Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Has the farce officially ended? I love this thread. :oops:

I know, they were actually vaguely consistent after a shaky start, although I was watching the game on a low res screen (scoreboard at Punt Rd) and haven't yet watched the game properly.

What's the worth of life if you can't slag the maggots?

To be fair, GWS's free kick count in the H&A was worse than ours so let's wait and see what happens when we meet the umpires favourites, Collingwood.

DS

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
After two favourable Grand Finals we can finally put all conspiracy nonsense to bed.

The first 10 minutes were bizarre, I know people are toey at the start of a Grand Final but the constant calling of ball and subsequent outrage was crazy.
Bizarre BR? Do you watch the game as an umpire or a fan. Certain both umpires and fans could see the on field umps were stunned and couldnt make simple decisions. It did change for the better but the start was pretty ordinary.

Reactions: 1 user

zippadeee

Tiger Legend
Oct 8, 2004
It’s very hard to cheat when you might have 80,000 waiting for you after the game.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
After two favourable Grand Finals we can finally put all conspiracy nonsense to bed.

The first 10 minutes were bizarre, I know people are toey at the start of a Grand Final but the constant calling of ball and subsequent outrage was crazy.

Early mark not paid to Jack could've swung the game.

On the other hand, Stevic and Ryan completed the 2017/19 double and should be invited to do all our grand finals.

-33 to the bye, +3 after the bye and didn't lose a match.

Reactions: 1 users

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004

Yes, we can put to bed bizarre conspiracy theories to bed but we can’t deny the RFC have been on the receiving end of inconsistent umpiring for at least the last 3 seasons. Stats show that.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
The thing that I like about our players is that they hardly ever complain about the umpires decisions, they accept it & then get back on with the game.
The same can't be said about a lot of other teams, especially the Sellwood led Pussycats.

Baloo

Delisted Free Agent
Nov 8, 2005
The thing that I like about our players is that they hardly ever complain about the umpires decisions, they accept it & then get back on with the game.
The same can't be said about a lot of other teams, especially the Sellwood led Pussycats.

Though I think we all smiled when Dusty got a 50m against him on Saturday. It was well worth the 50m

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
I would be interested to know how many of our frees on saturday were when a gws player was caught with the ball.

We tackled so well and caught them so often it would have been hard not to win the free kick count

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005

I love this. I used to complain that dodgy decisions turned games against us. In reality what I now realise Is our players at that stage didn’t have have the mental fortitude and resilience they have now to ignore it and focus on the next passage of play. When you see opposition fans complaining about this you now know the main truth. Dimma has been preaching his for years and I think I finally got it. Sure you can get something like the west coast game this year but it’s pretty rare.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
It is good that our players are focused on the next play rather than the umpire's decision, although I do think they need to be a little more vocal at times when we are getting shafted. They certainly don't need to be asking for frees like Geelong do all the time (plus, Geelong's free kick stats show it isn't particularly successful). All players will milk situations for frees, but some teams just seem more prone to pleading for frees a lot of the time and I blame their coaches.

As for fans, we don't have to make the next play. Part of our job is to make it well known when we see a decision which either does not accord with the rules or is blatantly inconsistent with other rulings in the same game. If you ever went to a game at Victoria Park you will know that crowds do influence umpiring. After the Hawthorn game earlier this year, and the obvious change in umpiring after half time, we now know that there is some awareness of and reaction to what is going on, even during a game.

DS

Bennnny

Punt Road End. The best place to watch The Tiges.
Mar 29, 2005
Melbourne
www.indieinitiative.com
I don't denigrate anyone, nor do I have any bias, I just deal in facts. If a decision is incorrect I call it, if it is correct I call it.

I don't deny however that something that irritates me enormously is footy supporters bagging the umpires when they clearly don't understand the rules, so I find it hard to walk past that when I see it.

Watch the first half of the first quarter again and match the calls of 'ball' to the actual free kicks. You'll find the umpires percentage of correct calls vs the crowd resembles the actual scoreboard.
As my friend at the G said, "Damn you replay screen for showing the umpires were right"

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
I don't denigrate anyone, nor do I have any bias, I just deal in facts. If a decision is incorrect I call it, if it is correct I call it.

I don't deny however that something that irritates me enormously is footy supporters bagging the umpires when they clearly don't understand the rules, so I find it hard to walk past that when I see it.

Watch the first half of the first quarter again and match the calls of 'ball' to the actual free kicks. You'll find the umpires percentage of correct calls vs the crowd resembles the actual scoreboard.
Agree. With 1-2 exceptions, I thought umpires were good. In fact, for most of the year, they’ve been good. We play unsociable football, like hawthorn of a few years back, so unlikely to win many free kick counts.

I’d generally prefer to focus on the players than the umpires.

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

Oxymoron.

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland

"Baallllll!!!" is part of our game. Most supporters are well aware that they are over-egging the pudding when they do this. It's a bit of fun that everyone gets to be part of that isn't abusive. Lighten up I reckon TBR. If we are able to suck the ump in once in a while all the better.

Reactions: 3 users

AngryAnt

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2004
"Baallllll!!!" is part of our game. Most supporters are well aware that they are over-egging the pudding when they do this. It's a bit of fun that everyone gets to be part of that isn't abusive. Lighten up I reckon TBR. If we are able to suck the ump in once in a while all the better.

It is fun, and it's also fun to bag umpires out on footy forums. But sometimes we have to admit that *gulp* the umps get it right.

Also they get it wrong in our favour sometimes. Marlion's attempt to balk the tackle and then losing the ball forward was incorrect disposal every day of the week.

I feel bad for saying that :cool:

• Angry

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
It is fun, and it's also fun to bag umpires out on footy forums. But sometimes we have to admit that *gulp* the umps get it right.

Also they get it wrong in our favour sometimes. Marlion's attempt to balk the tackle and then losing the ball forward was incorrect disposal every day of the week.

You're forgiven, but don't do it again :cool:

Reactions: 2 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004

I saw a fist that handballed.

• Haha