Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Be a good idea for us to send a video of the Saints and Eagles game to the umps to show how many times Zak Jones is holding Tim Kelly

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
Umpires woeful, we got reamed, nothing new, just gotta deal with it at Adelaide or Perth. But what underlined it for me, dusty in the centre, half took possession, ball spills, HTB free against. Soon after, rozee in their fwd line, exactly the same, free for HTM.
Turned it off not long after that.

TT33

Yellow & Black Member
Feb 17, 2004
Melbourne
Holding the ball rule has to change. If you dont dispose of it properly after being tackled it has to be holding the ball. It doesnt matter if it got knocked out, it slipped, you dropped it, missed your foot or hand. It has to be holding the ball.

So easy to adjudicate this one.

That's the way it used to be JK but the Dunder Heads at the AFL fiddled with it. (Again they stuffed things up)

Reactions: 1 user

KnightersRevenge

Baby Knighters is 7!! WTF??
Aug 21, 2007
Ireland
I'm not into conspiracy theories (let's not mention the 9/11 thread ;)) but I would hope questions are asked when an Ump pays frees only to one side over 4 quarters of football. Just statistically that seems to invite scrutiny. On Sydney; they haven't been traditional darlings, they have been close (relatively) to us for frees against over the last 5 years IIRC.

Willo

Tiger Legend
Oct 13, 2007
Aldinga Beach
I waiting for a class action against either the betting companies, the umpires or the AFL from a disgruntled punter who’d did his money courtesy of the blind cheats

pete and tys

Tiger Superstar
Feb 19, 2009
I posted on the other games site.....a Saints player was given a free for "" having to take evasive action ".
Is there any such rule ?
I doubt it.
The umpire just made one up on the spot.
If I am right, this is very troubling. Unheard of in any sport and it would confirm the umpires
have a free hand to adjudicate as they see fit.
This is a situation ripe for corruption.

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
Watched bits an pieces of a few games this year with no emotional or financial attachment, the variety in interpretation is ridiculous, *smile* if I know how to get any umpiring consistency in this game , is just way to open to interpretation

Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
So the suns blues game just had a touched play on scenario same as Basha last night.
Different outcome.
Ballup.
The little prick 11 did us over

Reactions: 2 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
That's 4 games now that the result has been directly influenced by poor umpiring. It's only round 4!

Geelong v Brisbane. Geelong V hawthorn. Essendon V Sydney and Port V Richmond.

They were incredibly poor against Sydney also, but so were we. Didn't change the result.

The standard of umpiring has never been worse, but not a word from AFL Media and zero consequences for umpiring displays like we saw from Deboy or O Gorman. No accountability whatsoever.

Multiple posters on here correctly predicted days ago that we'd get reamed in Adelaide and that Curtis DeBoy would kill us. That's not a good look for the integrity of the AFL. Even worse when specific umpires are linked to very biased performances against some teams.

Well done SHocking, Malcolm blight, Dan Richardson and the spineless AFL commission. You've made footy impossible to umpire and it's frustrating the hell out of coaches, players and especially fans.

Reactions: 6 users

TigerForce

Tiger Legend
Apr 26, 2004
I'm not into conspiracy theories (let's not mention the 9/11 thread ;)) but I would hope questions are asked when an Ump pays frees only to one side over 4 quarters of football. Just statistically that seems to invite scrutiny. On Sydney; they haven't been traditional darlings, they have been close (relatively) to us for frees against over the last 5 years IIRC.
I also want to know how three Swans players get nominated for the RS three weeks in a row.

Butch67

Tiger Rookie
Mar 31, 2014
Regarding the Bachar HTB, similar event in the 2017 GF with vlaustin and stevic calls a ball up and says a little common sense here. Have no confidence deboy has common sense

Reactions: 1 users

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
It's not the game that needs fixing, it's the f*cking umpiring!!!!
AFL will never acknowledge that, so they’ll keep messing around with the rules to try and fix non existent problems. Which actually makes the umpires job even more difficult.

Reactions: 3 users

tigerhalsey

RICHOOOO What A Mark!!
Jul 28, 2007
Melbourne
Holding the dropping, dropping the ball, incorrect disposal, the fundamentals of the game are no longer applied. Start paying these and then watch the game turn back to normal. They are just causing more problems but letting them go and causing more numbers around the ball making it even harder to umpire

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
I've said it before and I'll say it again: when one of your KPIs is to reduce the number of free kicks per game then there is no choice but to only pay some free kicks.

The umpiring is a joke.

DS

Reactions: 4 users

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
I've said it before and I'll say it again: when one of your KPIs is to reduce the number of free kicks per game then there is no choice but to only pay some free kicks.

The umpiring is a joke.

DS
Three times as many maggots crawling all over the game but they can't find half the free kicks that one maggot used to find. *smile* mental midgets can sure as hell shout instructions, prance n waggle like never before though.

• Haha

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
I don’t buy into umpires been cheats , some have bigger egos then others and love the roar of the crowd , an no doubt it’s human nature to react to the crowd at one sided crowds. However as I’ve said at adnauseum our rules are to open to interpretation, no other sport in the world makes it so hard for the officials , the big issue for me is the constant tweaks in the rules and constant adding of more grey areas. Now I’m not smart enough to have the answers, however I think we need a major overhaul of the rules, not so much change the great game, just make it much more black and white and easier to officiate , a less is more approach .

Every year people say the umpiring is worst then ever, been hearing it as long as I remember, we have to remember that 20 years ago we had less games, less umpires meaning we had the best 10 or so umps , now we have the best 30 odd , meaning the standard has to go down , again let’s make it easier for them, less interpretation. The frustration with fans is the inconsistency that we get with each decision, yes most they get technically correct, however same incident a minute later is paid a different way and again technically correct again.

SHocking is obviously the biggest problem with this in recent times , however if he trully wants to make the game better, strip it back and keep it simple .

Yesterday was out watching the young bloke play in a pretty ordinary standard of footy, they had a big 120 keg retired full back umpiring and he basically didn’t leave the centre square, however was excellent , kept it simple , when a bloke swore at him , bang 50 metre penalty, yes game was very slow standard , but he simply didn’t get over technical, just paid the obvious and both team were very happy with the way it was umpired.

p.S, protect the ball player and pull up the scragging tagger , people go to the footy to watch the stars , you want better high skilled footy , protect the players been obviously held

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 users