Training for DRAFT PICKS!!!! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Training for DRAFT PICKS!!!!

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I've heard the coaches are happy with Cumberland. Be interested to hear his progress even though he is in rehab.

By the sounds of things, our 2019 draftees are aquitting themselves very well.

Would it be too stonkified if a bunch of no names became the next bunch of premiership role players?

Imagine the melts...

There would be massive melts if we add Cumberland and Martyn into a future premiership team before Brisbane get one. Would be so funny watching them pass up on 2 players that then become premiership players before any of them. We'd in full on microwave your Brisbane membership melts I reckon.

Reactions: 6 users

Greenie

Tiger Rookie
Mar 15, 2014
Forgive me PRE for I have sinned, it has been 11 days and three training sessions since my last report. I were waiting for the return of the prodigal son, (JNR), and his cuz to return but alas they were given more time to support their family up North.

Just on Daniel and JNR, they have basically had 20 days away from the club so will be interesting to see what shape they come back in, no doubt they have trained together up there but would be hard to replicate the intensity and volume of training at club.

So as players go into their break:

2 Important cogs, Dion Prestia, Nank looking in great nick at this time of year.

Best Track performers, (established players), in order:
Bakes
Dusty
Kmac
Prestia
Shai
Shorty
Marlion
Balta

Best Track performers, (1 to 4 year players), in order:
Ross
RCD
Dow
Martyn/Hugo

Emerging Big Men???:
CJ:
Fitness levels behind this time last year IMO but seems to have integrated back into the group well after his indiscretion.
Biggie: Pardon the pun but has got bigger, athletically great if not aerobically so, needs to improve one on ones but certainly keen to keep an eye on his development
Miller: Seems to have progressed somewhat, (and needed to), I need to see scratch matches to make a better judgement.
Samson Ryan: So we have a baby Giraffe in our midst, (and 3 year project player for mine). Impressed with his skills for a big man and one grab marking and tap work. Endurance *smile* and together with strength/putting on size are the things he will be working on.

Rehab:

Soldo: Just started running straight lines.
Cumberland: Full paced straight line & lap running and just easing into some change of direction drills.
Bachar: Was a bad calf tear in GF, (amazing he was able to stay on field and aid in rotations), being very cautious in easing back into things.
Garthwaite: Forever in rehab the last couple of seasons not sure what issue keeps hampering him.
Mabs: Doing more laps than drills, doesn't look too much wrong with him though.

The last session going to the break Shedda seemed to have a lower back issue?, popped some pills and left the track 10 minutes in.

Kane Lambert: Going at about 80% but good progress after his hip op.

The Trialists:
Green:
I have a feeling we might take Green mainly because coaches seem to be giving him a bit more attention than others. From my observations whilst 192cm is a good size if a midfielder not so much if a key position player. Does not seem to have natural midfield craft and is not overly quick but I still think he may be the front runner.
Egg: Has the best skills of the lot but I am happy to move on as I still don't see the required intensity .
Rhyan Mansell: Shows a bit of dash, neat skills a tougher edge than Egg, don't mind him.
Nick Couroupis: Have not seen anything yet that excites me.

**NOTE: All above observations have been made without seeing competitive game sim or scratch matches so not ideal, expect the boys to crank it up when they come back from break.
Great report thanks Caesar. How is Josh Caddy looking? Is he bulked up like a 3rd forward or slim like a wingperson.

Reactions: 1 user

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Forgive me PRE for I have sinned, it has been 11 days and three training sessions since my last report. I were waiting for the return of the prodigal son, (JNR), and his cuz to return but alas they were given more time to support their family up North.

Just on Daniel and JNR, they have basically had 20 days away from the club so will be interesting to see what shape they come back in, no doubt they have trained together up there but would be hard to replicate the intensity and volume of training at club.

So as players go into their break:

2 Important cogs, Dion Prestia, Nank looking in great nick at this time of year.

Best Track performers, (established players), in order:
Bakes
Dusty
Kmac
Prestia
Shai
Shorty
Marlion
Balta

Best Track performers, (1 to 4 year players), in order:
Ross
RCD
Dow
Martyn/Hugo

Emerging Big Men???:
CJ:
Fitness levels behind this time last year IMO but seems to have integrated back into the group well after his indiscretion.
Biggie: Pardon the pun but has got bigger, athletically great if not aerobically so, needs to improve one on ones but certainly keen to keep an eye on his development
Miller: Seems to have progressed somewhat, (and needed to), I need to see scratch matches to make a better judgement.
Samson Ryan: So we have a baby Giraffe in our midst, (and 3 year project player for mine). Impressed with his skills for a big man and one grab marking and tap work. Endurance *smile* and together with strength/putting on size are the things he will be working on.

