Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Death, taxes and umpires screwing over the Tigers. Facts of life, obviously isn’t going to change.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users

Relton Roberts

Tiger Cub
Sep 5, 2013
I know Umpire Interpretations may vary, but as long as umpires are consistently ordinary with their Interpretations for both sides, unfortunately though over the past 2 weeks against Swans and Port its quite evident that they're bias for one side exceeds the other side, in this incidence that other side being Richmond

There's a common theme to validate these points, with Richmond being bottom 3 for free kick differential over the past 6 years hence this cannot by just mere coincidence​

I wonder if the club is liaising with the umpiring department using video to argue our case, in particular Umpire De Bouy who doesn't hide this hatred for Richmond ?​

Reactions: 2 users

Mr Brightside

Tiger Legend
Jul 1, 2005
Wang
The Selwood duck, lead with the head is becoming rife in the game now, every game a player just angles the body so he’ll get a free, another rule not in the spirit of the game

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
The Selwood duck, lead with the head is becoming rife in the game now, every game a player just angles the body so he’ll get a free, another rule not in the spirit of the game
Yep, the other one that’s rife is the amount of players just throwing themselves forward as though they’ve been hit from behind by a Mack truck and the umpires getting sucked in every time.

King Kong

Tiger Legend
Aug 26, 2016
I don’t buy into umpires been cheats , some have bigger egos then others and love the roar of the crowd , an no doubt it’s human nature to react to the crowd at one sided crowds. However as I’ve said at adnauseum our rules are to open to interpretation, no other sport in the world makes it so hard for the officials , the big issue for me is the constant tweaks in the rules and constant adding of more grey areas. Now I’m not smart enough to have the answers, however I think we need a major overhaul of the rules, not so much change the great game, just make it much more black and white and easier to officiate , a less is more approach .

Every year people say the umpiring is worst then ever, been hearing it as long as I remember, we have to remember that 20 years ago we had less games, less umpires meaning we had the best 10 or so umps , now we have the best 30 odd , meaning the standard has to go down , again let’s make it easier for them, less interpretation. The frustration with fans is the inconsistency that we get with each decision, yes most they get technically correct, however same incident a minute later is paid a different way and again technically correct again.

SHocking is obviously the biggest problem with this in recent times , however if he trully wants to make the game better, strip it back and keep it simple .

Yesterday was out watching the young bloke play in a pretty ordinary standard of footy, they had a big 120 keg retired full back umpiring and he basically didn’t leave the centre square, however was excellent , kept it simple , when a bloke swore at him , bang 50 metre penalty, yes game was very slow standard , but he simply didn’t get over technical, just paid the obvious and both team were very happy with the way it was umpired.

p.S, protect the ball player and pull up the scragging tagger , people go to the footy to watch the stars , you want better high skilled footy , protect the players been obviously held
I know of 2 umpires with gambling issues (one former and one current). It would be nieve to think some games are not deliberately manipulated by the umps

Reactions: 1 users

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
p.S, protect the ball player and pull up the scragging tagger , people go to the footy to watch the stars , you want better high skilled footy , protect the players been obviously held

This is pretty much impossible to fix. They have let players grab an opponent who is trying to get the ball, but does not have possession, for so long that it is now accepted. Go and watch some footy from the 1970s and you will see that a player who is pushed or grabbed while trying to take possession gets a free kick (what you were allowed to do was to bump the player going for the ball).

What this has created is a situation where 2 players are going for the ball and both are discouraged, by bad rule interpretation, from trying to get the ball. The ball should always be the first option for a player, the first priority - but with the imbalance being skewed too much in favour of the tackling player we end up with a mess. The prior opportunity rule should have addressed this but the woeful umpiring means it can't.

2 solutions I would propose: pay holding the man and pay every free kick observed by the umpires. Simple really. There is a lot of talk about how the game has become more congested and a harking back to the good old days of the 1980s and 1990s - well, back then they paid a lot more free kicks which means we didn't have such a rolling maul because players could only tackle or hold a player who was actually in possession of the ball - unlike now where mids are grabbed all the time.

It is so simple, enforce the rules which have been around for 100 years.

DS

Reactions: 8 users

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
I don’t buy into umpires been cheats , some have bigger egos then others and love the roar of the crowd , an no doubt it’s human nature to react to the crowd at one sided crowds. However as I’ve said at adnauseum our rules are to open to interpretation, no other sport in the world makes it so hard for the officials , the big issue for me is the constant tweaks in the rules and constant adding of more grey areas. Now I’m not smart enough to have the answers, however I think we need a major overhaul of the rules, not so much change the great game, just make it much more black and white and easier to officiate , a less is more approach .

