Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute! | PUNT ROAD END | Richmond Tigers Forum
  • IMPORTANT // Please look after your loved ones, yourself and be kind to others. If you are feeling that the world is too hard to handle there is always help - I implore you not to hesitate in contacting one of these wonderful organisations Lifeline and Beyond Blue ... and I'm sure reaching out to our PRE community we will find a way to help. T.

Umpire farce - Getting worse by the minute!

GoodOne

Tiger Legend
Apr 2, 2004
GEDS1 said:
The worst of the lot (apart from Ivan's - he did fall on the ball but did make an attempt to clear it and at the end of the day was not actually holding the ball) was the Hocking dropping the ball and subsequent goal from that hack player 40.

Even worse, two minutes later we did exactly the same thing and got pinged.

Batchelor Party

Tiger Matchwinner
Mar 25, 2011
USA
Nico said:
I get very frustrated when very basic aspects of the game are umpired poorly. If they can't get the basics correct, how can they handle the line-ball decisions?

For example, Jetta takes a mark in the MCC pocket, city end in the 2nd qtr. He turns around and walks back to take the shot on goal, but walks towards the centre to open up the angle, thus never being behind the mark (no problem with that, you have to have a crack at opening up the goal). He then plays on and kicks an easy goal. Strangely enough, the ump was yelling no, no, no when he took off, then signalled all clear. It's such a basic rule that you have to be behind the mark before you can play on. He probably would have kicked the goal anyway, but you never know.

Small point I know, but a real pet peeve of mine.

Wondered about that as well, the umpire clearly allowed Jetta to play on before he went back behind the mark. Umpires are supposed control the game, he should have been brought back behind the mark--may not have altered the result but it was very poor.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
TOT70 said:
The hardest and most valuable thing to do in Football is to kick goals.

And they're more valuable than ever before; fewer goals are being scored per match than at any time since 1970.

I watched a replay from 1990 last night and the umpiring seemed amazingly poor. But the play flowed freely, scoring was brisk, and the bad decisions didn't have the same impact as they would today. Just as greater accountability has been demanded of the players, it is also required of umpires, as decisions which result in scores are so crucial.

ToraToraTora

Two outta three ain't bad.
Mar 21, 2005
QLD
Just listening to the late night guys on SEN, and they reckon, and I agree Maric said "He had the ball!" Can someone enlighten me what the rule is here? Why didn't the Ess player cop 50m for saying "Are you kidding?" to me "Are you kidding?" is more confrontational than "He had the ball" which is simply instructive or correctional. "Are you kidding?" carries a tone of disparaging mockery.

Harry

Tiger Legend
Mar 2, 2003
the problem is the umpires are bombarded with so many rule changes and interpretations and the focus changes from week to week that they don't know how to umpire the game instead they umpire the rules and interpretations. They look out for something that resembles a rule and interpretation and lose all feel for the game. eg huge focus is placed on contact to the head, so a player leading head first to someones knees will always get a free because the contact to the head was there regardless of the intent of the player milking a free. they have become nervous fools, afraid to miss a rule and interpretation and can't umpire the overall contest for what it is. on top of that they are influenced by reputation and the crowd.

iLoVeNeWmAn

RFC - can't live with 'em, can't live without 'em
Apr 15, 2003
www.abcsports.com.au
Harry said:
the problem is the umpires are bombarded with so many rule changes and interpretations and the focus changes from week to week that they don't know how to umpire the game instead they umpire the rules and interpretations. They look out for something that resembles a rule and interpretation and lose all feel for the game. eg huge focus is placed on contact to the head, so a player leading head first to someones knees will always get a free because the contact to the head was there regardless of the intent of the player milking a free. they have become nervous fools, afraid to miss a rule and interpretation and can't umpire the overall contest for what it is. on top of that they are influenced by reputation and the crowd.

