Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

casper68

Tiger Champion
Oct 20, 2004
dromana
Sintiger said:
The problem with this is that when we complain about the Umps and we have lost we appear to have sour grapes.

Umpires make mistakes and I am sure there are no conspiracies going on but those 3 decisions were perfect examples of the opposite to what we keep on hearing from the Umpire fraternity.

- Jetta's push in the back, so clearly hands in the back they should put it in the video.
- Watson's duck of the head was nothing more than an attempt to milk a free.
- Stanton pulling the ball back under Maric. The only excuse I can make is that the Umpire was on the other side, which means he guessed of course.

If they had not been paid would we have won ? Who knows? The fact is that if that had happened the game would have been totally different , it's just not correct to say it cost 3 goals and therefore we would have lost by 1 point. It doesn't happen that way.

I wish we could express the view about them after we had won the game and then it appears less self serving. We only have ourselves to blame for that imo as we should have won the game anyway.
go and read the tackle even Robbo wasn't happy with the Maric holding the ball decision.Robbo also has a go about Jetta for diving.After watching us play the swans and then the bombers l think it must be a Jetta family trait to be soft.

jdb

Tiger Rookie
Apr 26, 2005
Richmond
The truth did richmond did cop a really rough deal. I have watched the game again just to check and the worst I've seen for ages.

the only problem is if we took our chances in the 3rd we wouldn't even be talking about this.

Sometimes things go against you, and you can't blame the umpires for us getting behind by 7 goals.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
Sintiger said:
I wish we could express the view about them after we had won the game and then it appears less self serving. We only have ourselves to blame for that imo as we should have won the game anyway.

Like the Port Adelaide game and the ridiculous run of frees in the 3rd to let em back in?

tiges

Tiger Superstar
Apr 16, 2007
evo said:
That one was particularly *smile*, I thought.

Yer the Watson free kick was a joke, lol, geez only last week the media etc were all talking about
players staging for free kicks when tackled high or ducking, what happens Watson does just that and free kick and goal.

Sintiger

Tiger Legend
Aug 11, 2010
Camberwell
GoodOne said:
Like the Port Adelaide game and the ridiculous run of frees in the 3rd to let em back in?
GoodOne, I am just commenting on the perception that when a group of supporters complain about frees when they lose it invariably gets seen as sour grapes.

My remote had a good working over in the 3rd quarter against the Power as well ;D

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
Sintiger said:
GoodOne, I am just commenting on the perception that when a group of supporters complain about frees when they lose it invariably gets seen as sour grapes.

My remote had a good working over in the 3rd quarter against the Power as well ;D

Gotcha. In the end if we took our chances with set shots at goal we would have been able to talk about the umpires without the sour grapes.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Was expecting a merciless shitstir today from the Bomber supporter in the office. First thing he said was "Great game, reckon you blokes got a raw deal from the umpires."

GEDS1

Richo's last lap
Apr 15, 2007
Cripes I just watched it again and may I say we did cop a raw deal although we threw the ball a few times the frees they got were very damaging. The worst of the lot (apart from Ivan's - he did fall on the ball but did make an attempt to clear it and at the end of the day was not actually holding the ball) was the Hocking dropping the ball and subsequent goal from that hack player 40. He put it down cold and it's a blight on our game that it was missed.

Maybe umpires need a television view of things to get it right because at ground level and with the speed of the game it would be very hard to umpire.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
The free kicks that are given do not present any problem. They are nearly always there. It is the ones that are not given that influence games. There are many of those every game.

The free kick count at quarter time in this game was 7 frees to 1. Does this mean that only one Essendon player applied a sloppy tackle, was caught with the ball, disposed of it incorrectly, infringed in a marking contest or held a Richmond player off the ball for the whole quarter? It only happened once? In 30 minutes of Football? Really? I find that hard to believe.

Richmond only had one free kick in the second quarter too. Essendon are either the cleanest team in history or something else is happening.

Common sense would suggest that what is really happening is that there are many infringements of the rules each quarter and the umpires choose to let most of them go unpunished in order to keep the game flowing, which is all well and good. We all want the game to flow. There would be nothing more boring than a game where every contest was resolved with a free kick.

If a game is umpired in a way where many of the infringements are ignored in the interests of the spectacle, then why does it happen that one team gets 7 free kicks while the other gets one? That is not right as it gives that team such an enormous advantage.

Surely, if the tallies were kept closer together then the umpires’ influence would disappear out of the game? Surely, if each team received a handful of frees each quarter the game would flow in both directions? Surely if infringements were consistently punished so that both teams were given shots on goal when the forward had his arms chopped in the contest, or both teams were given the occasional iffy one in the centre square to help clear the ball out of there, then the game would be officiated much more fairly? Surely, we would then have no reason to discuss umpires at all?

And stop calling me Shirley!

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
I reckon we got a rough deal with the umps, but that should not detract from the areas of the game that we (i.e. the club) can control.

Rance letting Crameri run straight through him and bombing the ball into Monfires in the square cost us a goal.
Houli going to ground in the marking contest when Jetta marked over him cost us a goal.
Foley missing from 30 metres straight in front cost us a goal.
Cotchin hitting up Monfries with a short pass inside defensive 50 rather than going long cost us a goal.
Martin missing from 20 metres out directly in front cost us a goal.
Martin diving to try and mark Nahas' long kick in the goalsquare probably cost us a goal.
Miller not making the journey from 40 metres cost us a goal.

