Trust | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Trust

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
All the above you mentioned is just comical stuff made up by 1 minute heroes to make a name for themselves
Mate, I don't disagree, but you can't play by your own set of rules.

When we have a differential of nearly 100 free kicks over the two top sides*, costing momentum, field position and goals, it shakes my trust in the players and coaches.

Adapt or die, as the old saying goes.

*edited for accuracy, see larabee's post below for the original text

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

DuD_Delist

Tiger Superstar
Sep 30, 2014
Mate, I don't disagree, but you can't play by your own set of rules.

When we have given away 100 more free kicks than the next worst performed side, costing momentum, field position and goals, it shakes my trust in the players and coaches.

Adapt or die, as the old saying goes.
Its been like this since 17.
I hate losing like you do but i'd rather go down playing our way which is on the edge with positive actions than the boring type of crap that Geelong have served up.
How far has that got em?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
i'd rather go down playing our way which is on the edge with positive actions
Yeah, but we're not talking about that.

It's about Shai seemingly incapable of returning the *smile* ball on the full to an opponent, kickstarting a run of goals in R11 that results in a nonsensical loss.

It's about giving away 8x 50m penalties in R1 against a team that should never have beaten us.

It's about Nicky V committing one of the dumbest things you'll see on a footy field, with the game done, getting suspended and disrupting a back 6 that is finally getting continuity.

Are we an elite organisation or are we OK with this stuff?

Is it OK to expect better?

• Dislike
Reactions: 10 users

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
I got a call from the club around two weeks ago.

"Mate, you're a longstanding member, but we notice you haven't attended a game this year. What's up?"

I've been considering making this post since I got that call. Now is the right time.

There are some aspects to the way our boys play that *smile* me to tears.

I hate the unnecessary 50m penalties given away through petulant behaviour (looking at you, Shai).

I hate the often-lopsided free kick count that generally occurs because we think we can play the game on our own terms.

I hate the ridiculous brain farts that result in stupid suspensions (hello Nicky V).

I hate the inability to close out games and protect match-winning leads (Carlton R1, Sydney R11, Geelong R13).

And, yes, the AFL plays its part with boneheaded 50m penalty interpretations, stupid ticketing stipulations, tribunal inconsistency and non-sensical rule changes.

I was chatting to a neighbour of mine today, a dyed-in-the-wool Tiger like me. He also hasn't attended a game this year. I told him I would never have missed a game like yesterday's (day time, MCG, good weather) in previous years.

We agreed that watching Richmond in 2022 is a very frustrating experience.

Trust is hard won but easily lost.

I don't like feeling this way.
Winners fatigue. Have a well earned break from it. Drop membership and have a year or two off. You've been doing more than enough heavy lifting. Do something fun...
Ticketing and COVID and game day announcers are a pain. Despite it all I believe Richmond is very well attended. I've followed the team off and on since late 60s, a couple of GFs from 72 ~ 74. No 8 *smile* Clay was a great player......but didn't follow footy at all for decades. Interstate for the last 20 odd years so just get a cheap membership. COVID in 2020.....hubs at the Goldie ended up seeing more football than ever and the GF vs Geelong. Easy to get a ticket ~ hectic flooding rain made it a white knuckle drive up.

I watch the game my focus is soley on Richmond players. I could never tell you one oppo player. I don't know what umpires are doing. We have been a high free kick against style for the Dimma years.

Maybe stay off social media forums?

Last edited:
  • Haha

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
When we have given away 100 more free kicks than the next worst performed side, costing momentum, field position and goals, it shakes my trust in the players and coaches.
We have given away only 10 more free kicks (as of round 15) than the next team (Sydney), not 100.
We haven't even given away 100 more frees than the "best behaved" team (Doggies - 86)

1657079967018.png

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Yeah, but we're not talking about that.

It's about Shai seemingly incapable of returning the *smile* ball on the full to an opponent, kickstarting a run of goals in R11 that results in a nonsensical loss.

It's about giving away 8x 50m penalties in R1 against a team that should never have beaten us.

It's about Nicky V committing one of the dumbest things you'll see on a footy field, with the game done, getting suspended and disrupting a back 6 that is finally getting continuity.