Every year people say the umpiring is worst then ever, been hearing it as long as I remember, we have to remember that 20 years ago we had less games, less umpires meaning we had the best 10 or so umps , now we have the best 30 odd , meaning the standard has to go down , again let’s make it easier for them, less interpretation. The frustration with fans is the inconsistency that we get with each decision, yes most they get technically correct, however same incident a minute later is paid a different way and again technically correct again.

SHocking is obviously the biggest problem with this in recent times , however if he trully wants to make the game better, strip it back and keep it simple .

Yesterday was out watching the young bloke play in a pretty ordinary standard of footy, they had a big 120 keg retired full back umpiring and he basically didn’t leave the centre square, however was excellent , kept it simple , when a bloke swore at him , bang 50 metre penalty, yes game was very slow standard , but he simply didn’t get over technical, just paid the obvious and both team were very happy with the way it was umpired.

Agree with all that Mr B, but when you get a Port Adelaide supporting umpire paying 10 frees to Port and 0 to the oppo, questions have to be asked about the possibility of cheating

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
Agree with all that Mr B, but when you get a Port Adelaide supporting umpire paying 10 frees to Port and 0 to the oppo, questions have to be asked about the possibility of cheating

It may not even be cheating. You know as Tigers we look at 50/50's and most times will favour the Richmond player, others will look at the same contest and see it the other way.

Pre-conceived bias is absolutely a thing (whether media created - Lynch - or club affiliation created) and its a serious problem IMO when you have umpires being allowed to umpire games with their own team playing. Its not that they will cheat, but be impacted by pre-conceived bias.

larabee

Tiger Champion
Jun 11, 2010
Tigerland
It may not even be cheating. You know as Tigers we look at 50/50's and most times will favour the Richmond player, others will look at the same contest and see it the other way.

Pre-conceived bias is absolutely a thing (whether media created - Lynch - or club affiliation created) and its a serious problem IMO when you have umpires being allowed to umpire games with their own team playing. Its not that they will cheat, but be impacted by pre-conceived bias.
I don’t usually go for the umpires are cheats bit either poshy. It’s a bloody hard game to umpire at the moment (when it should be quite strait forward) and the AFL keep making it harder

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
I don’t usually go for the umpires are cheats bit either poshy. It’s a bloody hard game to umpire at the moment (when it should be quite strait forward) and the AFL keep making it harder

Agree and their new rules meaning more and more relates to interpretation instead of being black and white, then the more impact that pre-conceived bias has on decision making. I also hold that to why Lynchy seems to get absolutely nothing from the umps. pre-concived media bias is he is a thug and therefore he instigates contact.

Last 2 years (when they started this narrative), when accounting for smaller quarters last year, Lynchy has received the lowest amount of frees for, and has also had the highest amount of frees against. Pre-conceived bias, creates a lot of doubt regarding interpretation in the umpires minds.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
You’d hope it’s a one off hey mate

From memory it is not a one-off with that particular umpire, I seem to recall another game where his frees were something like 10-1 against us. Surely this needs to be looked into.

We refused to play a VFA Grand Final over 100 years ago because we refused the umpire chosen, time to stand up again.

DS

CarnTheTiges

This is a REAL tiger
Mar 8, 2004
Victoria
These blokes are actually affecting / impacting directly on the outcome of games now.
That’s what they want. Good umpires should be invisible, but the ones we’ve got now think they’re the stars of the show and act accordingly. Miking them up was one if the worst mistakes ever made.

Reactions: 6 users

mrposhman

Tiger Legend
Oct 6, 2013
That’s what they want. Good umpires should be invisible, but the ones we’ve got now think they’re the stars of the show and act accordingly. Miking them up was one if the worst mistakes ever made.
Giving them names was worse. We shouldn't even want to know who they are, now everyone knows who they are they believe they are part of the spectacle.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
Just watching the VFL highlights. About 30 seconds in, CCJ takes a mark, is walking back to make his next move and is called play on.

Laughable umpiring at the next level down too.

DS

seven

Super Tiger
Apr 20, 2004
Yep, the other one that’s rife is the amount of players just throwing themselves forward as though they’ve been hit from behind by a Mack truck and the umpires getting sucked in every time.
Yes. I call it the Dangerfield dive.