And on it goes.

I just don't like seeing the real reasons why we lost overshadowed by bleating about the umpires. The umpires didn't lose us the game. Our lack of composure at critical times cost us the game. Again.

SfB_AkA._DeLiCiOuS

Tiger Legend
Mar 12, 2004
East Melbourne
Punxsutawney Phil said:
I reckon we got a rough deal with the umps, but that should not detract from the areas of the game that we (i.e. the club) can control.

Rance letting Crameri run straight through him and bombing the ball into Monfires in the square cost us a goal.
Houli going to ground in the marking contest when Jetta marked over him cost us a goal.
Cotchin hitting up Monfries with a short pass inside defensive 50 rather than going long cost us a goal.
Martin diving to try and mark Nahas' long kick in the goalsquare probably cost us a goal.

And on it goes.

I just don't like seeing the real reasons why we lost overshadowed by bleating about the umpires. The umpires didn't lose us the game. Our lack of composure at critical times cost us the game. Again.

I agree, the umps contributed but wasn't the reason....blaming the umpires for a loss is a cop out.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TOT70 said:
If a game is umpired in a way where many of the infringements are ignored in the interests of the spectacle, then why does it happen that one team gets 7 free kicks while the other gets one? That is not right as it gives that team such an enormous advantage.

While it doesn't necessarily follow that the frees should end up even...

Since Hardwick took over, our entire free kick differential is accounted for by four players (Jackson -31, McGuane -29, King -23, Graham -19). Yet even with two of those players out of the side, we usually finish in the red. In contrast to some other clubs, a number of our mids are in deficit over the last three years - Foley, Martin, Grigg, Conca, Tuck.

Is our style of play too negative? Are we undisciplined?

Punxsutawney Phil said:

Fair enough comment, we should've won the game despite them.

TOT70

I'm just a suburban boy
Jul 27, 2004
Melbourne
Punxsutawney Phil said:

And on it goes.

Yeah, all these things did exactly as you say. The umpiring is what it is. The Tigers lost because they had to chase down a big margin in the second half and failed to take their chances when they had them. End of story. That's three games this year that were winnable and should have been won with a bit of composure. It had nothing to do with the bottom six players not being good enough or any other convenient excuse. As you point out, many of the misses were from our stars like Riewoldt, Martin, Deledio and Foley.

For me, the umpiring issue is deeper than just what happens in one game. I hate seeing periods in a game, any game, where one team gets a procession of frees while the other gets nothing and I hate inconsistency, such as the occasional plucked free for a "hands-on-the-back" or 'Chopping-the-arms-in-the-marking contest" when the same thing goes unpunished a minute later at the other end. If an umpire is going to gift a team a goal through a dodgy free, then he should have the decency to do the same for the other team.

The hardest and most valuable thing to do in Football is to kick goals. My sense of fair-play is deeply offended when one team gets five or six goals from the umpires while the other gets none. My love of the Tigers is even more deeply offended when it happens to them.

Its an emotional response, I know.

Punxsutawney Phil

Its Groundhog Day- same sh!t, different year
Apr 2, 2007
TOT70 said:
The hardest and most valuable thing to do in Football is to kick goals. My sense of fair-play is deeply offended when one team gets five or six goals from the umpires while the other gets none. My love of the Tigers is even more deeply offended when it happens to them.

Its an emotional response, I know.

And football is an emotional game.

I agree the umpires can be bad at times and it does impact on games, there is no doubt.

Ferocious

Tiger Rookie
Feb 11, 2012
Punxsutawney Phil said:

And on it goes.

You are spot on Phil, but I just want to enjoy the game and not want to jump through the TV and punch an official. I don't want to/shouldn't have to think about the umpires during a game. It takes away from the enjoyment of watching my beloved tigers. I can forgive mistakes but when it's blatant favouritism, a stand must be made.

puregreen

Tiger Champion
Dec 6, 2009
Saw one of the most amazing decisions yesterday in the West Coast game where Darling (I think) got awarded a push-in-the-back free kick, the loose ball was picked almost immediately by an Eagle who took one or 2 steps then pulled up because Milne was right next to him, indicating that he didn't want to take advantage and threw the ball back in Darling's direction.

The umpire had called advantage almost immediately, didn't take into account that the player stopped running and had thrown the ball back and proceeded to pay a free against him for throwing the ball!!!

Just extraordinary.

Nico

You psychopathological reactionary!
Jul 1, 2004
Melbourne
I get very frustrated when very basic aspects of the game are umpired poorly. If they can't get the basics correct, how can they handle the line-ball decisions?

For example, Jetta takes a mark in the MCC pocket, city end in the 2nd qtr. He turns around and walks back to take the shot on goal, but walks towards the centre to open up the angle, thus never being behind the mark (no problem with that, you have to have a crack at opening up the goal). He then plays on and kicks an easy goal. Strangely enough, the ump was yelling no, no, no when he took off, then signalled all clear. It's such a basic rule that you have to be behind the mark before you can play on. He probably would have kicked the goal anyway, but you never know.

Small point I know, but a real pet peeve of mine.

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
Team Agg said:
Just watched the game for first time and snapped the second *smile*ing remote control in half. Have no tv remotes left. I destroyed the first one during he W/Coast game. *smile*.. bannister was an ex essendon player, hence the crap he dished up to us. It was like letting an Indian cricket umpire officiate an Indian test. We get steamrolled by these pricks every week.

You should come to our anger management sessions, they're really good.