U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

Either the 1st sentence in this statement is incorrect or it is true and half are middle class and the other half are in severe poverty.

American wages are significantly lower than ours (as are commodity prices), so $41K is not as dreadful as it sounds. The disparity could be indicative of a lot of one-working-parent families (e.g. dad's dead or in jail).

If it was a biased article, that disparity wouldn't have even been mentioned. The gist of it is that the lot of the black American is improving. You're a long way back when you start with the white man whipping you.

This article argues further that once conservatives and the military start to break ranks, it becomes easier for others to do so. Autocratic rule is fragile.

The hope we all must hold is the belief in the promise of America to itself and the world, that it can still be the light on the hill, the home of free-thinking and possibility, where flair and creativity are nurtured and thrive.

This is a country that within a century gave the world jazz, blues, rock'n'roll, hip-hop. Gospel. Soul. Funk. (ALL thanks to the blacks.) Basketball, baseball, television, technology. Steinbeck, Kerouac, Hemingway, Robbins, Kaufman. Ali, Elvis, Monroe, Brando, Wilder (x2), Scorsese, Tarantino. Bill Murray. Casablanca. To Kill A Mockingbird. Back to the Future. The Grapes of goddamn Wrath. Coltrane, Miles Davis, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson. Prince. Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Aretha Franklin, James Brown. They said they'd put a man on the moon and did it in a decade. This is a Great Country. But, Great and Terrible. It has dark secrets, deep wounds, that can no longer avoid the light.

I believe in America. I love America. That's why what's happening is so heartbreaking. But it's necessary. Skeletons are being hauled out of the closet. It's on a knife edge at present, could slip either way. I can't call it, but to use an Americanism, I'm rooting for the home team. If I were a betting man (oh, wait - I am), I'd back them. But I wouldn't take anything under $1.70.

extraordinarily naive analysis.

I reckon Sheridan is one of the most fraudulent intellectuals we've got.
He's a *smile*, and about as intellectual as he is handsome.

A Trump fan said
Are you not capable of seeing the evil?
And my irony-detection bot blew its own brains out.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Maybe this isn't the right thread but I've often said to myself I can't think of a worse, more thankless career than being a police officer.

Personally I'd rather clean restrooms, than do that job for the money many are paid.
That said I respect those that can do it enormously. It's a damn hard but important job.

I'd like to believe most though do great work protecting society each day. Usually the good doesn't get highlighted too much.
Sure they do make a lot of bad decisions & at times no doubt they deserve scorn.
Obviously what happened to Floyd & other such racist incidents are an absolute disgrace that can never be tolerated. Ever.

However seriously right now who'd want to be a cop?
Very hard to do their job without being captured on social media or criticised every time they use physical force.:(
Physical force is often a required part of the job though unfortunately. Often spilt second decisions are required under enormous pressure. Mistakes will be made.

Ultimately they're just people trying to do a very tough gig, usually dealing with the lowest denominator in society.

It can't be easy.
Yep.

Thanks Lee for posting the article.
It is so positive to see the progress of the life of black Americans. It is a he'l of a lot better.
No more lynchings and massacres that were occurring 60 years ago. Some of the old stories are heart-rending.
I have American friends, and worked with genuine nice people there.

The article stated that police killed 10 unarmed black men in 2019
Presumably there were more killed while armed, which is a right and not an excuse from being killed so it's dodgy already.
But the real concern is this - that although the number is low in a population of 300 million it is not insignificant.
A person was unduly killed without cause.
Yet the article seeks to reduce that death, and the protests and riots that have flowed from it, to an insignificance in statistical terms.
There is not a lot of them anyway, it says.
Which is pretty damn mean to write from a comfy office half aworldaway.
And as a stats man you would know that's the trap of using statistics.

Another way to look at this is to question why he was arrested, or more specifically why he was chosen.
An alleged crime committed, relatively minor. Insignificant really. A description was given - this will be very crucial in the cops court case.
But many Americans, based on their own experience, will guess that the description was brief. And that Floyd was arrested as the nearest black man.
The nearest.

Last edited:
Maybe this isn't the right thread but I've often said to myself I can't think of a worse, more thankless career than being a police officer.

Personally I'd rather clean restrooms, than do that job for the money many are paid.
That said I respect those that can do it enormously. It's a damn hard but important job.

I'd like to believe most though do great work protecting society each day. Usually the good doesn't get highlighted too much.
Sure they do make a lot of bad decisions & at times no doubt they deserve scorn.
Obviously what happened to Floyd & other such racist incidents are an absolute disgrace that can never be tolerated. Ever.

However seriously right now who'd want to be a cop?
Very hard to do their job without being captured on social media or criticised every time they use physical force.:(
Physical force is often a required part of the job though unfortunately. Often spilt second decisions are required under enormous pressure. Mistakes will be made.

Ultimately they're just people trying to do a very tough gig, usually dealing with the lowest denominator in society.

It can't be easy.

I broadly agree TOO. Id rather clean nightclub dunnies (I have) than be a cop.

