Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

If you watch the only time our tackles get reward if its an obvious one or its 2 tackles in one.
We virtually need to get the opposition to drop the ball twice before they blow the whistle.
Compare that to the Robinson free kick! It was a joke, he barely tackled him and the ball bounced out.
It wasn’t a tackle - i
He just slapped the ball free - to get a free for htb you must lay a legitimate tackle. Should’ve been play on.

• Angry
Reactions: 6 users
It wasn’t a tackle - i
He just slapped the ball free - to get a free for htb you must lay a legitimate tackle. Should’ve been play on.

That's why we have lost the real blokes of the game, that wouldve called those incidents out.
The real blokes on world of sports like Dyer, Richards, Newman,
There would be no way they wouldn't highlight the blatant cheating last Thursday night.
And all they came out with was a 2 goal win.
Im barracking for anyone who is playing them.

You reckon these pricks might pay us a holding the ball decision this week?
Last week vs the Lions it was an absolute disgrace that they didn't reward our tackles & let the game flow often to our detriment.
Our game is built on pressure & tackling & it was almost as if there was some directive to remove that influence.
If the free kick is there, pay it FFS!
Shaun Ryan had one eye on his retirement already last week and didn't see anything and number 27 Andre Gianfanga was the one who punished us most.

Reactions: 1 users
That's why we have lost the real blokes of the game, that wouldve called those incidents out.
The real blokes on world of sports like Dyer, Richards, Newman,
There would be no way they wouldn't highlight the blatant cheating last Thursday night.
And all they came out with was a 2 goal win.
Im barracking for anyone who is playing them.
What if they play Colonwood.cant see any richmond supporter barracking for either team in a gf.

Last edited:
Mollison and Ryan retained from last week's game, so the AFL must've felt they did a good job. Must be on our best behaviour. Findlay (#23) the other.

• Sad
Reactions: 1 user
Ok Tigers, assume the position...this won’t hurt a bit......

• Wow
  • Haha
we get Mollison again !!!

Faaaarrrrkkkk , he hates us

He was the one that paid the block that stopped our come back.
He was the one that paid the 50 against Pickett.
He was the one not to pay Riewodlt a blocking free kick and he was the one that didn't give us a free kick when Balta got jumped on by Robinson.
This prick is as bad as Deboy and Bannister. OGorman, Sevic, Robinson, Goldspink

I was wondering why I've yelled at my television more in the past four years than the previous 45...and this is the single reason why. My wife supports Collingwood, I watch all of their games. I obviously also watch the Tiges, albeit with a lot more nervous energy. I see two very different things transpire on screen, and for the sake of the exercise, I'll call it cheating.

I get we play with an 'edge' (although I also believe that is overblown, even by Hardwick), so perhaps the frees against could have some basis. However it is the frees that are not paid to us that make less sense, why do we get so many less than Collingwood?

Anyway I reckon that almost 600 free kick differential below almost justifies why my entire family leaves the room when the Tigers are on TV!

Screen Shot 2020-10-09 at 7.26.55 am.png

• Wow
Reactions: 5 users
He was the one that paid the block that stopped our come back.
He was the one that paid the 50 against Pickett.
He was the one not to pay Riewodlt a blocking free kick and he was the one that didn't give us a free kick when Balta got jumped on by Robinson.
This prick is as bad as Deboy and Bannister. OGorman, Sevic, Robinson, Goldspink

Mollison was also the cheat that paid the deliberate against Edwards.

• Angry
I was wondering why I've yelled at my television more in the past four years than the previous 45...and this is the single reason why. My wife supports Collingwood, I watch all of their games. I obviously also watch the Tiges, albeit with a lot more nervous energy. I see two very different things transpire on screen, and for the sake of the exercise, I'll call it cheating.

I get we play with an 'edge' (although I also believe that is overblown, even by Hardwick), so perhaps the frees against could have some basis. However it is the frees that are not paid to us that make less sense, why do we get so many less than Collingwood?

Anyway I reckon that almost 600 free kick differential below almost justifies why my entire family leaves the room when the Tigers are on TV!

View attachment 10692
I’m the same.
I put myself through last night watching the game vs the Lions ( last weeks final ) and the different interpretations between HTB/Incorrect disposal Lions players & ours was even more obvious after the replay.

Watching the Pies vs WC different again to ours.

I just don’t get it.

View attachment 10692

There is a lot of talk about how the free kick count should not necessarily be even.

This is true, there are variations in the way different teams play and the umpires will never be perfect, but when the differential is so high over a 4 year period you get to the point where questions need to be asked.

This question needs to be turned around somewhat when the free kick differential gets to such ridiculous levels.

Rather than asking why the free kick count needs to be equal it is time to ask:
  • Can someone please explain how the way Collingwood plays is so different to the way Richmond, GWS and Hawthorn play that they receive so many more free kicks and we, along with GWS and Hawthorn, receive so many less.
  • Can they also explain the difference in the way Hawthorn played in 2016 and 2017 such that they had more even free kick ratios than in 2018, 2019 and 2020.

If everything else is equal the free kicks should also be close, varying across years and even across longer time periods, but fairly close to even. It is the glaring difference, year after year, which needs explaining, as this is the aberration from what should be normal.

So, who can provide this explanation?

I don't think this is conscious bias but I do think there is an issue and when you see the inconsistent umpiring every week the numbers make more sense.

DS

Reactions: 2 users
It’s a bad look to complain about umpires after a loss. I’ll always remember that Adelaide video on YouTube highlighting every missed free from the 2017 Grand Final. Sooks. We need to win for the sake of this thread!

If any controllable bias does exist, I guess it could be that the umpires believe we are taking advantage of the rules with our “on the edge” intent. They might be exercising their wide subjectivity to restore a broader sense of justice.

