , butler didn’t get a game , not fussed with him, I rate higgo more than most , but we got fair compo , was it sonz or banks we got for that selection

Stengel didn’t want to stay as he wasn’t getting a game , we offered him a contract , butler didn’t get a game , not fussed with him, I rate higgo more than most , but we got fair compo , was it sonz or banks we got for that selection
I think it was Banks, all of the above left due to lack of gametime, that's ok but Mansell is a vastly inferior player to those 4, thank crikey for MRJ, at least we have one quality small forward. I guess this makes Seth Campbell a much needed addition, I really think we are clutching at straws trying to make Mansell a forward, especially this year when the stakes are so high.

Reactions: 1 users
I think it was Banks, all of the above left due to lack of gametime, that's ok but Mansell is a vastly inferior player to those 4, thank crikey for MRJ, at least we have one quality small forward. I guess this makes Seth Campbell a much needed addition, I really think we are clutching at straws trying to make Mansell a forward, especially this year when the stakes are so high.
What posi did he play in the NM match

The worrying thing about this Mansell venture to the fwd line if true is that our coaching team still doesnt know how they want to setup with a week to go. This should have been sorted so you practice it all pre season not chop and change before the season starts. Have a feeling the coaches have no idea how they are going to use the new additions in the midfield, the Cotch and Martin fwd experiment etc. Have a feeling we will be playing catch up again this year.

The worrying thing about this Mansell venture to the fwd line if true is that our coaching team still doesnt know how they want to setup with a week to go. This should have been sorted so you practice it all pre season not chop and change before the season starts. Have a feeling the coaches have no idea how they are going to use the new additions in the midfield, the Cotch and Martin fwd experiment etc. Have a feeling we will be playing catch up again this year.
Probably the same concerns they had in 2017 with their set up when they didn’t know what to do with Townsend

• Love
Got a horrible feeling we may use Mansell as a defensive forward. I hope not. Maurice is far superior and I don’t think there is any room left down there.

Got a horrible feeling we may use Mansell as a defensive forward. I hope not. Maurice is far superior and I don’t think there is any room left down there.
If we’re playing Mansell forward we’re looking for the next George or FAarts
Mansell only position is in the backline as HB or BP but those positions are already filled

Probably the same concerns they had in 2017 with their set up when they didn’t know what to do with Townsend
Lets hope.

I actually think Mansell as a pressure fwd is not a bad option. Id say he is the perfect George chaos replacement with a touch better skills.

Reactions: 2 users
Mansell isn’t quick like George, Butts and D. Rioli. Good endurance, good defensively playing down back in a structured system and role, but not sharp. How does that translate playing as a high pressure small forward ? Can he run guys down like those 3 used to ?

Last edited:
We will but I'm decidedly uneasy, at the moment it's hard to see us bettering our 2022 finish, god forbid this doesn't turn out to be a repeat of 2021.
It’s just preseason jitters. Every year we get them.

I think they might have a fair idea fella,you’d think we’ve just come off a 3w season reading that comment

Hadn't seen him before.
Certainly Tylar's highlights are impressive.
Has a great capacity to anticipate ball movement.
Caddy used to be so imposing on a HFF, kicked our first goal in the 2017 GF, always used to intimidate Geelong in finals.
It will be interesting to see how the flanks are structured.

Last edited:
If we do that its a bad sign. You don't drop goalkickers cause they don't tackle to play forwards who don't kick goals but tackle.
We could be reading too much into who did or didn't wear their training top inside-out, Scooper. But if Mansell plays it's because Dimma is as concerned about our lack of defensive pressure as many here. (What did Mini say? Melbourne kicked a world record 28 goals rebounding from our F50? A lot, anyway. Too many.) But if Dimma is that concerned he probably won't play three tall forwards. (Side note though: your point could have been used to argue Sammy Lloyd should have been in ahead of George in 2017 - I reckon plenty did. George had two career goals in five games coming into that year before playing every game and kicking 26 goals. Mansell has one goal from 15 games but has played in defence.)

Mansell was pretty good with what he did v Norfs. But it was only Norfs.

Cumbo might be competing with Cotch. Or he might be injured given he didn't train. Or Cotch might play midfield off the bench given we'll likely be without Ross, Short, Sonz, maybe Graham and possibly Pickett.

Interesting times.

Things feel shakey in the forward half already.

We thought we had the WMD‘s but we are getting out worked, we can’t launch anything.