Well said. Agree 100% with all of that H. That's the main problem that needs addressing and fixing ASAP. Let the game flow and pick on the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS infringements only, just how it used to be.

evo

Tiger Legend
Nov 25, 2003
Jukes Extended said:
I agree, the umps contributed but wasn't the reason....blaming the umpires for a loss is a cop out.

It can't be both? Why is everything binary?

We made mistakes; the umpires made mistakes.

doherz

Tiger Superstar
Apr 24, 2004
Tigerland
www.informtech.com.au
Newman said:
Well said. Agree 100% with all of that H. That's the main problem that needs addressing and fixing ASAP. Let the game flow and pick on the BLATANTLY OBVIOUS infringements only, just how it used to be.

it used to be that way because we only had one or two field umps and the boundaries and goal umps never got involved.

its way to overofficiated these days.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Ferocious said:
You are spot on Phil, but I just want to enjoy the game and not want to jump through the TV and punch an official. I don't want to/shouldn't have to think about the umpires during a game. It takes away from the enjoyment of watching my beloved tigers. I can forgive mistakes but when it's blatant favouritism, a stand must be made.

Spot on.

:clap

I'm not letting the AFL get away with THAT Shyte we saw on SAturday Night.
When we lay two text book tackles and nothing then Maric gets the ball held to him and a free paid to Essendon,which p!ssed Maric off,Gees the pope or the Dala lama would've got into a tantrum over that decision,then the umpire pulls out the 50 all because of his fear ,when Richmond were strongly coming back into the game.
I can't get over how shyte the umpiring was.

He should be sent to the MRP Bannister for staging.

Anyone just watch the replay of the game but have a wire fence in front of the TV so you don't throw the remote into the screen.

It reminded me of Armstrongs umpiring against Sydney in Sydney last year.

McBurney's 3rdquarter for Port and the other 50s against West Coast.

Is Armstrong still umpiring?

THese 3 are on the BLACK LIST.

BANNISTER,ARMSTRONG and MCBURNEY.

Be very afraid the next time these goons umpire a Richmond game.

The Lurker

In Victory We Thrive, Eat Em Alive
Nov 24, 2003
Melbourne
I thought it was just me being one eyed. But we seem to be consistently on the wrong end of the stick. The umpires seem to be consistently inconsistent.

I am hopful once we become a good team, that we will be the team getting the benefit of the umpiring bias....

Azza

Tiger Champion
Aug 30, 2007
I don't think the umpires are biased in trying to favour one team or another. I think that because the game is so difficult to umpire with lots of subjective calls that they're influenced by sub-conscious perceptions of which is the 'better' team, and by one-sided crowds.

We have to improve to the point that we get those favourable decisions rather than the opposition.

But I also think the AFL has to be more transparent about what it's doing to correct umpire bias. They're privately pulled-up on individual clanger decisions, but does anyone try to identify bias and correct it? Maybe the umpiring department does, but you'd never know about it. I understand why the umpires are protected to some extent, but everyone knows they stuff-up. We need to know that something's being done about it. But it's just not the AFL's style to be open and accountable.

smasha

Richmond Forever
May 23, 2003
Bundoora
Heard that Dimma copped a 5k fine for telling the emerg umpire off in the 3rd.

AFL corruption strikes again.

The Goose and Adolf.

It's hard when you have 2 Richmond haters in headjobs at the AFL.

Ferocious

Tiger Rookie
Feb 11, 2012
Did anyone catch the umpire piece on AFL insider last night?

It showed Rohan Saunders taking the filed umps through a game (not ours) and highlighting the good decisions and their bad.

They'd have to put aside 3 days to go through the Bombers game.

rimau35

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 26, 2010
SE QLD
Ferocious said:

It showed Rohan Saunders taking the filed umps through a game (not ours) and highlighting the good decisions and their bad.

Yeah it just showed us all just how much the umpires are out of touch and trying to protect their own...........at all expense, just like Craig Thomson in the national parlyfarce.