Rehab:

Soldo: Just started running straight lines.
Cumberland: Full paced straight line & lap running and just easing into some change of direction drills.
Bachar: Was a bad calf tear in GF, (amazing he was able to stay on field and aid in rotations), being very cautious in easing back into things.
Garthwaite: Forever in rehab the last couple of seasons not sure what issue keeps hampering him.
Mabs: Doing more laps than drills, doesn't look too much wrong with him though.

The last session going to the break Shedda seemed to have a lower back issue?, popped some pills and left the track 10 minutes in.

Kane Lambert: Going at about 80% but good progress after his hip op.

The Trialists:
Green:
I have a feeling we might take Green mainly because coaches seem to be giving him a bit more attention than others. From my observations whilst 192cm is a good size if a midfielder not so much if a key position player. Does not seem to have natural midfield craft and is not overly quick but I still think he may be the front runner.
Egg: Has the best skills of the lot but I am happy to move on as I still don't see the required intensity .
Rhyan Mansell: Shows a bit of dash, neat skills a tougher edge than Egg, don't mind him.
Nick Couroupis: Have not seen anything yet that excites me.

**NOTE: All above observations have been made without seeing competitive game sim or scratch matches so not ideal, expect the boys to crank it up when they come back from break.

thanks Ceasar - your sins are forgiven.

what is the break you talk about - is it a pre season camp type thing.

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
There would be massive melts if we add Cumberland and Martyn into a future premiership team before Brisbane get one. Would be so funny watching them pass up on 2 players that then become premiership players before any of them. We'd in full on microwave your Brisbane membership melts I reckon.
Would be fun. Only Brisbane supporters aren’t passionate enough to do the microwave thing. If the Liars start to lose again watch all their ‘supporters’ disappear.

happytige

Tiger Superstar
May 1, 2005
Thanks Caesar. Fantastic report.

Love the headings.... in the "Best Track Performers" category, no surprise to see Bakes in the lead and rapt to see Marlion in this elite group.

Very excited about the 1-4 year group, but any sign of Naishy?

Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
Forgive me PRE for I have sinned,
Christ @caesar, ya put me in a flashback moment stuck in one of them 'truth' chambers! (Have subsequently discovered I was the truthful one!!)
Anyway, back on subject. ..... thanks as always for your fantastic insights.

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
thanks Ceasar - your sins are forgiven.

what is the break you talk about - is it a pre season camp type thing.
Just an extra long weekend I think, I wouldn't be surprised that when they come back they do their pseudo training camp type thing at PRO?, (whereby they usually do it up North).

Last edited:

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Would taking Green help in getting his brother from GWS??
Don't think that will make any difference although I am sure the family would be happy that we are at least trialing Josh, GWS didn't even rookie Josh after being in their academy so I am hoping he has something that they missed.

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Great report thanks Caesar. How is Josh Caddy looking? Is he bulked up like a 3rd forward or slim like a wingperson.
I bagged Caddy in an earlier report that it appeared he had enjoyed himself a little too much in the break. Not sure of their positional plans they have for him but our wings are set with Kmac and Marlion

Reactions: 1 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Thanks Caesar. Fantastic report.

Love the headings.... in the "Best Track Performers" category, no surprise to see Bakes in the lead and rapt to see Marlion in this elite group.

Very excited about the 1-4 year group, but any sign of Naishy?
Not really seeing anything from Naishy at this point to say it is going to be the breakout year he needs .

Elmer

Tiger Champion
Dec 3, 2005
Forgive me PRE for I have sinned, it has been 11 days and three training sessions since my last report...
Say three hail Dusty's and sin no more.

Go in peace, to training and report before PRE.

• Haha
  • Love
Reactions: 8 users

caesar

Tiger Legend
Feb 9, 2015
Cheers Caesar , how intense is the training this time of year , rating 1-10 compared to what you’ve seen at other times
I reckon we are only going at about a 7, I see vision at other clubs having full on game sim. One could be worried except we have proved we are experts at timing, (not necessarily for round 1, we are just lucky we get Carlton each year;)), to get our players through a season.
Also we finished the season later than most and started our pre-season a week after everyone else.

Reactions: 6 users
Jul 26, 2004
www.redbubble.com
Great write up caesar & thank you as ever but I really do miss the heady days of sunshine & rainbows of Mr Brightside's reports from a deade or so ago.
Far too much balance in your reports, you need to add a bit more sugar mate.:))

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Great write up caesar & thank you as ever but I really do miss the heady days of sunshine & rainbows of Mr Brightside's reports from a deade or so ago.
Far too much balance in your reports, you need to add a bit more sugar mate.:))
I’d say it’s the difference between a fiction author and a non fiction author

• Haha
Reactions: 8 users