I'd make a few points.

1. I suspect you've never been beat up, or shot at by a cop (believe it or not, I have. Well, it was more shot towards. long story)

2. I think 80% of police start out as upstanding, civic minded people who want to do good and maybe 20% start out as bullied, not very bright, meat heads who want to carry a gun and exert incredible power over their fellow citizens. maybe 10% dont like black people or women very much?

3. I think the sheer hardship, violence, fear and loathing of the job weeds out and/or converts a significant proportion of the good 80%. Like you say, they are dealing with the far left hand end of the social bell curve on one front, and often a cynical, ambitious, political, sometimes corrupt management at the other front, and a hostile public on the other front. Super, duper, tough gig. "what did you do today honey?" "well, I smashed down a door, and maced a gigantic, psychotic man who was beating up his wife with a hammer. After lunch, I cut a 15 year old kid down'

yep, I agree.

• Sad
The hope we all must hold is the belief in the promise of America to itself and the world, that it can still be the light on the hill, the home of free-thinking and possibility, where flair and creativity are nurtured and thrive.

This is a country that within a century gave the world jazz, blues, rock'n'roll, hip-hop. Gospel. Soul. Funk. (ALL thanks to the blacks.) Basketball, baseball, television, technology. Steinbeck, Kerouac, Hemingway, Robbins, Kaufman. Ali, Elvis, Monroe, Brando, Wilder (x2), Scorsese, Tarantino. Bill Murray. Casablanca. To Kill A Mockingbird. Back to the Future. The Grapes of goddamn Wrath. Coltrane, Miles Davis, Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson. Prince. Dolly Parton, Linda Ronstadt, Aretha Franklin, James Brown. They said they'd put a man on the moon and did it in a decade. This is a Great Country. But, Great and Terrible. It has dark secrets, deep wounds, that can no longer avoid the light.

I believe in America. I love America. That's why what's happening is so heartbreaking. But it's necessary. Skeletons are being hauled out of the closet. It's on a knife edge at present, could slip either way. I can't call it, but to use an Americanism, I'm rooting for the home team. If I were a betting man (oh, wait - I am), I'd back them. But I wouldn't take anything under $1.70.

very, what's the word? presidential spook. well said

One of the problems that eats away at their greatness, and it'll keep eating away at ours,

is they haven't reconciled that their great nation is founded on horrendous violence and attempted genocide.

They eat turkeys, we listen to the hottest 100

Thanks Lee for posting the article.
It is so positive to see the progress of the life of black Americans. It is a he'l of a lot better.
No more lynchings and massacres that were occurring 60 years ago. Some of the old stories are heart-rending.

I see what your doing Td, and its admirable.

but you don't reckon George Floyd was horizontally lynched? by a mob?

I know they are inextricably linked, but can we take BLM over onto racial intolerance thread?

Last edited:
I broadly agree TOO. Id rather clean nightclub dunnies (I have) than be a cop.

I'd make a few points.

1. I suspect you've never been beat up, or shot at by a cop (believe it or not, I have. Well, it was more shot towards. long story)

2. I think 80% of police start out as upstanding, civic minded people who want to do good and maybe 20% start out as bullied, not very bright, meat heads who want to carry a gun and exert incredible power over their fellow citizens. maybe 10% dont like black people or women very much?

3. I think the sheer hardship, violence, fear and loathing of the job weeds out and/or converts a significant proportion of the good 80%. Like you say, they are dealing with the far left hand end of the social bell curve on one front, and often a cynical, ambitious, political, sometimes corrupt management at the other front, and a hostile public on the other front. Super, duper, tough gig. "what did you do today honey?" "well, I smashed down a door, and maced a gigantic, psychotic man who was beating up his wife with a hammer. After lunch, I cut a 15 year old kid down'

yep, I agree.
Your last point sounds like how a South African police officer would have described their day some years ago. I saw a doco where this guy rode with two for a night. It was horrifying. One of the cops said any night where they didn’t actually have to kill anyone they regarded as a good night.

• Wow
Reactions: 1 user
Nine of 12 members of Minneapolis City Council have vowed to “dismantle” their city’s police force, which is at the centre of the George Floyd protests after a white cop knelt on the black man’s neck. Floyd died in custody.

The Minneapolis Police Force is the same one that produced Mohamed Noor - the cop who shot dead Australian Justine Damond.

The Mayors of New York and Los Angeles have also declared they will “de-fund” their police forces - reduce their funding - in line with the demands of protesters.

https://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/w...s/news-story/85109f0170c6086416dd54b5edf49f02 (paywalled)

Now maybe some of you understand why Americans cling to their guns like a safety blanket.

Nope. Still nope.

I tell you what. I'm just an average law-abiding schmoe, but when coronavirus landed here and there was a sensation of falling with no feel for where the bottom was, I enquired about obtaining a weapon and confirmed I could get one if that's what it came to.

If the government abandoned me and left me wholly responsible for my own personal safety, I would kill to survive.