Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
That's not denigrating anyone, I'm talking about a specific group of people for which that is fact.

Criticising is denigrating. "footy supporters bagging the umpires when they clearly don't understand the rules"

I'm sure we all understand the rules.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
Jokes aside, how RIPPED-OFF WAS JACK NOT BEING PAID THAT MARK!!!!!!!!!!! A huge pack mark in a GF? That should be a piece of history. Not happy

Agree, he carried it all the way to the ground. Thought he was lucky to get that free which he converted (in the 2nd I think). Umpiring debacle has definitely eased this year. We even rose to 13th for free kick differential after being in the bottom 2 for at least 3 years. The farce may indeed be over.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
After two favourable Grand Finals we can finally put all conspiracy nonsense to bed.

The first 10 minutes were bizarre, I know people are toey at the start of a Grand Final but the constant calling of ball and subsequent outrage was crazy.

Wasn't bizarre at all. Based on frees paid for holding the ball later in the game there were at least 2 of those initial 10 or so tackles that were definitely holding the ball frees. They eventually paid a couple.

tigerlove

Tiger Legend
Aug 9, 2014
I don't denigrate anyone, nor do I have any bias, I just deal in facts. If a decision is incorrect I call it, if it is correct I call it.

lol, you're saying that your interpretation/opinion of whether a decision is correct or incorrect is dealing in facts? :rotfl1

Get off your high horse.

Reactions: 1 users

A Tiger in Denmark
Aug 9, 2003
Denmark
www.dafl.dk
I have now watched the GF more times that I care to admit and this might not be a terribly popular opinion, but we got the dreamiest of dream runs from the men in green. The two reversals (both of which were soft), some rather long runs from Castagna and Cotchin (yes he bounced it but how far did he run after the bounce?), Pickett's throw, the free to Riewoldt for our first goal in the second quarter. Could go on.
Whatever you might think, if decisions like that had gone against us and we had lost by less than say, five goals, folks on this board would have been burning down AFL house.

I am a big believer in that the umps, subconsciously or otherwise, have an "if in doubt, go for the better team" mentality on the basis that fewer eyebrows will be raised at their own performance if the favourites win. And while it's taken a few years of domination, I think they have finally begun to think of Richmond as they thought of the Hawthorns and Geelongs of the past decade or so.

It's also interesting to note that the commentators didn't really make much of a big deal of the above-mentioned decisions.

The wheel really has turned.

jb03

Tiger Legend
Jan 28, 2004
Melbourne
We have been stitched every game we have played in the last 3 years except two - the two Grand Finals.

Reactions: 5 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Yeah, we got the rub of the green a few times in the GF, but we were so far ahead it made no difference.

I still have a lot of trouble with the inconsistency. It doesn't really matter if it is in our favour every now and again, the way the rules are adjudicated needs to improve.

I also reckon they need to seriously look at either changing the holding the man rule or at least explain why they rarely, and randomly, enforce it.

DS

Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
I am mostly happy with the way the finals are umpired. Just wish all games were umpired in a similar fashion.

Reactions: 2 users

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
I have now watched the GF more times that I care to admit and this might not be a terribly popular opinion, but we got the dreamiest of dream runs from the men in green. The two reversals (both of which were soft), some rather long runs from Castagna and Cotchin (yes he bounced it but how far did he run after the bounce?), Pickett's throw, the free to Riewoldt for our first goal in the second quarter. Could go on.
Whatever you might think, if decisions like that had gone against us and we had lost by less than say, five goals, folks on this board would have been burning down AFL house.

I am a big believer in that the umps, subconsciously or otherwise, have an "if in doubt, go for the better team" mentality on the basis that fewer eyebrows will be raised at their own performance if the favourites win. And while it's taken a few years of domination, I think they have finally begun to think of Richmond as they thought of the Hawthorns and Geelongs of the past decade or so.

It's also interesting to note that the commentators didn't really make much of a big deal of the above-mentioned decisions.

The wheel really has turned.

Just adding to the unpopular opinion, I think Dylan was a tad fortunate to get maybe one of, if not both of those frees off the ball. Yes he was knocked over but as much as I absolutely love him as a player, he is over emphasising contact occasionally.
Just as he is so adept at utilising his pointy bits and agility to knock blokes about, I don't want him using his peripheral vision and end up being labelled a stager. Possibly no one else sees it as a problem, just my opinion.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Yep, we may have had the rub of the green of the umps in the GF but it affected the score none. And it’s a nice pay off for getting reamed week after week after week in the H&A games for 3 seasons running. :cool:

lukeanddad

Tiger Champion
Nov 17, 2008
Just adding to the unpopular opinion, I think Dylan was a tad fortunate to get maybe one of, if not both of those frees off the ball. Yes he was knocked over but as much as I absolutely love him as a player, he is over emphasising contact occasionally.
Just as he is so adept at utilising his pointy bits and agility to knock blokes about, I don't want him using his peripheral vision and end up being labelled a stager. Possibly no one else sees it as a problem, just my opinion.
I agree. Three of our very elite - JR/Alex/Dylan - have been adding mayo in situations in recent years. For this reason, I am reluctant to point the finger at others who do the same thing.

IanG

Tiger Legend
Sep 27, 2004
Melbourne
I agree. Three of our very elite - JR/Alex/Dylan - have been adding mayo in situations in recent years. For this reason, I am reluctant to point the finger at others who do the same thing.

For me its not the players except the really OTT players like Cryin. Its the hypocrisy of the media reaction. The sheer OTT reaction to Grimes and Rance and then absolutely SFA over Cryin and Diverfield.

year of the tiger

Tiger Legend
Mar 26, 2008
Tasmania
Yep, we may have had the rub of the green of the umps in the GF but it affected the score none. And it’s a nice pay off for getting reamed week after week after week in the H&A games for 3 seasons running. :cool:

yes - we finally got to see what the Collingwood supporters experience EVERY week of the season EVERY year - I was actually surprised when we got some of those frees during the granny - I am afraid I am not used to it.

TrialByVideo

HailBGale!
Mar 1, 2015
For me its not the players except the really OTT players like Cryin. Its the hypocrisy of the media reaction. The sheer OTT reaction to Grimes and Rance and then absolutely SFA over Cryin and Diverfield.
Stagerfield always has and continues to be a media darling. Just as Buckley has his slippers under Eddie's cot, so too Dangerflop at Hutchinson's place.
Unfortunately those two now wield so much power in football media no one who wants to stay on their side ever criticises their favourites!

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
Actually don't have a problem with players falling down when they are getting crashed into off the ball. Imbeciles in suits at H.Q. keep grand standing n announcing that they're going to stop players from whacking n elbowing off the ball, but suspensions to harsh n fines are cheap so players keep right on doing it. So every now and again a player who's been gut punched, elbowed and trodden on for a couple of hours has a half second brain fart n gets vilified through the media n a holiday from the tribunal while the sniper walks away laughing n keeps doing *smile* week after week.
Happy for players to go as hard as they like in the contest for the ball, hold their ground and body position when setting up for the next contest. But it's bloody 2020 next year not the dark ages and well past time for players to be held accountable for unnecessary illegal actions off the contest.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
Umps have favoured us in the 2 gfs for some strange reason otherwise we get reamed.