Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
There's merit in the first two points, not sure where the whistle theory comes from though!

What exactly is this 'hard data' supposed to be proving? All that data shows is like every single statistical measure in the competition, there are teams who are better and teams that are worse at it. It says absolutely nothing about the level of umpiring whatsoever.
Worst at what TBR?
The frees for and against are for a myriad of different frees, which encompasses a huge array of individual rules.
What are the odds that year after year we consistently rate as the bottom team for free differential? The odds would be staggeringly low and yet here we are!! That’s the hard data I’m referring to. It’s not a tackling statistic.
And It’s not hard to understand

Reactions: 1 users

Mycotchinrules

That's just like, your opinion, man
Mar 17, 2014
We are fked on Friday night.
Footscary kick 8 metres
They throw the ball
And they hold the ball.
We might go 23-Nil
They will ream us
I know Zips has put some mayo on this, but the sentiment is correct

3 days out from the game and most of us KNOW we will get reamed by umpires.

We won't win the free kick count, and if we cop 1 or 2 of the usual suspects (De boy, O Gorman, etc) then it could get messy.

How is this OK? How does the AFL have any integrity at all? Why can't we enter a game thinking that we will be umpired to the same standards as our opposition?

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
What you are hearing are the other umpires on the ground. They are all connected via the mic system and wear earpieces so they can communicate with each other. Often for a deliberate the out of zone umpire will confirm it because they can see the angles.

You will often here them in the background saying things like yours on the kick etc so they know when they are passing control of the ball.
Thanks for that, if this is true it means even when an umpire is not officially the "man" he can influence the other "umps". If this is true. It is a blight on the ga,e. Biggus dickus rules.

amc11

Tiger Rookie
Dec 7, 2018
As for the odds, is it really surprising that the same core group of players would show the same statistical pattern over a few seasons? Pretty logical I'd say.

Makes a lot of sense to me although what I'm really struggling with this year is the complete turnaround in the interpretation of holding the ball/dropping the ball/incorrect disposal ruling across the board not just Richmond games. Frustrating to watch and almost seems like a trade off with the stand/man on the mark rule.

Reactions: 1 user

HR

Tiger Superstar
Mar 20, 2013
Which decisions? Not including all the throws and "Holding the Man" frees not paid the 3 that stand out were the, well, one was a HTM.

1. McIntosh was mauled inside the 50 in the 1st quarter. Grabbed without it, pulled to the ground and the held down. Plain as day. Not a hard free to pay. "Play on" was the call.

2. The *smile* free paid against Pickett. Seeing as he literally didn't infringe that means the umpire "guessed". Never guess. Pay only what you see.

3. It was Pickett (Melb) who infringed on Baker. He elbowed him in the head. Twice.

Other than that the one that always bugs me is the off-the-ball holding inside our forward 50. The "third umpire" was instituted specifically to stop it. He was supposed to be not watching the play as much watching for infringements against forwards. I know it has "evolved" but that was why the 3rd ump was brought in.

And I would agree that the free kick differential doesn't tell the whole story. 5 years, or there abouts, of being consistently and sometimes wildly on the wrong end of that, does need to be addressed.
Yeah the umps were biased for Melbourne, the pickett free and subsequent free for 2 goals were a testament to that. King the only media to call it out that I have seen, elbow to the head, no funking drama for Melbourne. Absolutely clear as day, but we all agree it didn't cost us the game. So, I reckon it means the AFL want Melbourne and the Chuckers to play in a gf. Good funking luck, its a long season. Go tigers

Reactions: 3 users

Dont Argue

Tiger Legend
Jun 26, 2018
Jason McCartney charged $20K just to vent frustration over the flogs. Pathetic.
Worth every cent.
I advocate we start a go fund me page to raise $20k.
We’ll send Leon and Zips in to gently express our dissatisfaction.
Our man TBR can make sure the door is not locked from the inside

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
View attachment 12026
I call it as I see it.
And the facts don’t lie.
Maybe this is to small a sample to be conclusive. Perhaps we need the numbers from the previous four years as well to see if any genuine pattern of bias can be established. Like who's always at or near the top of the free kick count n who's always hiding under the compost at the bottom of the veggie patch.