Are we an elite organisation or are we OK with this stuff?

Is it OK to expect better?
Vlas & Shai are excellent footballers but occasional dumb actions. Vlas does dumb stuff. Chol thing last year.....At least Vlas is just a week...forced change means a chance for Mansell to play hopefully. Backline of Broad, Grimes have been ever reliable. Tarrant has slotted in OK pick up (I thought Balta & Miller were enough but~Gibcus ~ wow.. Rioli playing well in the easiest position on the field. Hugo playing OK too.

• Love

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
We have given away only 10 more free kicks (as of round 15) than the next team (Sydney), not 100.
It was a throwaway line, but look at those differentials.

-94 and -80 compared with the top two teams.

Jesus wept.

-138 compared with the Dogs ... unbelievable.

Letsroar

Tiger Superstar
May 19, 2014
Similarly to Tora Living in Brisbane now and haven’t bought my ticket for Saturday yet

Been to a few Brisbane games as I live only a kilometre away Easy walk

I watch games as an impartial supporter and find the awarding of 50 meter penalties random at best

As for rule interpretation it appears to have the consistency of a raffle wheel

Particularly dislike the rules that require to adjudicate on a players intent Umpiring is hard enough without also trying to read a players mind

Crowd disillusionment with umpires has gotten worse as the year goes on

Umpires leaders need to go back to the core principles of good leaders
Make it easier for them to apply the rules by simplifying
Help them work together by putting them in teams who work together for extended periods of time
Be honest with all stakeholders all reasonable people know that umpires are humans like the rest of us Acknowledge mistakes and learn from your them

Rant over

Reactions: 3 users

Ice

Tiger Superstar
Jul 18, 2006
i think we have a lot of undiagnosed cases of IMS on the forum :)

Carter

Tiger Legend
Nov 14, 2012
I understand the OP

If we cut deep into September, none of it matters

If we lose to GC this week -

Everything in the OP annoys me too.

The free kicks, the brain fades, the lairish mistakes, the goals on the table, the leads coughed up. Does my head in.

22nd Man

Tiger Legend
Aug 29, 2011
Essex Heights
Reflecting, I think I picked up other interests in COVID that haven't dropped off as we make our way back to normality which has contributed to a lessened interest in footy.
Thanks for replying. ... didn't want you to think I was having a crack. But it occurred to me that we can't just isolate declining interest in footy as being uniquely impacted by covid. Without a disruption like two years of lockdown and changes to so many aspects of life we all might just be still turning up out of habit. I don't think it's simply rule changes and game style.
In at least your case it's new interests.

And for example for those interested in racing did not going lead to less interest now?

tora

Tiger Rookie
Dec 10, 2021
Free kicks for and against are kind of meaningless. We have won flags with these kind of numbers. Richmond Winning flags is my concern and if we go about it like this I assume dimma knows what he is doing. I don't care about rising stars, All Australian..
We won a flag after whately *smile* about with 666 etc.
Our players seemed less disciplined when it came to STAND but I it coincided with us dropping off due to injury.
Interpretation of "dissent" has had a positive effect. But a sledgehammer response to a problem of lack of umpires.

We haven't even given away 100 more frees than the "best behaved" team (Doggies - 86)

View attachment 15873

tigerman

It's Tiger Time
Mar 17, 2003
Our pressure/niggle is what has brought us success,:cupgold:cupgold:cupgold I love it.

It puts uncertainty into opposition sides, wears them down, and forces them into making mistakes.

Number8

Tiger Superstar
Oct 12, 2010
Melbourne
Obviously yesterday's debacle adds to the lack of trust I have in this side right now.

We all saw it, no need to go over the examples of stupid, selfish behaviour.

I think it comes down to this: our boys just don't want it enough.

Don't want to stand up when it really matters.

Don't want to do the one-percenters to change the course of a game.

Don't want to give the easy handball when a speculative shot at goal is on offer.

Don't want to be ruthless when a percentage booster is on the table.

Don't want to play blue collar footy when the situation demands it.

A five goal lead at 3/4 quarter time. Can't be trusted to protect that. Wow.

Been to the mountain. Good enough to get there again, but clearly just can't be stuffed.

Deadset, it's a crying shame.

Reactions: 8 users