Turner 95 | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Turner 95

Mr Richmond

1980 - thats 36 years ago!
May 4, 2007
Ballarat
Easly the best experience in my life behind getting married. Turner & Knights were the catalyst for our 1st final win in 13 years. Turner's 1995 season (along with many tiges) was easly his best.

I was 15 yo and went by myself sitting in the olympic stand near the players race on the edge of a richmond bay. At half time we were 5 goals down and this old don nanna sitting oposite me in the essendon bay just turn to me and the guy behind me who i didn't know and started going off her tree. "you guys haven't won a final in 13 years and it'll be another 13 b4 you win one! in the 2nd half you should just watch what is required to win finals, richmond are pretenders and are not worthy to play us!"

I just looked at the guy behind me, i think we were both in shock as she had said hardly anything during the game and just unloaded, totally un prevoked.

just b4 the siren went she got up and went to leave, i looked at the guy behind me and we unloaded a verbal tirade on her that, lets face it she deserved even if she was approaching 70.

the siren went and we all went beserk, the noise, i thought the stands were goning to crumble! i sang the song about 20 times, the last 15 arm in arm we tiger fans i didn't know, such was the tiger family that day. it was a feeling that we took out to waverley the following week and resulted us singing the song in the last qrt despite being pumped by geelong for the dawn had arrived and we didn't care.... unfortunatley it was to be the biggest of false dawns.

If only Northey and the club had resolved their differences... what might of been :-[

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
I know its slightly off topic....but I found this the other day on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QSlNM_-4p2Y

1:22 - 1:44 is simply hair on the back of your neck stuff.

skiptomystu

Follow me on Twitter @Stuart_Wilson23
Jun 29, 2004
All this 1995 talk made me bust out 'A Tiger Tale'. What a video that is/was. :clap

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
There's something about that 95 team that I just love. Probably my age at the time (mid 20s) and the fact that I can't really remember the detail of the 80 and 82 seasons. I remember a few really close finishes in games where the crowd seemed to will the team on, the Turner demolition of O'Donnell which summed up the spirit of the team, and the atmosphere in the crowd the following week at Waverley when we were getting thumped by Geelong in the pouring rain but all stayed on the wing in the last quarter singing the theme song over and over in appreciation of the year we had watched. Such a shame it all fell apart in the off season.

Streak

Tiger Legend
Aug 31, 2007
Western Australia
Total Tiger said:
and the atmosphere in the crowd the following week at Waverley when we were getting thumped by Geelong in the pouring rain but all stayed on the wing in the last quarter singing the theme song over and over in appreciation of the year we had watched. Such a shame it all fell apart in the off season.

For what it is worth, I recall reading an interview with Stephen Jurica in which he stated he couldn't believe the passion of Tiger supporters, and only felt he truely understood it when at the end of that game he walked off the ground and heard the Tiger fans singing Tigerland with gusto despite the result.

Total Tiger

Tiger Champion
Apr 13, 2009
Streak said:
For what it is worth, I recall reading an interview with Stephen Jurica in which he stated he couldn't believe the passion of Tiger supporters, and only felt he truely understood it when at the end of that game he walked off the ground and heard the Tiger fans singing Tigerland with gusto despite the result.

It really was amazing. It was raining so hard you couldn't see the middle of the ground (a Waverley specialty), the game was dreadful and we were getting absolutely thrashed, but nobody left. We were with a non-football supporter who was begging us to leave but we just couldn't. People talk about the sleeping giant that is the Richmond supporters who all sit dormantly while we keep losing, but that game sums up what might happen if we ever become consistently successful. Although we lost, it's one of my favourite football memories.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
rexy said:
Robbo: "Turner back to Daffy, if they get one here - have a listen to this, have a listen to this!"

Thats the piece of commentary that stands out for me. The roar of the crowd was unbelievable.

I must have watched the video of that game 100 times!