TigerMasochist

Walks softly carries a big stick.
Jul 13, 2003
:clap2

And there is what should be the key question that is almost never asked. The true measure of umpiring is which decisions were right and wrong, not how many did each side give and get.
Never bothers me as to how many frees either side gets.
Can guarantee that over the years, the umpires get a hell of a lot more decisions right than they get wrong.
For mine though, the true measure of the umpiring is how many decisions they missed or just plain didn't bother making at all.
Doesn't matter what team is playing, time and time again when watching games the umpires will pay a free kick for a certain infringement and then completely miss, ignore another two or three infringements that are virtually identical to the previous one paid.
It's the simplest call possible. There's the rule book, if the rule is broken then pay the *smile* free kick. Ten frees, fifty frees or a hundred frees doesn't matter. Just adjudicate all the free kicks as they occur, there's far to much *smile* non adjudicating goes on in a game to " keep the game flowing " followed up by incompetent nit picking of insignificant infringements.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Which decisions in the Melbourne game do we think the umpires got wrong?
Watched first quarter again.

- McIntosh pushed from behind and contacted from the front while attempting to mark, 20m out. Only one of the three players attempting to mark, opponents focused on body. This is the type of free that goes against us at the other end.
- Grimes pinged for arm chop on Neal-Bullen, outer wing. Contact was vanishingly small. Nobody wants to see these paid.
- Nankervis' legs taken ~7m in from boundary, second free paid for deliberate, Nankervis kicks from boundary and hits post.
- Gawn awarded mark after Riewoldt spoils to Rioli. Only had it briefly, probably a good decision, but Nankervis had it for much longer v Sydney and was denied which cost us a goal.
- Pickett forward pocket, anticipating contact, drops mark. Mansell anticipating mark, attempts late spoil with arm across torso. Soft.
- Short with dinky outside of the boot pass to Mansell, called not 15. Ground is mown in 15m strips and Short clearly kicks from a dark strip, across a light strip, to another dark strip. Inconsequential, but perception error from umpire.
- Baker tackled without ball at half back. 50/50, happy to let it go.
- Grimes blocked by Jones running away from the ball when running to contest a mark, members' wing.

There was one other that I can't recall now. Overall not a terrible quarter of umpiring, no absolute howlers, 6-5 their way, Richmond ahead on the scoreboard. Point is that umpires are never going to be in the good books with fans and this thread will always have a place.

Last edited:

Legends of 2017

Finally!!!!!!!!!!!
Mar 24, 2005
Melbourne
Makes a lot of sense to me although what I'm really struggling with this year is the complete turnaround in the interpretation of holding the ball/dropping the ball/incorrect disposal ruling across the board not just Richmond games. Frustrating to watch and almost seems like a trade off with the stand/man on the mark rule.
That should be one of the easiest rules to adjudicate shouldn’t it. If a player has possession of the ball and has had an opportunity to dispose of it ( played on, tried to break/evade a tackle etc), and hasn’t handballed or kicked it then is tackled, it’s holding the ball or incorrect disposal. None of this knocked out in the tackle *smile*

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
It would be interesting to undertake the same exercise from the Melbourne point of view.
Saw a couple of what looked like throws from our blokes. One or two other frees that could've been paid their way.

Melbourne supporters gave a bronx cheer after one of their frees, despite winning the count for the quarter.

DavidSSS

Tiger Legend
Dec 11, 2017
Melbourne
How is this OK? How does the AFL have any integrity at all? Why can't we enter a game thinking that we will be umpired to the same standards as our opposition?

This

Yeah the umps were biased for Melbourne, the pickett free and subsequent free for 2 goals were a testament to that. King the only media to call it out that I have seen, elbow to the head, no funking drama for Melbourne. Absolutely clear as day, but we all agree it didn't cost us the game. So, I reckon it means the AFL want Melbourne and the Chuckers to play in a gf. Good funking luck, its a long season. Go tigers

Plus this, if you are a Melbourne player you get the free kick when you elbow an opposition player. Ridiculous. Seriously, imagine if Lynch did this - it would be a free down the other end. To cap it off they got another free in the same piece of play, and for what? Flopping that's what. Reminds me of how KMac got concussed a few weeks ago and the free was paid against him.

I'll add another, goal square Punt Rd end, Balta held as the ball comes in, clear as day, everyone could see it, jumper being pulled very very obviously. If the umpires cannot see this they do not deserve to be picked to adjudicate the highest level of the game, simple. How can such incompetence be acceptable in the highest level of our game.

It simply is not good enough.

If I had the time I would go through a few neutral games and pick out the howlers - I know they will be there because the umpires are always missing frees and paying soft frees and generally displaying their incompetence.

It would be interesting to undertake the same exercise from the Melbourne point of view.

Which is actually a further indictment on the umpiring because I am absolutely certain that the Melbourne supporters would be able to find a fair number of howlers which didn't go their way.

I still come back to the same thing - when the umpires are instructed to reduce the number of free kicks awarded per game, they are going to ignore some infringements that they observe, and they are going to be inconsistent. It is unbelievably stupid to set this as a goal, especially in a professional sport where the players, coaches and teams will push the envelope. Just pay the free kicks you observe, don't pick and choose.

DS