Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

Mopsy

"I can feel Tigermania flowing through my veins"
Jan 9, 2005
Brisbane
Assuming that's a genuine question, yep correct call.

The key is prior opportunity. He is being tackled as the ball goes into his hands so no prior opportunity. That means unless he doesn't make an attempt to dispose of the ball then it cannot be holding the ball. He is clearly trying to dispose of the ball and attempts to kick it. It doesn't matter that he misses the kick again because of prior opportunity, because without that he only has to attempt to dispose the ball, it's ok if it spills out in the attempt.

The worst decision of the first quarter and probably the half was when Aarts got it on the flank and tried to fend and then lost the ball in the tackle. Once you try and fend or break a tackle your prior is gone so that was a clear holding the ball. That one didn't mentioned that one on here though.

Sorry TBR, but you can’t have it both ways.

Wood clearly took on the tackler, and disposed of the ball incorrectly.

Htb every day of the week

Reactions: 3 users

BrisTiger24

Out: Chimp In: Camel
Oct 16, 2003
Brisbane
No it's not. Prior only exists before you are tackled.

No need for tantrums. Feel free to explain why it's a free kick according to the rules if you wish but without prior opportunity it can only be holding the ball if you don't make a genuine attempt to dispose of the ball.
Because he had prior opportunity and, even failing that, he didn't dispose correctly of the ball. You are defending the indefensible

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
How do you have prior opportunity when you are tackled the instant you take the ball?

And without prior there is no incorrect disposal.
If you take possession and I immediately tug your jumper, you didn’t have prior. Are you allowed to stand there in possession or are you required to dispose of it some time within the next five seconds?

RoarEmotion

Tiger Legend
Aug 20, 2005
Not a surprise we break even or maybe even win the free kick count and it makes a difference on the score board.

Reactions: 1 users

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
if you are pinned by one arm you can hold the ball instead of releasing it
If you can show me where the rules state that, I will contritely concede defeat. The arm holding the ball is free, the ball is not locked in, it’s a near-perfect tackle. Admittedly I haven’t seen it rewarded very often this year, but it was usually paid in the past.

Reactions: 1 user

eZyT

Tiger Legend
Jun 28, 2019
something drastic shifted in the 2nd half.

It was like Jason McCarthy burst into the umps rooms?

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
Assuming that's a genuine question, yep correct call.

The key is prior opportunity. He is being tackled as the ball goes into his hands so no prior opportunity. That means unless he doesn't make an attempt to dispose of the ball then it cannot be holding the ball. He is clearly trying to dispose of the ball and attempts to kick it. It doesn't matter that he misses the kick again because of prior opportunity, because without that he only has to attempt to dispose the ball, it's ok if it spills out in the attempt.

The worst decision of the first quarter and probably the half was when Aarts got it on the flank and tried to fend and then lost the ball in the tackle. Once you try and fend or break a tackle your prior is gone so that was a clear holding the ball. That one didn't mentioned that one on here though.
Brilliant trolling, top shelf. :D

Reactions: 1 user

TigerFlag2017

Tiger Legend
May 16, 2007
I reckon the Tiger Army got us a few frees today. Mind you plenty were bloody missed.

Grimes' goal incident was clearly a free kick.

tigertim

something funny is written here
Mar 6, 2004
I can explain exactly why a decision is made, that's how you respond. That's pretty instructive.
You bag posters here for being biased and one eyed but you can’t see how one eyed you are for the umpires. Why don’t you come clean and divulge your affiliation with them?