I guess Trent could reassure the umpires of the team’s intent before the game in the rooms...?

Last edited:
  • Haha
Rather than asking why the free kick count needs to be equal it is time to ask:

• Can someone please explain how the way Collingwood plays is so different to the way Richmond, GWS and Hawthorn play that they receive so many more free kicks and we, along with GWS and Hawthorn, receive so many less.

Receiving frees is not an issue IMO.

Over the past 4 years, we’ve received 1616 free kicks and Collingwood has received 1763.

Thats 91.5% of their free kicks.

The difference is insignificant I reckon. We have a low possession gameplan and a lot more dead time in our games after we’ve already won, so you’d expect less frees than a mid-table, overuser of the ball team like Collingwood.

Can we claim compensation for the crap we have put up this year?
Was Mollison responsible for the free kick to Wingard, when he should've been penalised for holding the ball??

It’s a bad look to complain about umpires after a loss. I’ll always remember that Adelaide video on YouTube highlighting every missed free from the 2017 Grand Final. Sooks. We need to win for the sake of this thread!

If any controllable bias does exist, I guess it could be that the umpires believe we are taking advantage of the rules with our “on the edge” intent. They might be exercising their wide subjectivity to restore a broader sense of justice.

I guess Trent could reassure the umpires of the team’s intent before the game in the rooms...?

yes. Never complain, never explain.

We bag the hell out of Geelong for complaining about no home finals at the Cattery yet every week we whinge and moan incessantly about umpiring.

I think you will find complaints about free kicks when we win games too.

You will also find complaints about free kicks in games not involving Richmond.

Are you seriously telling me that Collingwood, a professional team who want to win at all costs, somehow play with less on the edge intent?

Give me a break, all teams play as close to the edge as each other, and Collingwood throw the ball around as if they are playing rugby.

The club doesn't complain about inconsistent umpiring, they leave that to the fans, and we're very good at it.

Geelong have some case for their home finals not being at home, but then so would any Docklands side who get a home final at the MCG. But, while the Docklands home teams have little choice in the size and capacity of their home ground, Geelong could have made their home ground bigger, they didn't.

So, let us phrase this question in another way:
  • Can someone explain why Greater Western Sydney have been awarded less free kicks than they have conceded every year from 2013 to 2020
  • Can it also be explained why Collingwood have an increasing free kick ratio for the last couple of years to the point where for every 10 free kicks they conceded in 2020 they received 13. That isn't even close so there must be a reason. Collingwood must be consistently playing further from the edge of breaking the rules, or they must be particularly gentlemanly, or, just possibly, they are getting favourable treatment for some reason.
It is the discrepancy which needs explaining not a lack of discrepancy.

DS

PS: it is all well and good to say that a player like Dusty gets pinged when he takes on a tackler, fair enough. But why do so many other players who also take on tacklers not concede free kicks in very similar situations?

• Love
Reactions: 2 users
I'll break my own rule about not engaging in discussions about umpiring for fear of copping a hiding to offer some thoughts.

Firstly, I think comparing us to any other team is flawed as a general principle. As has been widely spoken about by the experts, I think the manner in which we play is vastly different from any other side in the competition and any in the history of the game in fact.

Our successful period contains a lot of statistical anomalies that redefine key indicators for success in the game, we are completely unique as a side. In the specific instance of Collingwood, they are playing the same game as us in name only in many facets.

I have been giving this a bit of thought though and have been having a look at some specifics for individuals, which is really interesting data.

Here's something that jumps out at me straight away. Of our 64 free kick deficit this season, 44% or 29 free kicks come from three players, Dustin, Bolton and Stack. Put Lynch in and it becomes 58.46% or 38 free kicks.

When you look at the first three the common trait is taking on the tackler and I'll wager a huge percentage of those frees are for holding the ball and fair enough. Before anyone says yes but Dustin gets pinged anytime someone tackles him, you have to remember that attempting to break a tackle means you must legally dispose of the ball immediately if you are tackled and that is what brings him down occasionally. (That's why the Vlastuin one was correct last week by the way :help). I watch Dustin's game like a Hawk (I was admonishing him for giving away 50 last week well before the umpire called it) and am the first to spot any time he is hard done by but generally when he gets caught, he is caught. It's a risk/reward element of the way he plays.

When you look through the rest of our individual free kick tally, I see a lot of logic. A fierce tackler who attacks the body like Graham (12-19) is down, a less physical player like Short (8-6) is up.

An agressive defender who takes opposition on like Vlastuin (13-18) is down, your more risk averse defenders like Grimes (12-11) and Astbury (4-5) more even.
Simplistic breaking it down Richo and you fight the good fight but on watching the finals ( all ) and most games this year to just put it down the way you have, individual players or the anomalies on our game style, for me personally it is too simplistic.

-Three umpires.
-Three different interpretations.
-Inconsistencies just in those two points.
-Coincidence that our successful period has coincided with such discrepancy in decisions from contest to contest or game to game.
-Media play a part ( subconsciously ) how we are umpired.
-Most times when we are the first game , our games & interpretations of the rules tend to be different, relaxed with the next game (s) especially when there is an uproar.

-Finally on field are our players complaining, lipping, disrespectful to the decisions umpires make? I don’t know because Jack just for example never gets a free and we know he use to be lippy in the beginning ala Richo.

** The free against Vlaustin ( in my view ) wasn’t a free. The ball got knocked out of his hands a second when he took procession

Respect you as a poster.
Knowledgeable.
Fair
And you do fight the good fight ( for umpires especially ).

*** We aren’t complaining ( I just think we are not umpired the same ) and three umpires aren’t helping . Actually I feel for the umpires somewhat as I blame the AFL & Hocking and the Rules Committee for the mess the game is in , in relation to the rules.

Last edited: