U.S Presidential Election | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

U.S Presidential Election

I don’t believe this is racism at work. I have lived in the US on four separate occasions, as this paper’s Washington correspondent in 1986 and 1987, and for periods of several months each in three different attachments to US think tanks. Every time, I have lived in a racially diverse apartment building. I’ve had friends of every ethnic background. I have spent probably thousands of hours in the company of conservative Republicans and conservative Christians. I have never heard a single one ever make a racially derogatory remark.

Conservative white man says "you know, I didn't experience racism so therefore it can't be too bad"

Reactions: 2 users
Anyhoo, now we have 10 days of sustained protests which is a credit to progressives who won't take the slide towards fascism lying down. Meanwhile conservatives are starting to jump off the Trump train while the spray-tanned panda-eyed blimp panic tweets from the bunker that he was just inspecting. The consumer oriented corporates are picking sides too - they can see that pushing the line of mass-suppression ain't gonna cut it. Even the NFL have apologised to Kap and will allow the taking of the knee during the anthem. How could they not, given Trump's abject hypocrisy on the issue?

It's the crazy year of 2020, so who knows what can happen between now and November, but Trump's garish makeup is starting to melt and slip.

• Haha
Reactions: 1 users
This article argues further that once conservatives and the military start to break ranks, it becomes easier for others to do so. Autocratic rule is fragile.

Reactions: 2 users
The article is replete with facts and incorporates several arguments I've stated over the past week. There are none so blind as those that will not see.

My counter argument - hundreds of thousands of people protesting on the street for ten days straight, risking tear gas, rubber bullets or worse. I guess they are all wrong and you are right though.

Reactions: 1 user
Conservative white man says "you know, I didn't experience racism so therefore it can't be too bad"

extraordinarily naive analysis.

I reckon Sheridan is one of the most fraudulent intellectuals we've got.

It's simply laughable, the left's penchant for claiming the scientific high ground. You lot are good at rhetoric and enemies of science.

Exhibit A: The Lancet has made one of the biggest retractions in modern history. How could this happen?

Science works by falsifying that which doesn't stand up to scrutiny, Sheridan and his ilk just double down on what is already falsified.

By the way, I thought you were ok with the science around COVID19 - it seems you like undermining any science.

DS

Science works by falsifying that which doesn't stand up to scrutiny, Sheridan and his ilk just double down on what is already falsified.

By the way, I thought you were ok with the science around COVID19 - it seems you like undermining any science.

I've been saying for years on the GW thread that peer review is broken, and there you have it, from the horse's mouth.

That Lancet article was published for the purpose of smearing Trump. It is a sign of sickness.

Yesterday's protests flew in the face of the best medical advice. Insane.

• Love
Certainly not a coalition of "progressives".

Nice attempt at a straw person but no prize.

Like the rest of the non-delusional population I like to see scientific papers reviewed by other scientists in the relevant field.

You can advocate for regressives like Trump to review scientific papers if you like, or even Sheridan and Bolt, but it is still anti-science. Not that this surprises me at all.

By the way Sheridan's anecdotes do not constitute data.

DS

By the way Sheridan's anecdotes do not constitute data.

- Since the great wave of civil-rights reforms in the US in the 1960s, black life expectancy has increased by nearly 12 years, more than white life expectancy has increased

- According to a Brookings Institution study in 1964, 18 per cent of whites said they had a black friend. Now it’s nearly 90 per cent.

- In 1958, 44 per cent of whites said they would move house if a black family moved next door. By the time of the Brookings Study it was 1 per cent.

- In 1968, only 50 per cent of African-American adults had graduated high school. Now it’s more than 90 per cent.

- In 1968, 10 per cent of blacks had college degrees. Now it’s just on a quarter.

- More than half of African-Americans are middle class.

- Generally, about twice as many whites are killed as blacks, and blacks make up about a quarter of those killed. Given that blacks are 13 per cent of the US population, that establishes that they die in disproportionately large numbers. But given that African-Americans commit more than half the homicides in the US and an even higher proportion of the robberies, they come into difficult contact with the police much more often than whites do.

- Black poverty had declined substantially under the Trump administration. Black incarceration also declined under Trump. People with jobs don’t go to jail so much.

- Trump sponsored and signed the First Step Act, which got thousands of non-violent black offenders out of prison.

- - - - -

These are facts, not opinions. Which ones are you disputing, David?