Why would an umpire coach, AKA Rohan Saunders, be talking to the umpires about how play is progressing towards the forward line and what sort of decisions need to made in that circumstance?

Just pay the real free kicks you bloody maggots.

Hands in the back, shoulder in the back, knees in the back.........who bloody cares....if its "in the back" pay the bloody free. If not ...............PLAY ON.

The AFL needs to bring the umpires, oops, sorry ....maggots, into the mainstream AFL sytem instead of isolating them.

Let the clubs, the press and media (sorry but these press and media morons need to be part of it too) treat the maggots just the same as they treat the players, coaches and officials.

Allow them to be praised publically, and critiscised publically.

Get them into the rooms before and after a game. Get them onto the footy TV shows. Make the good ones Legends of the Game.

Put them under the same pressure and media scrutiny that the players and coaches are under..............and hopefully they respond to this pressure and RAISE THEIR BLOODY GAME.

The maggots would then become respected citizens within our great game and would no longer be called bloody maggots..... the real respect for their craft will filter down through the minor leagues and we will have quality umpires coming into the system instead of the NFI maggots who have grown up to block out the critiscism "for the good of the game" and hate the attention that the players get.

Wouldn't it be nice to meet any AFL umpire and get the chance to shake his hand and congratulate him on a wonderful game, or career?

Not in my lifetime the way the AFL is carrying on.

LeeToRainesToRoach

Tiger Legend
Jun 4, 2006
Melbourne
Ferocious said:

Yeah, was hopeful they were going to do our game when they showed Shane Stewart (#10).

gold1

Tiger Champion
Feb 24, 2008
Whilst there were 2 decisions (maric, hunt with the geel/coll game) that clearly cost the losers the game based on ONLY those decisions we need to get things into perspective.We were 42 points down,Geelong were also coming from behind.Umpires have a crap of a job because by and large they can only be right 50 per cent of the time.Give me the human side of it over the video induced rubbish anytime.

rimau35

Tiger Matchwinner
Aug 26, 2010
SE QLD
I'll jump back on my high horse....his name is Trigger by the way. :cutelaugh

While the AFL continues to isolate their so called UMPIRES from the rest of the game the second most serious defect in the game will be forever a blight on our mighty game.

The most serious defect in our game is GOAL KICKING. When someone comes up with a method to kick more goals than behinds from set shots our game will be transformed.

The second most serious defect in our game is the inconsistency of the decisions.....and non-decisions....made by the maggots.

We all accept that they can't see everything.....but to see the same thing in a different manor is unforgivable, both from a players perspective and from the stands, where the reputation of the game lives.

Ivan Maric attacked the footy as he went to ground in that well remembered incident on Saturday night. During Ivan's attack on the footy the Bummer took possesion of the footy from him but the maggot got the decision wrong. He then showed what a soft male rooster he was by paying a 50m penalty when Ivan said something that most MEN take in their stride in their everyday lives.

But that bloody maggot chief Giesh, in his best effort to keep his job, told us all that the maggot made the right decision.

BULLDUST. By the way it is easy to tell the difference between COWDUST and BULLDUST. Just throw a pat of each into the air and the one that doesn't come down is BULLDUST.

The sort of BULLDUST that the Giesh unleashes.

It would be nice if the AFL put someone who respected the mighty game of footy into such an important job.

bowden4president

Stackman
Feb 19, 2005
Punt Rd
What annoys me most is because the AFL stick their head in the sand about the average standard of umpire, nothing gets done about it. Because the umpire can't be criticized, they probably go on as if they are doing a great job, when in reality they aren't.

The AFL are so worried that if people are allowed to criticize umpires, there will be no new ones to come in. If they fixed the standard of umpiring to an acceptable level, they wouldn't have anything to worry about.

With the current TV deal($$$$) the first thing would be to make Umpires full time. They should spend the week like AFL players do, reviewing their performance, and working on ways to improve that performance. Part time umpires in a Billion dollar competition is just ridiculous.